No announcement yet.

Coast Guard - Good, Bad & Ugly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow Oscar found some new Icons/little pic thingys. NICE.

Comment

I can't comment about the USCG as I was in the Navy. What I will tell you is the military experience has a lifelong positive effect. Most of the really good stuff I learned in the Navy had nothing to do with my rating and the content of the schools I went to. That was really good, don't get me wrong. But I learned to study in the Navy's Electronics Technician program. I have earned a bachelor's degree from Texas A&M and a master's degree from U of H and nothing I took at either of those schools was as difficult and as fast paced as what I did in ET school. It was sink or swim and I was a pretty poor student who had always been able to just give minimal effort to get by. I learned to study and learned to manage my time in ET school and it made going to college a breeze after i got out. I also learned stuff like attention to detail, chain of command, working with a team of all abilities, backgrounds, races and religions. Stuff that all corresponds directly to civilian careers. So even if he chooses to just go in and do one term and done it is still worth doing if he is of the mind to try it. I knew I was not going to be a lifer when I joined, it isn't for everyone and it was not going to be for me. But I am thankful for the experience, the lessons learned and the friends made. It had a huge impact on who I am even still today.

Good luck to him! I hope he finds everything he is seeking in the USCG.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
        I truly appreciate the positive inputs and practical experienced insight into our Coast Guard. [emoji568][emoji926][emoji925][emoji924][emoji570][emoji569][emoji572][emoji576]🪂[emoji574][emoji927]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I only know two USCG Vets, one being Rob, and what I’ve learned about the Coast Guard from them is positive stuff.
        I enlisted in the Army after high school, did my time and separated. Looking back is was the best thing I’ve done.
        Like Capt Glenn said, “it had a lifelong positive effect “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
          July 5th, 1992, Bering Sea (Bristol Bay) near Grave Yard Point is where I got close to and had my visit with the Creator. Commercial fishing salmon during a nasty storm. I watched people die. I watched the Coast Guard risk their lives trying to save those people. Two were saved - two were not.

"Life takes on a different meaning." Well said, Rob!

So many folks have no idea or respect just how bad things can get in perilous water. And how fast it happens. I was so impressed with the vessels that I worked around in Bristol Bay that I named my first born, Selket Rose, after two of them. "Lady Selket" & "Arctic Rose." They have both since sank. All 15 crewman were lost on one of them. It's a life that is not for everyone!
          Joe - I'm tearing reading this and God Bless you BROTHER.........it will always be there

And I will always remember our first time we met, so many years ago at the Y, near Austin.

I will fly up - time to do what we talked about back in 2004 or 2007? I can't remember.
          Last edited by AtTheWall; 05-28-2021, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
            We appreciate your service. Dont here this very often from USMC service men.
            I agree with friscopaint... I wouldn’t recommend USMC either. It was good for me but it’s not for everyone. I’ve even told my 18 yr old who wants to join the service “I don’t care which one you choose but just don’t choose the Marine Corps, you just don’t have the right psyche to make it jive”

Comment

Working...
            X