Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-28-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Default 3/4 ton and 1 ton truck tires

Is the nitto ridge grappler and Toyo rt still the preferred hybrid tire by most? I need new tires in about a month and trying to figure out what to run. Would consider a good all terrain too. Not interested in mud terrains. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Obviously many run other brands so dont roast me for my opening statement. Also, interested in mileage, toughness, and road noise primarily.

Going on a stock 2018 powerstroke.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
Is the nitto ridge grappler and Toyo rt still the preferred hybrid tire by most? I need new tires in about a month and trying to figure out what to run. Would consider a good all terrain too. Not interested in mud terrains. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Obviously many run other brands so dont roast me for my opening statement. Also, interested in mileage, toughness, and road noise primarily.

Going on a stock 2018 powerstroke.

I have never had a tire outlast the Michelin factory tires that come with them, but I can't bring myself to pay for the same tire when they are shot. I've been replacing them with BFG's and have tossed around the idea of putting on the Ridge Grapplers the next time I need tires.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

Been running Nitto tires on my 3/4 ton for about a year now they are holding up very well.
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

I have been running Cooper ST Maxx. They have held up great for me & road noise is low. I have had them in mud, snow, gravel ,sand etc. Have been great. I drive off road where there is cactus, mesquite & no issues there either. The place where we elk hunted in New Mexico were running them on all their trucks. Told me they were using them ,because they held up to abuse.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Run Toyo RT 37-12.50s in my 17’ F-350. Road noise is good, traction is great, and durability is excellent. That said I only got 31k out of my first set. I’m driving a deleted 6.7 that’s not easy on tires though. I’d think 45k on a stock truck would be doable with proper rotation. I liked them enough to replace them with the same tire regardless.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #6
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I will be putting Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx on my 2017 F350 later this week. The Goodyear Wrangler AT's that came on my truck have 4/32's left on them at 32,000 miles.

Up here, the most popular hybrid AT tire is the Cooper ST Maxx. A couple of friends of mine who are in the tire business have told me most all of the guys hauling heavier trailers in the oilfield that run off road a lot really like this tire.

It is considered a hybrid because its tread pattern sits between a conventional AT and an MT.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Not a very aggressive tire but I have had great luck with Duscount tire Pathfinder AT’s on my Ram 2500 plenty of life left and 48k on them
twosixteens is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Just my experience from the last 13yrs...... I’ve drove primarily F250’s since 2006. I’ve had Toyo MT’s on every one of them (6 trucks total) in either a 35” or a 37”. They average 38K to 42K per set for me. They would last longer, but I’m a freak about worn tires and I pull them off early when they still have what most would consider “good tread”. They are tough as nails. No BS, during that time I never had a flat tire that left me stuck on the side of the road. I did have some punctures, but it either didn’t fully penetrate the tire, or it went thru and stayed in there and I was able to get it fixed later on. Only my opinion, but they are by far the best, toughest, low noise MT you can buy.

Now..... skip forward to last month. I bought a new F350. I can’t stand the stock tires. They look like shiat and they don’t provide enough off-road traction. I decided to go with 35” Falken Wild Peak AT3w’s. I did this because I’ve had 3 sets of these tires on my 4Runners and they are awesome both on/off-road. They wear well. Very quite. Plus they are cheap (atleast for now) in a 10 ply E rated at less than $1000 a set delivered. These have performed amazing on my 4Runners all over the US, in some extremely harsh environments, but I’m still undecided on how they will do on my F350 that is pretty much always towing a hefty load.

Either way.....you can’t go wrong with Toyo. In any style.

Last edited by Trevor73402; 08-28-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #9
RattlesnakeDan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I run Kenda Klever on my SD. They have a 3 ply sidewall instead of 2 ply on most 10 ply tires, no road noise, great traction and wear and cheaper than most brands and made by Cooper I believe. I also haul 15-20k trailer loads as well as drive the stubble fields most mornings hunting hogs, impressed with them.
The Toyo dealer told me about them and recommended them over the Toyo's they sell.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
Arrowthreat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Just my experience from the last 13yrs...... I’ve drove primarily F250’s since 2006. I’ve had Toyo MT’s on every one of them (6 trucks total) in either a 35” or a 37”. They average 38K to 42K per set for me. They would last longer, but I’m a freak about worn tires and I pull them off early when they still have what most would consider “good tread”. They are tough as nails. No BS, during that time I never had a flat tire that left me stuck on the side of the road. I did have some punctures, but it either didn’t fully penetrate the tire, or it went thru and stayed in there and I was able to get it fixed later on. Only my opinion, but they are by far the best, toughest, low noise MT you can buy.

Now..... skip forward to last month. I bought a new F350. I can’t stand the stock tires. They look like shiat and they don’t provide enough off-road traction. I decided to go with 35” Falken Wild Peak AT3w’s. I did this because I’ve had 3 sets of these tires on my 4Runners and they are awesome both on/off-road. They wear well. Very quite. Plus they are cheap (atleast for now) in a 10 ply E rated at less than $1000 a set delivered. These have performed amazing on my 4Runners all over the US, in some extremely harsh environments, but I’m still undecided on how they will do on my F350 that is pretty much always towing a hefty load.

Either way.....you can’t go wrong with Toyo. In any style.
I agree about the Toyo M/T's. They outlast most hybrid or all terrains in my experience. I've ran just about all of the popular off road tires, and the Toyo M/t's are the toughest. Only downfall is they are heavy as heck. I have them on my truck right now. They're not the "best" tire in mud, but they're better than the hybrids and all terrains by a long shot.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #11
Texans42
Ten Point

I just installed my third set of RT’s. I got a little over 60k on F250. Think I got roughly 66k
Texans42 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

Had a fella that had the Toyo MTs and got 105k out of them. Couldn't believe it, but mostly interstate travel and rotates every 5k with oil change.
SAC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #13
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

I have over 50,000 on my nitto ridge grapplers right now and will probably get another 15 or 20 more out of them. This is on a 3/4 ton also. They are great tires and quiet.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 10:37 AM   #14
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
I have over 50,000 on my nitto ridge grapplers right now and will probably get another 15 or 20 more out of them. This is on a 3/4 ton also. They are great tires and quiet.
I've been happy with mine as well. I like the aggressive all terrain, does what I need them to do.
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #15
Bucksaw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jacksonville, Jasper, or Wherever Im invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
I have been running Cooper ST Maxx. They have held up great for me & road noise is low. I have had them in mud, snow, gravel ,sand etc. Have been great. I drive off road where there is cactus, mesquite & no issues there either. The place where we elk hunted in New Mexico were running them on all their trucks. Told me they were using them ,because they held up to abuse.
I run the same tire, and to me the road noise rivals most mud tires. The ride is OK, and the wet road manners are pretty good for a tire this aggressive. However, I find that on the terrain that I drive offroad, when it gets wet, they dig, A LOT! If there is a bottom to it, it might be better, but when its wet like this year, they just dug straight down. Had similar issues with Toyo MTs, but the ATs were just aggressive enough to grab, but not so much that they dug me into a hole. Not at all unhappy with my Coopers so far, but will be going back to NItto or Toyo ATs when theyre worn out.
Bucksaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #16
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I have switched to Hankook tires from Michelin and they are better riding, handling and better traction even though the tread pattern are near identical. Wear seems to be about the same. Best part is they are half the price of Michelin.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #17
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosixteens View Post
Not a very aggressive tire but I have had great luck with Duscount tire Pathfinder ATs on my Ram 2500 plenty of life left and 48k on them
We had good luck with the pathfinder tires for many many years on our ranch trucks and personnel trucks, I have no idea why I switched over to other brands
Great E rated a/t tires , and good service and price
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #18
Pintail45
Six Point

Hunt In: Across the great blue yonder

Check out Toyo CT
Pintail45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #19
abilliott
Six Point

Toyo Open County AT2 (XT) extreme would be a good choice along with the RT's
abilliott is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #20
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
I have never had a tire outlast the Michelin factory tires that come with them, but I can't bring myself to pay for the same tire when they are shot. I've been replacing them with BFG's and have tossed around the idea of putting on the Ridge Grapplers the next time I need tires.
Yeah I feel like a dummy for not going back with Michelin but I hate the way they look and they arent cheap. But they are silent, ride great, and good traction. I have 57k on them now. I figure another month and I'll swap them. I dont run them bald or even close.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #21
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Hankook
meltingfeather is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #22
mooch
Ten Point

Had the Toyo R/Ts on my 2016 F250 for ~35,000 miles before I hit a wheel barrow on I-10 that managed to slice underneath the tread. They still held pressure but obviously had to be replaced. Had that not happened they easily had another 15,000-20,000 miles in them. I was in a bind and had to go with BFG KO2s after that and hate them.

Im due for new tires soon and will go back to Toyos, regardless of price. Tires are one thing I wont skimp on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mooch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #23
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

I used to run Toyo's but price was getting too high. Last few sets have been Cooper ST Maxx. My ranch buddies down south run them, and it seems like every oilfield truck I see has them. Now on my second set on my 2017 F250. They wear good, not much noise, and are tough. I will drive my truck where most would not, and never worry about flats. Got about 45,000 miles on the last set, but changed them pretty early. Probably could have easily gotten another 10,000 out of them.
Chance Love is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #24
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch View Post
Had the Toyo R/Ts on my 2016 F250 for ~35,000 miles before I hit a wheel barrow on I-10 that managed to slice underneath the tread. They still held pressure but obviously had to be replaced. Had that not happened they easily had another 15,000-20,000 miles in them. I was in a bind and had to go with BFG KO2s after that and hate them.

Im due for new tires soon and will go back to Toyos, regardless of price. Tires are one thing I wont skimp on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I HATE KO2s on a heavy truck, but love them on half tons and lighter. Ive got 60k currently on my Sierra 1500, and have half the tread left. They perform excellent for my uses. Id never put them on my F-350 though. Ive ran them on heavy trucks in the past, and they sucked.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #25
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Im a fan to Toyos . I was given a set of nittos with about 75% tread . Im going to run them and see if I like them . The tire seems to weight a lot more then the toyos in the same size .Im running 37s
Strummer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #26
csmith936
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co/Houston Co

I run Toyo MT's on all my trucks. Been doing that for the last 10 years
csmith936 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #27
Tyrex750
Six Point

Hunt In: Hardin co.

I have the ridge grapplers also, very good on the pavement but suck in the mudd. When these wear out, I'm gonna go back with cooper stt pros
Tyrex750 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #28
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I just got done with a set of Toyo Open Countries, they didn't last for squat, and were louder than I felt like they should be.

Put on Cooper AT3s this morning.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #29
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Have had 2 sets of Toyos and wasn’t impressed.
Have had good luck with Cooper, bfg, and Michelin.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #30
Bucksaw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jacksonville, Jasper, or Wherever Im invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Im a fan to Toyos . I was given a set of nittos with about 75% tread . Im going to run them and see if I like them . The tire seems to weight a lot more then the toyos in the same size .Im running 37s
Both are made by the same company. There are some slight variations, but they should wear pretty similar.
Bucksaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 01:53 PM   #31
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by abilliott View Post
Toyo Open County AT2 (XT) extreme would be a good choice along with the RT's

I recently bought a set of these and they are by far the worst tires Ive ever run on wet pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #32
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

I’ve had several sets of BFGs and I love them.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 05:29 PM   #33
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
I run Kenda Klever on my SD. They have a 3 ply sidewall instead of 2 ply on most 10 ply tires, no road noise, great traction and wear and cheaper than most brands and made by Cooper I believe. I also haul 15-20k trailer loads as well as drive the stubble fields most mornings hunting hogs, impressed with them.
The Toyo dealer told me about them and recommended them over the Toyo's they sell.
I looked at these Kenda tires. How.many miles are you getting out of a set? For the price, they look worth a try to me. I really want the ridge grappler I think, but these will be hard not to try. I'm going to get some pricing on a few.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #34
BUCKSTAR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Inside the 40 Acres

Ridge grappler ATW
BUCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 05:49 PM   #35
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

RidgeGrapplers are great if you’re just driving on pavement, they’ll get eaten up on caliche roads and brush will puncture them pretty easily. With all that said I got 78,000 miles out of my set, but that was also about all I could squeeze out of them. But I went with Cooper STT Pro’s this time around, louder and tougher ride, but they’re holding up to the caliche roads and brush a lot better than the RidgeGrapplera
160class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #36
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
I looked at these Kenda tires. How.many miles are you getting out of a set? For the price, they look worth a try to me. I really want the ridge grappler I think, but these will be hard not to try. I'm going to get some pricing on a few.

Here is a review of the Kenda it would make me nervous unless the price was right or someone else could give them a positive review as I am always willing to try a product but dont want to be a test pig maybe on the farm truck price wise I would still take the DT pathfinder over a maybe brand

Pros

Excellent off road traction
Quiet on the highway for a mud-terrain tire
Competitive pricing

Cons

Most drivers see 35-45K miles out of the tread

DT pathfinder hard to beat that price and warranty
Attached Images

Last edited by pilar; 08-28-2019 at 06:14 PM.
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top