ICE melting question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LonestarGent View Post
    Different process. Residential ice makers fill a tray and freeze based off a timer. Commercial ice makers run water over a frozen plate and harvest on thickness, usually. That ice is usually "wetter" from the process and tends to melt faster. I've serviced lots of commercial ice makers for reference.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Looney Tatonka View Post
    Density is your answer. Store made is done in a quick process, less dense ice results. Home ice takes longer to cycle, ice is more dense and takes longer to melt.

I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night, so I'm pretty sure i'm right!
    These

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Density is your answer. Store made is done in a quick process, less dense ice results. Home ice takes longer to cycle, ice is more dense and takes longer to melt.

Comment

very interesting maybe thats why I always liked those 50 pound blocks

Comment

This:
          Originally posted by bruiser View Post
          more air less water

Comment

Initial temp is the answer . 20 below ice will hold up a heck of a lot longer than 20 degree ice.

Comment

Quality of water plays a huge role as does storage temp. We prefilter, carbon filter, run it through a reverse osmosis system, and then post filter before it goes to our ice machines.

Our reverse osmosis thing was broken and you could tell it in the quality of ice and how long it lasted. Same storage temps and everything.

Comment

This is correct

Comment

Counter Top Ice Makers

Which is the best one to get?

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                    This is correct
                    What does more dense mean? Density is the molecules being close together... I don’t understand how you affect that. Sorry not trying to be obtuse I’d just like to understand it better.

Are you saying the slower the water freezes the more compact the crystalline structure? And that makes it more dense?
                    Last edited by Rubberdown; 07-11-2022, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                      What does more dense mean? Density is the molecules being close together... I don’t understand how you affect that. Sorry not trying to be obtuse I’d just like to understand it better.

Are you saying the slower the water freezes the more compact the crystalline structure? And that makes it more dense?
                      Thicker cubes with less air is made in a home fridge. Thinner cubes with more air is made in a commercial freezer. To put it another way, if you take 5 lbs of ice from each machine, the commercial freezer will be about twice the size in cubes to reach the same weight as 5 lbs from your fridge.

Comment

It's a combination of a few things. #1 freeze method, #2 Water purity

Most residential ice maker make ice horizontally. Water fills the tray, and it uses the air temp around it to freeze. "Slow" freeze makes the particles in the water settle to the bottom giving a more solid cube (denser). "Most" commercial ice machines use vertical plates that get cold and water is pumped over the plate freezing the water rapidly trapping any air and particulates causing less dense.

Comment

Working...
                        X