Filming Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filming Hunts

For the guys that film their hunts. What kind of equipment are y’all using? I’d like to film some hunts this year and I’m looking for ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older video, but the considerations still apply.

I have a few other videos on the topic on my channel, as well.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I use 3 GoPro cameras I control with the app on my phone. Works good for me.
      One mounted above my bow stabilizer. One close to where I think the shot will happen and one on the far side facing the blind.

Comment

I use something like this

Start my phone recording when it's light enough. That's it. Keeps it simple and less stuff to pack around. Plus it keeps my movement less because I'm not going for my phone in my pocket every 10 minutes. But maybe that's just a personal problem

Comment

I use two GoPros and a Sony camcorder. The GoPros are very unreliable, and I'm happy to get good video on one of them. That being said, I can only get good slo-mo on the GoPros.

Comment

You wanting to film just bow kills out of a blind or sort of full on productions of hunts?

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
              You wanting to film just bow kills out of a blind or sort of full on productions of hunts?

Little bit of everything. Just getting started so I’m not 100% sure what this will all look like at first. I rifle hunt a good amount too.

Comment

I use a Canon XA 30...though they probably have newer versions...with a Manfretto fluid head tripod. Also have a Rodelink external mic which gives more versatility to sound quality.

Comment

Go pro 10
                  Tactcam 5.0
                  Sony AX53

Comment

Originally posted by Texas89 View Post
                    Little bit of everything. Just getting started so I’m not 100% sure what this will all look like at first. I rifle hunt a good amount too.

Depending on the style or type of hunting you plan on filming will determine what kind of cameras you’ll need or want.

-Rifle hunting, and even archery you’ll want something with some zoom
                    -up close and fast action shots you’ll want a GoPro
                    -POV shots you’ll want a GoPro or shotkam/tactacam

Really all depends on what kind of filming you’re wanting to do as well as capture.

Comment

Texas89, if you don't mind, I'll tag on to your question....

I've never gotten serious about videoing hunts. We're going on an archery elk hunt this fall, and I'd like to get some good video. Videoing a spot and stalk hunt is a lot different than setting everything up in a pop up blind though. I'm thinking about using my DSLR (or mirrorless) camera. Downside is size and weight. I do have a lightweight tripod, and I wouldn't use a big zoom lens. I might carry a bigger zoom in my backpack to throw on occasionally. But if we get an elk into bow range, then a smaller lens will be the ticket.

OR, I could use a small camcorder. I have an older one that's decent, but I'd probably buy a newer 4K Panasonic or Sony or similar camcorder if I decide to go that route. I'd like to use an external mic, so I'd need to research to see if any of the sub-$1,000 camcorders will work with an external mic. I'd like to find a wireless mic system that has a receiver on the camera and then 2 mics that would transmit to it, if such a system exists.

So my questions for Michael and you other guys that are video studs are 1) DSLR/mirrorless "big" camera or camcorder?; and 2) what's a good wireless mic system?

Comment

1. Camcorder

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pciwcPRzfJE"]Panasonic VX870/981/991 - Best Camcorders for YouTube Hunting Videos? - YouTube[/ame]

There may be better camcorders available since I made this video, but the concepts still apply. I think trying to set up a DSLR/Mirrorless while trying to spot/stalk and position for a shot at an elk will be extremely challenging. It will also require a heavier tripod/head. In the event that you had to hand it off to a guide or hunting partner to film while you concentrate on the shot, the simplicity of operating a camcorder will increase the odds of getting usable video, IMO.

2. DJI Mic (Compact Receiver + 2 Compact Transmitters)

It's very similar to the Rode Wireless Go II, but a little more compact and with a few more features. You can also use the transmitters as stand alone audio recorder or for backup audio.
                        Last edited by Michael; 06-23-2022, 02:48 PM.
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Thanks, Michael. Zach and I will be hunting together, one being a caller and one a shooter. I was figuring on the caller being the cameraman as well, as much as possible. So carrying a camera on a tripod and getting it running while calling would likely be easier than being a shooter while also trying to film. That would be the only way I can see a big camera on a tripod being doable.

The main attraction to me for the big camera would be easier manual focus. Camcorder autofocus always focuses on the closer brush instead of the animal that's visible behind the brush. Annoying.... Do you use manual focus on your camcorder? Is it easy to use?

Comment

Working...
                          X