Gps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gps?

Going on first time elk hunt with a friend that has many years experience and has been successful several times. Wanting to get a GPS that will be useful for me (not tech savvy at all) with out breaking the bank. I haven't researched them much just checking here for some feed back. My friend that I'm going with uses one but it's an older model.
    Thanks for the help......

I have 2 older ones if you need one. Just shoot me a PM. It's an Earthmate PN-60

Comment

Just use gps app for your phone I use gaia for all my backcountry hunts. Just download your hunt area before you go and it’s ready for offline use. Has topo, satellite layers , waypoints everything normal gps does

Comment

I have a garmin that I use for elk hunting.. I use onx for the maps but I can text my wife from the garmin.. I hunt by myself so she likes to know I didn't get hurt or eaten by a bear..

Comment

I use OnX for the phone and have a GPSMap 64s for a backup as I've beat up and/or lost phones before. I just got a Garmin watch I plan to use for my backup so toying with selling the dedicated unit. Now that I think about it I'll update the Colorado chip in it before my OnX Elite expires. But yeah, the phone apps are awesome, OnX, Gaia, and Basemap.
          Edit: Camofire regularly has the OnX single state codes for $17.99 if you're patient.

Comment

OnX is all you need.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

IMHO: I disagree with those who suggest to just use an app on your phone. Sure, download an app for your phone, but there's no way that I'd use that as my main source for GPS. A hand held GPS unit is the way to go, along with extra batteries. When you need it most, if your phone doesn't have a signal, or your phone battery dies, you're screwed, whereas the GPS unit will still be working for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                I have a garmin that I use for elk hunting.. I use onx for the maps but I can text my wife from the garmin.. I hunt by myself so she likes to know I didn't get hurt or eaten by a bear..
                This is exactly what I did last year on my solo hunt. I put my phone in airplane mode and used onx, and had the garmin inreach mini as a GPS backup and text ability.

Comment

Garmin for sure.

Comment

Garmin inReach. Specifically the inReach! It allows you to send and receive messages and send an SOS. That's cheap insurance in my book. Never know when an accident happens and it's a reliable option in an emergency.

Comment

With my InReach, I can also blue tooth to my phone to uses a bigger screen

Comment

Working...
                      X