Health Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health Insurance

I will be self employed next month, my wife will be employed. We can get insurance through her job. Its higher than I would like so I wanted to shop around.
    Ive looked at the Christian health insurance and may go that route. But wanted to see if anyone specialized in health insurance and could answer a question or 12/run quotes before I pull the trigger one way or the other.

I'd like to hear some options too bump.

Comment

Some of the Christian health, you have to do all the leg ang pper work as well as negotiating on claims. I did have time for all that

Comment

I’m self employed. Your insurance is a write off. But you will probably have better coverage under your wife’s plan if it’s a PPO. Otherwise, if you don’t go the Christian Sharing insurance, you will have a HMO.

Hussein really helped us with his cluster.

Comment

I have been in the health insurance business for 42 years -

In most cases your wife's coverage is paid by the employer and she pays for spouse and/or kids. It usually comes out less expensive as opposed to going out and buying your own.

I have commented here many times on the Christian ministry type of coverage. For some folks it may be ok. But if you go that route make sure you understand a few things.

First of all I am a life long Christian - so I have no issues with that aspect.

Secondly it is NOT insurance. Insurance companies are regulated by the Texas Board of Insurance and are required to have enough assets/reserves to pay their claims. They are also required to have any medical plans they sell be approved by the Texas Board of Insurance and meet certain guidelines. Not so with Christian medical type plans.

Most of these type plans you are required to pay the bill for the hospital or doctor out of pocket and be reimbursed by the Ministry plan. Also many of these plans have lifetime limits that they will pay out on them - I have seen claims that hit well over one million on people.

So again - not bashing the Ministry plans - they are cheap but like everything else they are cheap for a reason. If you plan to go this route then read the fine print and know that if you or your family have a catostrophic claim then you may be at risk.

In your case? Knowing what I know I would go with my wifes employer coverage

Comment

My boss has some form of the faith based insurance. When he was telling me about it I will have to admit it sounds like a ponzi scheme lol. With that said he personally knows two people that have it and have had seroius heath issues (I think both were cancer) and they claim that the insurance company held up their end of the deal and it wasnt a nightmare.

Comment

We've had two babies, cesarean, and 3 ER trips on Christian Ministries. They've covered it all no questions asked. I can't see the current administration allowing us to continue to have our own choice of insurance much longer..... They are losing all the monetary input from the viable portion of the population. Those of us that have brains and common sense are actually using them to benefit our families rather than the less productive portion of society!!! A liberal can't stand common sense......

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Comment

I was in a similar situation. I went with Christian Health Ministries. Cheaper than my wife adding me and my two boys to her plan at work. We pay out of pocket for doctor's visits (cash price at our doctor is $75). Any bill over $500 they pay the rest. I personally know a lady that had two surgeries and both were covered with CHM. I like it and also like the fact that my monthly payment is going to pay for other Christian's medical bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                  I was in a similar situation. I went with Christian Health Ministries. Cheaper than my wife adding me and my two boys to her plan at work. We pay out of pocket for doctor's visits (cash price at our doctor is $75). Any bill over $500 they pay the rest. I personally know a lady that had two surgeries and both were covered with CHM. I like it and also like the fact that my monthly payment is going to pay for other Christian's medical bills.

I can vouch for all this as well. I’ve been with CHM since Obama ruined my company insurance with Blue across, made it extremely unaffordable. I have zero complaints about CHM and everyone I know that has it feels the same. I’ve recommended a ton of folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

all I am telling you is this - you get into a true catastrophic situation - transplant, premature baby, etc then you better hope that they will the pay millions of dollars - if they do not then plan for your bankruptcy - again just read the fine print - what do I know after 42 years in the business??

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                      all I am telling you is this - you get into a true catastrophic situation - transplant, premature baby, etc then you better hope that they will the pay millions of dollars - if they do not then plan for your bankruptcy - again just read the fine print - what do I know after 42 years in the business??

Not knocking you or your profession but let’s not pretend you don’t have to read the fine print on insurance policies!!!! Ask all the people paying out of pocket for the freeze and other issues. The insurance business is a business and not perfect by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
                        The CHM has me a bit nervous one guy loves the next not so much. I have severe asthma that is pretty well under control with medication and in the last 2 years have had some back issues that have me timid about the deal as well. Nothing I would consider major but those two thibgs are in the back of my mind.

Comment

I went with Christian Care Ministries about 4 years ago:

You have to qualify medically
                          Pre existing conditions are not covered for 36 months
                          Basically no prescription coverage
                          They make it very clear on their site that they are not insurance

Back when we started my Scott & White HMO wanted $1900 a month for me, wife and one kiddo. I could get all of us under CCM for about $700 a month. They also have a family share amount, whereas the HMO deductible was $7000 per person. I used it several years ago when I was having some irregular heart beats. They paid everything above the family share just as agreed. Yes they do have a catastrophic limit, but I thought the catastrophic monthly price difference was enough to justify.

Good luck on your search. I would definitely pay a little more on the wife’s policy, if it’s any good. Maybe the health ins guy here could compare both of them for you and give you a good opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                            I have been in the health insurance business for 42 years -

In most cases your wife's coverage is paid by the employer and she pays for spouse and/or kids. It usually comes out less expensive as opposed to going out and buying your own.

I have commented here many times on the Christian ministry type of coverage. For some folks it may be ok. But if you go that route make sure you understand a few things.

First of all I am a life long Christian - so I have no issues with that aspect.

Secondly it is NOT insurance. Insurance companies are regulated by the Texas Board of Insurance and are required to have enough assets/reserves to pay their claims. They are also required to have any medical plans they sell be approved by the Texas Board of Insurance and meet certain guidelines. Not so with Christian medical type plans.

Most of these type plans you are required to pay the bill for the hospital or doctor out of pocket and be reimbursed by the Ministry plan. Also many of these plans have lifetime limits that they will pay out on them - I have seen claims that hit well over one million on people.

So again - not bashing the Ministry plans - they are cheap but like everything else they are cheap for a reason. If you plan to go this route then read the fine print and know that if you or your family have a catostrophic claim then you may be at risk.

In your case? Knowing what I know I would go with my wifes employer coverage
                            Very well said! It is NOT insurance

Insurance is for those major life changing incidents anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                              So non christians cant get this coverage? How do they distinguish this?

Justify it how you want. Cheaper is most of the time not always better

Comment

Working...
                              X