Has anyone ever had deer not eat cottonseed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever had deer not eat cottonseed

2nd year on a place in young county and decided to put out some cottonseed. Deer are hitting my protein hard but won't look at the cottonseed. Its been 4 weeks and won't touch it. I'm hoping it's because everything is green as all get out with all.the rain we have had.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They aren’t used to it...took us 16 months for deer to eat protein at our lease in Spur in the panhandle.

Comment

Mix it with corn

Comment

If there is plenty of natural food around they will not eat it as much. Was hoping for more rain at our place to slow them down some they’re killing it. It’s a dust bowl in South west Jim Hogg county.

Comment

It seems some will eat it like they are starving and some won't touch it, depending on the region and availability of natural food source.

Comment

Had cottonseed out for first time a week after freeze in Webb Co. Three weeks later, they still haven't touched it.
            Hope to check again in a week or two and find that they are eating some of it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

We tried it in Victoria last year and they never touched it. Finally pulled it out after months of sitting in the feeder pen.

Comment

I too hunt Young county. I have been feeding cottonseed for a year now. I had to put corn around the base and on top to get them interested. Now they clean me out every 2 weeks. I watch a lot of deer go to cottonseed 1st before protein. Give it some time and help it with corn.

Comment

Took mine 5 months to start then they hammered it.

Comment

Give it time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They eat it very slowly at our place in Mountain Home.

Comment

2 years of trying every trick in the book on east Texas place. Won’t touch it

Removed pen and hogs finally ate it. For my deer density protein is a much better option

Comment

I tried in Jack county and deer never touched it

Comment

I’ve given it a go three times at our place in Shackelford Co. I would see pics of deer kinda sniffing around it but I never saw evidence they ever tried it. I just dumped in piles - Ive wondered if a covered trough would have made a difference
                            Last edited by jerp; 05-02-2021, 08:31 AM.

Comment

I tried it it in Hill county and they wouldn't eat it.

Comment

Working...
                              X