• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bois d arce staves

proably shoulda spell checked that one.

1 where can i get a stave?
    2 how much are they?

i know 3 rivers, but would like something local.

Arvin is your man!

Comment

There were some nice ones at the McAlester shoot a couple of weeks ago for $80.00. Some are much higher I think.

Comment

Arvin has some. $75-$80.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
          Arvin has some. $75-$80.
          That's where I'd look

Comment

If you have a small chain saw and some time, Lake Lavon. The lake is down and they are usually the tress that you see sticking up from the water. I don't know if there is a law or anything against it, I am also not saying to cut one down from the wooded areas around the lake, the ones that are along the shore line are what I am talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by cshall999 View Post
              If you have a small chain saw and some time, Lake Lavon. The lake is down and they are usually the tress that you see sticking up from the water. I don't know if there is a law or anything against it, I am also not saying to cut one down from the wooded areas around the lake, the ones that are along the shore line are what I am talking about.
              You have to know what you are looking for. Not every bois de' arc tree will make a bow.

Comment

You have to know what you are looking for. Not every bois de' arc tree will make a bow.
                Oh I agree, I was just making the suggestion if he couldn't afford to pay the money.

Comment

Originally posted by cshall999 View Post
                  Oh I agree, I was just making the suggestion if he couldn't afford to pay the money.
                  If he decides to go that way we might come help him pick one and get some for ourselves as well.

Comment

If he decides to go that way we might come help him pick one and get some for ourselves as well.

I like the way you think Deb. My parents live out in that area and I have a couple of logs. I didn't get them for bows, just walking sticks...that really need to be trimmed down. But I don't know that there are any laws about removing the wood from the lake. I know that you can't cut anything from the living trees or move dead wood that is in the wooded areas, but I don't know about the lake. I would ask the Corps people if you go this rout...just to be on the legal side of it all. Wouldn't be a good day if you go out there do all this work AND get fined for it.

Comment

Have to check it out. We are always looking for good trees.

Comment

i have access to trees. i figured it would take for ever for them to drie out. AND i dont really know what im doing. so cutting a tree for staves could be a waste of time for me.

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                          i have access to trees. i figured it would take for ever for them to drie out. AND i dont really know what im doing. so cutting a tree for staves could be a waste of time for me.
                          I'm thinking you and Arvin need to do a little horse tradin'

Comment

We need to get together and go bow wood hunting is what I think. With this drought the growth rings are going to be tighter than all get out.

Comment

let me know arvin, i will sharpen the chain saw blade.

Comment

Working...
                              X