Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would You Do?

What would you do with this old Mouser?

My dad gave me this rifle several years ago. Its a K98 Mouser that someone sporterized before my father obtained it. I was thinking maybe just re-finishing it and adding a quality optic. Or maybe a new stock, timney trigger, and new optic.

Any ideas?
    Attached Files

I personally get nostalgic around anything old and always air on the side of "Keep it as is" Just my 2 cents worth. I also think you should gift it to me, but what do I know!? Lol Nice piece you have there.

Comment

First take take the slip on recoil pad off before it destroys the finish under it then I would have a chamber cast made to insure caliber/chambering ( I have actually seen two Mauser action rifles that were not properly marked) while at the smith have it checked out then I would replace optics and plan my next hunt with it.

Comment

I have a couple from my dad in 308. Muzzle brakes, trigger jobs and both are great shooters. Don’t think they have much value but I have no desire to ever get rid of them.
        Attached Files

Comment

I’m writing this with respect to you and your father, so please take it that way. And it sounds like you are already getting some good gun advice, but I do have a thought for you to consider. The second sentence of your post says worlds, and could be the first line in a great novel or movie. Many of us cannot say “My dad gave me this rifle several years ago”, but right now you can. Go to changing things on it, and you will then need to say “My dad gave me this rifle several years ago, and then I (fill in the blank). Just me, but I would not change a thing on it. Find ammo it likes, sight it in, shoot it and keep describing it with that second sentence.

Comment

Have one that was redone for me in 7x57 caliber and it is my primary hunting rifle. killed a lot of deer and some hogs with it. Very low recoil and good knockdown power, it is loud though.
            Grits

Comment

I would do a new scope, some better mounts/rings and maybe a trigger, depends on the trigger.

I have been wanting to find another old sporterized military bolt action. What caliber and when, where was it made? I would love to have one in a 6.5X55 Swede, then probably one in a 7X57 also. I have wanted a Swede for a long time.

Comment

Depends on if that's your only rifle or not.

Comment

Refinish it and make it yours. If you want a stock, break, trigger job go for it. They are great shooters and fun reliable guns.

Comment

It has been converted to 270 Cal. Whoever performed the work marked the barrel. I am having a hard time looking it up by serial number but its in the #3,900's It looks like the bottom metal and trigger guard are not numbers matching as they appear to be "Mid to Late War"

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                      Depends on if that's your only rifle or not.
                      It is not my only rifle.

I can take my sweet time working on it.

Comment

Trigger

Scope

Shoot

Comment

Originally posted by 4xBuilder View Post
                          It is not my only rifle.

I can take my sweet time working on it.
                          In that case I'd enjoy it for what it is. It's neat. I'd make it a point to shoot a deer with it and then shoot a few every now and then down range

Comment

If your dad gave it to you, leave it alone and pass it to your first borne

Comment

I will definitely pass it on to my son. I usually take it to the range once every year to make sure its still sighted in. It has been right on every time and shoots better than I can. I don't rifle hunt much but when I do I will use it about half the time. I shot a Buck with it two seasons ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X