DIY Cabin build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
    What is all the foil looking sheets (heat barrier?) and the foam board with channels and dimples in it that is up on the ceiling between the decking and the insulation?

The sheets with the foil backing are radiant board. Just a heat barrier attached to the OSB for roof decking.

The other is a foam spacer that has vent channels in it to space the insulation off the roof decking to allow air flow from the soffit to the ridge vent. I left a 1” gap between the roof decking and ridge beam. Rolled 2” ridge vent foam stripping on top of the r-panel on each side then put the ridge cap on top of it. Keeps bugs and critters out but still allows air flow.
    I’ll cut 2”x10” holes on the eaves add soffit vents to the front and back overhang for air intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
      The sheets with the foil backing are radiant board. Just a heat barrier attached to the OSB for roof decking.

The other is a foam spacer that has vent channels in it to space the insulation off the roof decking to allow air flow from the soffit to the ridge vent. I left a 1” gap between the roof decking and ridge beam. Rolled 2” ridge vent foam stripping on top of the r-panel on each side then put the ridge cap on top of it. Keeps bugs and critters out but still allows air flow.
      I’ll cut 2”x10” holes on the eaves add soffit vents to the front and back overhang for air intake.
      Awesome!

Comment

This has been so cool to follow, you do awesome work!

Comment

The thing is looking good! You are doing every bit of it mostly by yourself? Did you use to build houses for a living? No way I could do that! Super impressed with the cabin and your knowledge to be able to do it all without subbing out. Kudos sir!!

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
            The thing is looking good! You are doing every bit of it mostly by yourself? Did you use to build houses for a living? No way I could do that! Super impressed with the cabin and your knowledge to be able to do it all without subbing out. Kudos sir!!

Yes, I’ve done all of it myself, had help with the heavy stuff and stuff that’s jus too long to handle. Never built houses, remodeled one and had a custom home built for myself a few years ago I contracted with the help of friends that’s are subs.
            Anything is possible if you put your head to it.

Comment

Put a few interior walls up. Now I can hang the minisplit head units and run the refrigerant lines.

Comment

This is one of the coolest threads I’ve come across. I’ve got some acreage in west Texas I’d love to build something similar on. Awesome design and work!
                Looks like you’ll have years of enjoyment on this.

Comment

Hell yes! Looking great man. You gonna deck the attic and frame in some little access doors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

DIY Cabin build

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                    Hell yes! Looking great man. You gonna deck the attic and frame in some little access doors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    No, I don’t really need the storage and there’s not much head room any ways. Plus it’s insulted way over the tops of the ceiling joist.
                    I have another 18x18 bunk house, shop w/ tool room and old walk in cooler for storage out there.

Originally posted by BillyJack1975 View Post
                    This is one of the coolest threads I’ve come across. I’ve got some acreage in west Texas I’d love to build something similar on. Awesome design and work!
                    Looks like you’ll have years of enjoyment on this.

Thanks

Comment

Insulated the bathroom and got the walls up in there and the master closet.

I’m building a pine cover trim to go under the water heater and cover the gas line, water lines and power cord. It comes with a metal cover but it’s too short and doesn’t look good.
                      Picking up more wood this evening and going to wrap up the mast let bedroom tomorrow.

Still waiting on power company… man i need AC in there!!!

Comment

DIY Cabin build

Local lumber supply was out of the tongue & groove so I finished up all the insulation today. Was just doing a room at a time because that’s about all i can stand of that mess!
                        Put my front door handle on, narrowed the rough in framing on a both closet doors also because I ended up with 24” bi-fold doors and not 30” due to supply issues, & added a bunch of nailers in a few corners and along the vaulted ceiling for the tongue & groove ends to nail too.

I reckon if i can’t get lumber for tomorrow I’ll mount the mini splits and run the lines then start on the electrical pig tails and installing breakers.

Last edited by Hix; 07-06-2022, 04:08 PM.

Comment

What is holding your power co. up?

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                            What is holding your power co. up?

Said they’re behind schedule and short staffed.. probably because people are building again.

Comment

That’s an awesome build! Love the front porch and view.

Comment

Got some more tongue and groove finally and finished the master bedroom and closet. Started on the spare room/ laundry.

In case anyone is wondering, yes I could order all the tongue and groove at once but it’s #2 pine and about 10% of it is warped or cracked, so I pick through it as it comes in and get the good stuff. Rather than deal with a bunch of junk to return.

Comment

Working...
                                X