Tank blind advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank blind advice

I picked up a tank today cheap with a crack in the top which I was planning on fixing. but when unloading it the top busted pretty bad. I’m thinking about cutting the top off and just turning it over and using the floor as the roof but worried it will be to flimsy if I do that. Anybody have any ideas or pics if you did this. Thanks

How big is it? Send pics

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
      How big is it? Send pics
      I will have to get some pics. If I cut the top off it will be 5ft tall

Comment

Diameter?

Comment

I havent flipped one over, but the base would def be stout enough as a roof. I would honestly be worried about the interior height with drawing a bow.

I would assume if you bracketed out a couple of points on the circle base after you cut and flip that it would stay just fine on whatever base you put it on. In overthinking it on my end, for just water storage, I am a fan of a tpost either side with a ratchet strap to keep it from blowing around or shifting when empty.

Comment

Take some 2x4's and "wedge" them horizontally a foot or so above your cut line. I'd put them in a cross shape or an X shape. You can screw them in if you want to make sure they stay. Then the tank won't collapse when you cut it.

Comment

I cut one in half before and made two blinds out of it. They are flimsy, but once stood up I just fastened them to a wood base using L brackets. The tanks were solid after that.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                Diameter?
                It’s about 8 feet wide

Comment

I had one with a cracked top as well. I screwed some 1/4 plywood on the inside then came over the top with flashing that was caulked down real good. Hasn’t leaked yet. Five foot doesn’t give you much head room if you cut the top off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine was 8’ diameter and 16’ tall.

Comment

T post to keep
                      It from egging/Collapsing.

If you need more head room, dig a hole and gain more height.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                        T post to keep
                        It from egging/Collapsing.

If you need more head room, dig a hole and gain more height.
                        I didn’t think about digging it out, good idea

Comment

Our older water tank cracked at the bottom. So no help with the top. Maybe refiberglass it?
                          We used 1x4s to frame out the inside of the windows then caulked the gaps. This made a flat surface to mount the deer view windows. Its a great blind. We can get 4-5 people in there.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                            Our older water tank cracked at the bottom. So no help with the top. Maybe refiberglass it?
                            We used 1x4s to frame out the inside of the windows then caulked the gaps. This made a flat surface to mount the deer view windows. Its a great blind. We can get 4-5 people in there.
                            Looks good. How hot do these get during bow season

Comment

Originally posted by Tbull9 View Post

Looks good. How hot do these get during bow season
                              Pretty warm but, the lid on top comes off and with 6 windows open the air moves pretty well.
                              Our deer are so used to it and the smell off the oil well and pump jack they never pay us any attention. We corn in front of it and then park the mule right by the mesquite tree. Doesn't bother them at all.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X