Drip irrigation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drip irrigation question

I’m installing drip irrigation here in Montana, and have a problem/ question. My wife said “why not ask the guys on TBH?”. Good idea.

A contractor installed 1/2” drip line with 1/4” tubing to emitters to 40 plants. Those work fine at 1 gph. There is not a pressure regulator, and my well is set at 60 psi.

I planted some more plants in the bed. I’ve tried 2 different types of 1 gph disc emitters on the new plants. They all have water flowing out of them like it was an open 1/4” tube- no reduction. I’ve tried reversing them (no change) and looking to adjust (not successful). A Google search and nothing. Looking inside them there is a clear path for water to flow.

What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill, I do all my garden (in ground and in bags/raised beds) with drip irrigation. Get you one of these and put it on the faucet or water source before the drip system. You can get them from 25 psi to 10 psi... I use the 25's on my 1/4" emitters, and a 12 on my drip tape systems.

Comment

Drip irrigation question

Thanks. But……

The irrigation system is in the ground, solenoids in a irrigation control box. Nowhere to install a press regulator.

Plus 40 of the installed emitters work fine- it’s only the new ones that don’t.

Are there pressure compensating emitters? Maybe I beed those?

Last edited by Bill; 06-22-2022, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
        Thanks. But……

The irrigation system is in the ground, solenoids in a irrigation control box. Nowhere to install a press regulator.

Plus 40 of the installed emitters work fine- it’s only the new ones that don’t.

Are there pressure compensating emitters? Maybe I beed those?

Are you positive the emitters you bought are adjustable? Mine twist on the top half to adjust flow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Tag

Comment

The emitters that I am familiar with, and I have a variety of them from drip type, to adjustable little "mini-sprinkler types", all pretty much say to keep the pressure below 40 PSI... Drip tape is 15 psi or less... The guy who put in your system should have a regulator that can be installed in the system somewhere. I know you have that whole "frozen ground" issue, but still, if there's a water system, there should be a way to regulate it somewhere in the system... ?? I'd bet the emitters you are using that "work" are being over-pressured by the system if you're truly running 60 psi to them.

Comment

Maybe they are defective

Comment

Googled ‘pressure compensating drip emitter’ and this came up on irrigationking.com’s website. Hope this helps

Comment

I’m picking up a bag of pressure compensating emitters, I’ll report if it solved the problem.

Comment

That was the solution. I needed drippers that are ‘pressure compensation’, the flow rate is the same over a range of pressure.

Then I spent hours on programming Hunter Pro C controllers.

Comment

Working...
                    X