Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #51
verter
Spike

Hunt In: Somerville PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunt7 View Post
this may sound funny but I've been out 5 times last couple months lookin for pigs, havent seen 1. Seen a lot of deer. I've mostly been to Nails, Yegua once. Last spring before and after the flood they were everywhere. Is anyone else seeing the same or am I just having bad luck. Wondering if landowners knocked the numbers down during the flood when it pushed them up on dryer ground
Is this enough hogs for you?
This picture was taken on 10-29.

verter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #52
jnd1959
Eight Point

All the right size too.
jnd1959 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #53
verter
Spike

Quote:
All the right size too.
Indeed.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:09 PM   #54
GD47
Six Point

Hunt In: Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by verter View Post
Is this enough hogs for you?

This picture was taken on 10-29.

Hmmmmm all the pigs in one are no tree around noses in tall grass..... someone hand feeding??????

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 04:35 AM   #55
Ballinonabudget
Four Point

Hunt In: Where the deer are

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonstah View Post
Been hunting this area for a long time and never came across anyone. Never on camera or ran into anyone during the season. I'm out here pretty regularly and today I stumbled upon this. With all the trees they cut down maybe that's why the traffic around here has slowed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
Greenmonstah what part of the world is this in?
Ballinonabudget is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #56
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget View Post
Greenmonstah what part of the world is this in?
#4 Lee County side. I have three spots and two cameras in the general area with a couple hundred yards separating them and have never seen anyone in years. Two of my spots are on either side of this tree stand. The main trails intersect right where this stand is so I was staged just off of these trails. The past couple weeks my traffic has died down considerably and then Friday I noticed this. I don't mind others setting up close especially when they don't know anyone is around but I guarantee they used the trail I made through the ragweed and thought that it was a heavy deer trail that went right into that treeline. They set up about thirty yards into the trees from my walking trail.

greenmonstah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 10:09 PM   #57
verter
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD47 View Post
Hmmmmm all the pigs in one are no tree around noses in tall grass..... someone hand feeding??????

I was wondering myself because that's the only picture they are spread out like that. On others, the same group just passes the area. There were no pictures of someone throwing any feed and I left a camera run for 10 days.

Last edited by verter; 11-06-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #58
verter
Spike

Angry

Quote:
#4 Lee County side. I have three spots and two cameras in the general area with a couple hundred yards separating them and have never seen anyone in years. Two of my spots are on either side of this tree stand. The main trails intersect right where this stand is so I was staged just off of these trails. The past couple weeks my traffic has died down considerably and then Friday I noticed this. I don't mind others setting up close especially when they don't know anyone is around but I guarantee they used the trail I made through the ragweed and thought that it was a heavy deer trail that went right into that treeline. They set up about thirty yards into the trees from my walking trail.
Not cool to do this after a month into the season.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #59
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Lee Co
Default Lake Somerville PHL - 2019-2020

I had some idiot do the same thing. Except they left a extra ladder along a tree and some trash. Since the ladder was not secured and with trash (water and propel) I took that ladder.. another mans trash is another mans treasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoggwild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #60
Punkin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Do y'all tend to stay away from the pond/marshy areas to avoid any duck hunters? Or is nobody duck hunting out there anymore?
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #61
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
Do y'all tend to stay away from the pond/marshy areas to avoid any duck hunters? Or is nobody duck hunting out there anymore?
It will sound like World War III out there tomorrow morning, especially at #5. It all just depends on what you believe in. Will the guns chase deer your way? I personally don't really care either way. I'll still be out there tomorrow morning.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #62
Punkin
Ten Point

Quote:
It will sound like World War III out there tomorrow morning, especially at #5. It all just depends on what you believe in. Will the guns chase deer your way? I personally don't really care either way. I'll still be out there tomorrow morning.

I'm planning to duck hunt out there tomorrow morning and scout today. I've never been out there and I want to make sure I'm not messing anybody up. Public land hunting is new to me so I'm trying to tread lightly.

I assume you're supposed to park and enter at the registration stations, is that correct? I looked through the PHL book but wasn't able to find where this was stated.

Last edited by Punkin; 11-08-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #63
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
I'm planning to duck hunt out there tomorrow morning and scout today. I've never been out there and I want to make sure I'm not messing anybody up. Public land hunting is new to me so I'm trying to tread lightly.

I assume you're supposed to park and enter at the registration stations, is that correct? I looked through the PHL book but wasn't able to find where this was stated.
You can enter from anywhere as long as it's public land and you can park on side of the road legally. Scouting today may not offend anyone but tomorrow might be a different story. Lol.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #64
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Thereís not much water on the ponds out there. On the Yegua Compartment at least. Best get there at 2am!

Old 11-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #65
Punkin
Ten Point

Quote:
You can enter from anywhere as long as it's public land and you can park on side of the road legally. Scouting today may not offend anyone but tomorrow might be a different story. Lol.
Thanks for the parking clarification, I appreciate it. I'm leaving work early so I can scout it today. Figured there would be less chance of offending someone on a weekday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggwild View Post
Thereís not much water on the ponds out there. On the Yegua Compartment at least. Best get there at 2am!
Do the duck hunters get out there that early to setup and claim spots?

I've read through this thread and the same one from last year. I keep seeing where people are referring to check stations by numbers. Where are these numbers found? The PHL booklet just has them marked with stars.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #66
toomuchsun
Six Point

Hunt In: on the edge

Looks like a good location and a reasonable drive for me so add another nuisance rookie to Sommerville. See ya once I read up and figure out what I can and cant do.
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #67
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
Thanks for the parking clarification, I appreciate it. I'm leaving work early so I can scout it today. Figured there would be less chance of offending someone on a weekday.

Do the duck hunters get out there that early to setup and claim spots?

I've read through this thread and the same one from last year. I keep seeing where people are referring to check stations by numbers. Where are these numbers found? The PHL booklet just has them marked with stars.

Theyíll be lined up along every pond by 5am!
Aggies have a bye this week so every Aggie thatís broke-will be out there

Good luck!!

Old 11-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #68
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Ole boy last year killed some Cinn Teal at Nails. I think 2 to be exact? He may start commenting again along these since season is now here.

Nails Compartment will be best bet duck hunting. PM me and I can share some wealthy knowledge

Old 11-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #69
mdoug1076
Four Point

Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA

Quote:
Ole boy last year killed some Cinn Teal at Nails. I think 2 to be exact? He may start commenting again along these since season is now here.

Nails Compartment will be best bet duck hunting. PM me and I can share some wealthy knowledge

I agree, I sat last year on Nails wishing I had a shotgun lol. Saw more ducks than deer. There are some good ponds on Nails plus those ducks love those creeks along there for some reason. Good luck to both duck hunters and deer hunters!
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #70
greenmonstah
Four Point

I'm no mathematician but if you have 288sq.in. on your body, then how are you getting 112 on your head? Doesn't that seem like a lot?

Old 11-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #71
Punkin
Ten Point

Scouted yesterday at Nails and Yegua. Walked over 11 miles and found almost no water. Most of the ponds were dry and have been dry for awhile based on the cracks in the dirt. Wasn’t even mud anymore, just dust. Definitely didn’t find enough to warrant an hour drive this morning. I don’t think there will be many birds for now. Good luck to those who went out.

Last edited by Punkin; 11-09-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #72
Punkin
Ten Point

Does lake Somerville have a levee system that floods these areas or is just natural runoff/overflow from the rain?
Old 11-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #73
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Natural creek run off

Old 11-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #74
toomuchsun
Six Point

Quote:
I'm no mathematician but if you have 288sq.in. on your body, then how are you getting 112 on your head? Doesn't that seem like a lot?

A very tall cat in the hat or lincoln.
Just bought a cool orange cap with some breakup black tree branches. It is very visible but wonder if any game law officer would take an attitutde because the branches. I see folks on occassion with these. Never found any comments in the rule books. The hat does not have an inches requirement but I hate arguing with the man so wondering about the hat. My vest is all orange and legal for the 400 of course. The hat is the subject!! ?? Any experience comments?
Old 11-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #75
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchsun View Post

Just bought a cool orange cap with some breakup black tree branches. It is very visible but wonder if any game law officer would take an attitutde because the branches. I see folks on occassion with these. Never found any comments in the rule books. The hat does not have an inches requirement but I hate arguing with the man so wondering about the hat. My vest is all orange and legal for the 400 of course. The hat is the subject!! ?? Any experience comments?
But 144 + 144 doesn't equal 400.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #76
greenmonstah
Four Point

Two things :
1) When a deer blows you out, you are done for at least five hours. I wasn't about to wait six.
2) I saw two bucks and a doe. All of them by themselves. I don't think the rut is in full swing yet around here.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #77
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
Two things :
1) When a deer blows you out, you are done for at least five hours. I wasn't about to wait six.
2) I saw two bucks and a doe. All of them by themselves. I don't think the rut is in full swing yet around here.

Taxidermist property is just outside of Caldwell. Bucks running does retarded there.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #78
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Quote:
Two things :

Curious on the "blow" time you cite. I'm guessing you mean that particular deer may not come back for 5 hours, which I think is long, anyway. But, it definitely doesn't apply to other deer, who may come by within minutes after a "blow" in my experience. Like to hear more of your thoughts.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #79
greenmonstah
Four Point

Two different units today. Had a deer blow this morning and not a peep for a few hours. Went to another unit and after sitting down for about 30 minutes had a buck blow while facing the opposite direction. Kind of weird. In both cases the deer blew several times while walking away. The first deer I never saw. Sat till dark and never heard another thing. My concensus is if a deer blows in your area, pack your stuff and relocate.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #80
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Quote:
Way over-thinking it. Just wear a vest and an orange hat. You're good.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #81
toomuchsun
Six Point

Thanks and comprehend over thinking. Hurts my head to think about it! My unanswered question: Does the Black Branched Orange cap meet the orange head gear rule? Simple but unanswered. I wear both vest and cap. One cap with branches, "or" one without! I could see the vest questonable which has a minimum of orange area. The hat says little other than be on my cone head six pack brain. All in fun but rules must be followed or follow to the deep dark side of the public hunt undisclosed sections to be seriously dealt with intruders and maliscious troublesome types!
Old 11-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #82
HogStalker
Four Point

Hunt In: Granger, Somerville, Bandera County

Quote:
Thanks and comprehend over thinking. Hurts my head to think about it! My unanswered question: Does the Black Branched Orange cap meet the orange head gear rule? Simple but unanswered. I wear both vest and cap. One cap with branches, "or" one without! I could see the vest questonable which has a minimum of orange area. The hat says little other than be on my cone head six pack brain. All in fun but rules must be followed or follow to the deep dark side of the public hunt undisclosed sections to be seriously dealt with intruders and maliscious troublesome types!

Iíd say youíre fine unless explicitly stated that it needs to be solid orange. Iíd love to see a game warden try to accurately determine the square inches of orange versus black in a pattern especially in the field. Itís about safety, and youíre complying.

HogStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #83
toomuchsun
Six Point

I agree. I just do not see but rarely anyone with the branches. Made me wonder why? I am so much more stylish with the branches! Man do I look good now! If the Man has an issue, I will let them know Hogstalker said it was cool and they will flee. Now I just need a feather in my cap.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #84
greenmonstah
Four Point

Just had a guy walk by one of my cameras. He's not wearing orange but he is bundled up pretty good so hopefully it's under his coat and he doesn't get in trouble if a GW is out there.

How do you guys feel when someone walks in front of one of your cameras? It irks me but I'm not mad about it. Kind of a weird feeling. This has been a pretty hot spot so I hope he doesn't see my setup and campout. Oh the joys of public land.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #85
toomuchsun
Six Point

I would be afraid to leave one as someone may enjoy it more than me. Private land can still happen. I have had good luck and believe most folks have integrity. Just dont tell I said so or it may go to their heads. If I finally get to these stompin grounds, I will wave and continue on sir. Hunting pigs at Granger and nothing so far. Seems like you guys have more pigs but you are much more distance. I am coming though.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #86
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
I would be afraid to leave one as someone may enjoy it more than me. Private land can still happen. I have had good luck and believe most folks have integrity. Just dont tell I said so or it may go to their heads. If I finally get to these stompin grounds, I will wave and continue on sir. Hunting pigs at Granger and nothing so far. Seems like you guys have more pigs but you are much more distance. I am coming though.
Finding the pigs is 5 ft ragweed is gonna be your problem walking around woods where people are hunting will be your problem

Old 11-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #87
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:
How do you guys feel when someone walks in front of one of your cameras?

The better one is when you and your buddy are in treestands 40 yards apart and a millennial walks between you in his converse shoes, skinny jeans, and crossbow. He walks 5 yds from your buddy looks up, says hello, and continues walking. You whistle, wave, and give the FU finger and he continues walking, directly to where the deer should be coming from. Oh, yeah, 40 minutes before dark. ***. Yup, happened to us last year at Granger.
Spoiled_TN_boy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #88
scottimus
Nubbin' Buck

Going out this week during the work days. Any advice on good locations?
scottimus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #89
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottimus View Post
Going out this week during the work days. Any advice on good locations?
I would start in the woods.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #90
scottimus
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
I would start in the woods.

I can do that! Some GPS coordinates in the woods would be fantastic!
scottimus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #91
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottimus View Post
I can do that! Some GPS coordinates in the woods would be fantastic!
Good luck with that on this page. Lol.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #92
Ktboro21
Nubbin' Buck

Haha. I was out there yesterday for about 7 hours and I only saw one deer, so you donít want my coordinates. Saw more duck hunters than deer yesterday.
Ktboro21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #93
greenmonstah
Four Point

Still waiting on this so called rut to hit. I think everything is happening later this year. Seeing some new bucks the past two weeks but nothing I would consider chasing. Mostly by themselves.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #94
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
Still waiting on this so called rut to hit. I think everything is happening later this year. Seeing some new bucks the past two weeks but nothing I would consider chasing. Mostly by themselves.

Early mid dec

Old 11-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #95
HogStalker
Four Point

Quote:

From my experience, next week, but could be late this year.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #96
zkrolczyk95
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East Texas

Good morning all, I have been thinking about hunting Somerville on my week off. I'm just asking for some simple pointers not necessarily about hunting. correct me if I am wrong but its buck only right now... and bow only in both units..? Anything I need to know in regards to parking or checking in somewhere? Do climbers help or hurt you in these units?
zkrolczyk95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #97
HogStalker
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkrolczyk95 View Post
Good morning all, I have been thinking about hunting Somerville on my week off. I'm just asking for some simple pointers not necessarily about hunting. correct me if I am wrong but its buck only right now... and bow only in both units..? Anything I need to know in regards to parking or checking in somewhere? Do climbers help or hurt you in these units?

You need your public land permit to hunt at Somerville. When you buy said permit you get a book with all the regulations and harvest information and dates. An OSR (on site registration) is required daily and can be done at any entry box or digitally on the Hunt Harvest app. You can park anywhere pretty much, just donít block the roads. Climbers are tough as straight trees without branches are far and few between.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #98
HogStalker
Four Point

Quote:

Iíll add this as well. Youíre a bit late to the party. Most have been out there since summer scouting, running camera, sweating their butts off during archery season, etc. Be respectful of other peopleís sets. Iíd personally recommend going out mid day during the week to find a spot that isnít already being hunted to avoid disturbing those that have already put the pre-work in. But thatís just my .02

Old 11-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #99
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
My advice for your first day would be just to take you a little tripod chair in with you, find a nice trail that you think is a deer trail and sit off of that trail. When daylight comes, look around your area and make sure there aren't signs of other hunters. If there are signs of other hunters kindly ease your way out and find another trail. I would say that if no one is currently hunting the area you could stick it out until mid day before moving. Moving too early could not only ruin someone's hunt but possibly ruin your hunt the rest of the day. Another good indication is to watch where people have parked and don't walk in where they are parked. Good luck to you.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #100
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
I had some idiot do the same thing. Except they left a extra ladder along a tree and some trash. Since the ladder was not secured and with trash (water and propel) I took that ladder.. another mans trash is another mans treasure.

Good man cleaning up the woods!
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top