Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
COPPERHEAD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins, Bowie, Lamar Counties
Default Rib injury

I fished Lake Fork Saturday evening. It was a good trip until we hit a stump right under the surface. It launched my buddy from the center of the boat hitting me and knocking me down landing on a rod holder mounted on the side of the boat. I have never had a rib injury before, boy does this hurt! The pain has been worse when trying to sleep and getting up in the morning. Doc said no broken ribs just bruised badly. Anything you can do to speed up the healing? I'm planning on going back to work tomorrow.
COPPERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
bullhead44
Ten Point

soak it in cider
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Don't laugh it will hurt. Been there done that!
Healing will take time. Maybe heat or cold may relive some pain?
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
COPPERHEAD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins, Bowie, Lamar Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead44 View Post
soak it in cider
I did last night. Woke up feeling worse!
COPPERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Sorry to hear, bud.

Had a pretty gnarly rib injury after a fall down some wet steps last year (butt bone still hurts). I'd post the pics but all I got was some of my backside.

Dr said ice, on and off, the first couple days. After 48 hours, heat. Not sure if it was a placebo affect but I felt that Epsom salt soaking helped. 2 cups in your warm bathwater. It cant hurt...
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
kcmarullo
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

I got horned by a cow last thanksgiving while working cows, it wasn't broke but sure felt like it was. Still have some pain every now and then but getting better.
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
Charles
Pope & Young

Don't cough or sneeze.

Time is the only healer I have found for ribs.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I did that crossing a fence when the wire I was standing on broke. Fell with all my weight on the Tpost. I was sure I had broken a rib but the doc said it was just a deep bruise. I asked him what I could do to reduce the pain and he looked me right in the eye and said "it would be best if you didn't breathe for the next 72 hours or so" Gotta love a smartarse doctor!
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
Bisch
Pope & Young

Go to the drug store and get a rib brace. Itís like a girdle for your ribs and helps lessen the pain.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Go to the drug store and get a rib brace. Itís like a girdle for your ribs and helps lessen the pain.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
YES. Compress the ribcage to keep it from expanding/contracting while breathing, sitting, moving, anything really. I broke 4 ribs one time and it was the absolute worst thing I've ever been thru. I wore a wrap for almost two weeks until I could bare the discomfort.

Other than that, time is the only thing that heals ribs injuries.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #11
bullhead44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPPERHEAD View Post
I did last night. Woke up feeling worse!
I've got nothing then. Rib injuries suck. Can't do much moving around, and can't sleep comfortably.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #12
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Nothing you can do but wrap around ribs to limit movement. You really dont want to laugh cough or sneeze. It will eventually heal.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 01:19 PM   #13
MadHatter
Ten Point

Eat hydrocodone and wish it was over with it lol.
I used to be in MMA heavily, and smoker rounds in the gym, consisted of you fighting anyone that was ready, regardless of size. The big bastage came down on me full force with 1 knee driving into my ribcage. He ripped all the cartilage between my lower ribs, somehow without breaking a single one.
One of the toughest recoveries I've ever been through. 2 months of laying around, trying not to fart, laugh, cough, or breath.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #14
Robertt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

Cracked three ribs and my doctor told me they don't encourage wrapping. He said it can lead to shallow breathing. Full strength Tylenol was all I took because the pain pills he gave me knocked me out. Coughing and sneezing hurt the worse.
Robertt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #15
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

I had a bad rib injury. Many broken. Only relief was when a friend brought me a joint. I ended up calling him back and getting a hook up on a quarter oz.

Best 25 bucks i have spent on medicine. It hurt to breath, eat, sleep, sit, stand, lay down.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #16
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertt View Post
Cracked three ribs and my doctor told me they don't encourage wrapping. He said it can lead to shallow breathing. Full strength Tylenol was all I took because the pain pills he gave me knocked me out. Coughing and sneezing hurt the worse.
Yep I am dealing with the same now. Dr at Rotary told me not to wrap
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 03:22 PM   #17
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

So you got that stump marked on gps now?
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #18
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Instead of laying down just sit back in a recliner where the pressure is the best is my only advice. They just take time and it bites.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #19
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Yup... I'm with Brandon and Robert. Dr told me last year NOT to wrap
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #20
justincorbell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: china, nome, beaumont, freer, junction and wherever I am lucky enough to be invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
I had a bad rib injury. Many broken. Only relief was when a friend brought me a joint. I ended up calling him back and getting a hook up on a quarter oz.

Best 25 bucks i have spent on medicine. It hurt to breath, eat, sleep, sit, stand, lay down.

people will frown at it but thats no dang lie, in 2013 on my way home from work one afternoon a woman pulled out in front of me and I T boned her at 65mph, I was driving a honda civic. I broke my right hip, fractured my right wrist, broke 4 ribs on one side and 3 on the other and destroyed my knees (and the lower dash of my car). The doctors couldn't really do anything for any of my injuries aside from give me pain meds and they sent me home the same night. The pain meds didnt do anything but make me nauseous...and throwing up with broken ribs is probably the worst pain ive ever felt in my life.... Had one of my best friends do the same for me as I was in a wheelchair and out of work for 3+ months anyhow so it didn't matter. That stuff helped me unbelievably well for ALL of the pain I was experiencing. Some of my family looked down on it but within 3 days they changed their minds when they saw just how big a difference it made.
justincorbell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 05:20 PM   #21
kornsqueezer
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over

Icee-hot and aspercream will help ease the pain.
kornsqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #22
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincorbell View Post
people will frown at it but thats no dang lie, in 2013 on my way home from work one afternoon a woman pulled out in front of me and I T boned her at 65mph, I was driving a honda civic. I broke my right hip, fractured my right wrist, broke 4 ribs on one side and 3 on the other and destroyed my knees (and the lower dash of my car). The doctors couldn't really do anything for any of my injuries aside from give me pain meds and they sent me home the same night. The pain meds didnt do anything but make me nauseous...and throwing up with broken ribs is probably the worst pain ive ever felt in my life.... Had one of my best friends do the same for me as I was in a wheelchair and out of work for 3+ months anyhow so it didn't matter. That stuff helped me unbelievably well for ALL of the pain I was experiencing. Some of my family looked down on it but within 3 days they changed their minds when they saw just how big a difference it made.

yep same here. Pain meds when you took enough to ease the pain made me sick and grouchy. The herbal meds lifted my spirit, even cracked a few smiles and a laugh from time to time. Got comfy and was able to relax and heal.

People can look down on me all they want.

From experience. weed has been the best pain, and stress relief when injured. Food is important as well as state of mind for healing.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 10:53 PM   #23
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Dadgummit, Kris! I have had several broken ribs, and it is not fun. Nothing tomdo but take pain meds and wait it out!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2019, 11:11 PM   #24
Beerkat
Ten Point

Hunt In: My place, one day.

Don't wrap them. Ribs flex and wrapping won't do any good. Ibuprofen and/or aspirin. Then avoid laughing, sneezing, coughing, and sleeping on them. Good luck. Haha. I broke 4 ribs two years ago when I got T boned and it took a full 6 months before I started feeling normal. Then a full year before the I felt good enough to do strenuous activity.
Beerkat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top