Freezer open. Is the meat ruined?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezer open. Is the meat ruined?

Left home Wednesday afternoon and just got home to a freeze cracked open about 2". The bag of ice that I put in right before we left was totally melted. The backstrap is thawed to the point of having blood in the freezer bag. The burger is cold but leaking blood. Steaks are perfect to put on the grill..thawed but still cool.
    I took internal temp with a meat thermometer and all was 55ish inside and it all vacuum sealed. Again coolish on outside of package but not cold.

What would you do?

Cut one open and give smell test

Comment

What would you do?

Check to make sure the freezer is closed before going out of town next time?

Sorry, I had to. Fry some up to see how it smells. Bad meat has a district smell. Hope you saved it.

Comment

If it's still cold you're fine, if it room temp I would probably throw it out.

Comment

Safe holding temp is no more than 4 hours above 42 degrees. The question is how long has it been off temp. If the blood has been rendered I would personally chalk it up as a loss. Food poisoning is no fun and can last for a couple of days.

Comment

I’m throwing it out. Crap.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
              Personally I think your making the right call. I’m truly sorry for your loss. But on a good note, now you have all the reason to immediately go out and shoot some more critters. For the sake of the family of course.

Comment

My dog would’ve been eating well for a bit.

Comment

I had an old man tell me many years ago “I bet I have thrown away a lot of good meat over the years, but I have never gotten sick from eating bad meat”

I have lived by this advice. Good call on trashing it or throwing into dog food.

Comment

I put a draw hasp on my freezer door. It holds the door closed.

Comment

I did the same awhile back. Thankfully I found it while everything was still cold. Mostly thawed but cold. I was sick. So far so good.

Comment

I put one of these on my upright freezer. I mounted the catch bracket (right side) to the edge of the door. Closed the door and marked the holes with a little extra pressure against the door to give it a confirmed seal when mounting the rod bracket. My freezer door won't accidentally get bumped open from anything.

Last edited by BowPro73; 06-04-2022, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                          I feel your pain. I had a freezer go out during the 2020 edition of covid. Lost all the meat I couldn't fit in the refrigerator freezer.

Tried keeping everything in ice chest, but buy the time the new freezer arrived most had thawded out. I just didn't trust it and had to toss it.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me a few years back. Everything "seemed fine" and I had about the same internal temps as you. I ate some of it but was always scared of it and was never going to enjoy it or feed it to my family. Had one package smell off and that was it for me. Tossed it all.

I did 2 things as mentioned above.
                            1. Put a stick on freezer latch and put it up high so the kids couldn't reach it (that's why mine was left open)
                            2. Bought a wireless wifi yolink thermometer that sends alerts through my phone if the temp goes over 10 degrees. A LOT of piece of mind for the investment.
                            Last edited by jt400; 06-04-2022, 06:26 AM.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me a few years back. Everything "seemed fine" and I had about the same internal temps as you. I ate some of it but was always scared of it and was never going to enjoy it or feed it to my family. Had one package smell off and that was it for me. Tossed it all.

I did 2 things as mentioned above.
                              1. But a stick on freezer latch and put it up high so the kids couldn't reach it (that's why mine was left open)
                              2. Bought a wireless wifi yolink thermometer that sends alerts through my phone if the temp goes over 10 degrees. A LOT of piece of mind for the investment.

Comment

Working...
                              X