Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #101
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Florence, Doss, Fredericksburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowflinger84 View Post
Not true. Shooting someone in the leg or away from vital organs is a way to neutralize without it being fatal. A head shot would be hard to council against but a chest shot would be a better option. My only point was the terminology. If in your mind you have determined to kill someone even in self defense you have to be careful on how to state that in court. The prosecution would spin it that you did not retreat and do everything possible to avoid a fatal shooting. You are not judge, jury and executioner just because someone is in your house committing a crime. Shooting someone is a felony without amnesty and that is why she is on trial to determine the amnesty did she have cause to shoot and kill a man in his own apartment even though she thought she was in her own. I think in her mind she was not trying to commit murder.
We ABSOLUTELY are. That is why the CASTLE DOCTRINE is in place. I dont have to retreat. IT IS MY HOUSE. Are you saying that an intruder, IN MY CASTLE, has more rights than me and my family, IN MY OWN HOUSE? Goodness gracious. If my family is put in harm's way, by someone that I do not know and that I do not know his/her intentions, then I will make that call. What if I shoot to wound and that person recovers and wants revenge? He/She now knows where I live and comes back another time when I am not at home and it is just the wife and kids. Should my wife shoot to wound him again? Just WOW man!

Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 10-01-2019 at 10:58 AM.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #102
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
She needs to go to jail. If she wasn’t a cop, I doubt it would even be in the news.

I walk into your house and shoot you dead, I’m going to jail, no if ands or buts..and certainly no people arguing/hoping that I walk, like in this case. That’s the part of the “thin blue line” that make a lot of people like me sick.
Somebody is very butt hurt....

Manslaughter or hung jury I would imagine. Sad deal all the way around.
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #103
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehorn View Post
i haven't followed to close but from reading the thread i would say barely not guilty on murder. I know that is like being pregnant as you either are or you're not but i think it is really close since she didn't render aid (cpr, call 911, etc.). I say definitely guilty of manslaughter and because of barely being not guilty of murder i would give her the max penalty of manslaughter.

It may not be relevant to some but i have a couple of questions i truly don't know the answer to that i think are similar, especially for the not guilty folks:

If i live in a subdivision and fire a round straight up in the air, say to celebrate 4th of july, and it hits and kills a kid on the way down innocently watching fireworks would i be charged with anything? If so, this should be the absolute minimum she is found guilty of as i would have a lot more compassion for the person in this situation than her. I don't necessarily think there was intent but someone is dead...so if you say she is not guilty, would you not charge me in this situation?

yes

if i'm driving home from work late at night and get in a wreck that is my fault and i kill someone, what would i be charged with? I didn't have intent but someone is dead...so if you say she is not guilty would you not charge me in this situation? Again, this should be the absolute minimum she is charged with.

no

if i go out and have 3 beers (not drunk but as the commercials say buzzed driving is drunk driving) and then get in a wreck and kill someone what would i be charged with? I didn't mean to kill anyone. I made a mistake that could have and should have been avoided but i could argue 3 beers didn't affect me enough to kill someone. But someone is dead...if you say she isn't guilty would you not charge me in this situation? This is the verdict and punishment i think would be most appropriate as the 2 equate in my mind as far as it being accidental but 100% avoidable.
yes
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #104
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
Did you report the attempt to the police?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yep .. I stayed for 2 hours and when they finally showed up they were more worried about why I had a gun than finding the bad guy.. the store clerk told the same story I did but in the end I felt like I was being accused of doing wrong.. But there are a lot of people that think ordinary citizens shouldn't carry a fire arm .. can't judge everyone by the actions of a few..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:05 AM   #105
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

There's a scripture verse that says something along the lines of: "all things are permissible, not all things are advisable". I certainly don't know all the ins and outs of "Castle Doctrine", murder, manslaughter, etc. But, i think that when you / we decide to pull a trigger and take a life, the game changes. IF someone invades my house, i'm going to defend. If i, mistakenly or not, invade someone else's house, i might expect to be shot. It may have been permissible for her to behave the way she did. I was not advisable.

In my opinion, there are sometimes when we just have to be "right". Mistakes can't be made. We can make a mistake of walking into the wrong apartment. We can't make the "mistake" of killing the occupant of the apartment we accidentally wander into. And especially, an armed police officer, off duty or not, can't make that mistake.

I've said it on the other thread, and it's still the best thing i can come up with: I don't know what "justice" looks like in this case. But i think that when the verdict is rendered not many people are going to feel like justice will have been served. I'm still glad i'm not a family member on either side of the equation, and i'm still glad i'm not on that jury.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #106
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

No matter what the outcome is, there will be people not satisfied. Even if they do convict her of murder, I think she will get the least amount or close to that of time to serve.

If I worked anywhere near that area today I would take the day off. There are going to be protests that will block the streets and from then who knows what foolishness will be seen.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #107
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Sorry but I don't even know how it would be possible for a sober person to do that..

No need to apologize, I don’t see how a sober person could dream up all of your conspiracy theories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #108
whitecrow
Four Point

Quote:
........If you break into a house you dont deserve to die and its not the homeowners position to take your life just for that. However, if you threaten the family or property of an owner while trying to stop you there could be a fatal action involuntarily taken in route to stop you.
Soooo, I wake up in the middle of the night and there's a burglar in the house. I've got to determine his intent before I mag-dump him? Is that what you meant to type?
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #109
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrow View Post
Soooo, I wake up in the middle of the night and there's a burglar in the house. I've got to determine his intent before I mag-dump him? Is that what you meant to type?
you should ask politely if he intends to harm you
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #110
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
She needs to go to jail. If she wasn’t a cop, I doubt it would even be in the news.

I walk into your house and shoot you dead, I’m going to jail, no if ands or buts..and certainly no people arguing/hoping that I walk, like in this case. That’s the part of the “thin blue line” that make a lot of people like me sick.
x10
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #111
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal View Post
A crack head tried to rob a man with a knife is different than you being a women who can’t see what he had..
Why does this even matter?

It was his apartment, where he had the right to defend it with deadly force. Except he was shot and killed before he could.

If she gets off this case will be used by all kinds of defense attorneys defending home invaders.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #112
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Why does this even matter?

It was his apartment, where he had the right to defend it with deadly force. Except he was shot and killed before he could.

If she gets off this case will be used by all kinds of defense attorneys defending home invaders.
I don't think I have ever agreed with so many people on here before!
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #113
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

Quote:
Exactly. All the den do's as in "my little baby den do nothing" will now point at this case as to why their "baby" shouldn't have been shot despite robbing/stealing, assaulting, etc the shooter in the shooters home.
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #114
3DW5
Pope & Young

Quote:
I think its going to be close and do think that since Castle doctrine is on the table she has a chance at least for Manslaughter instead of murder. My issue is she stated she was shooting to kill. As a cop and/or gun owner that should never be your answer because either party does not deserve to die. If you break into a house you dont deserve to die and its not the homeowners position to take your life just for that. However, if you threaten the family or property of an owner while trying to stop you there could be a fatal action involuntarily taken in route to stop you. She just flat out stated she was shooting to kill. If I were on the jury that would be hard to deal with. Her council are idiots for letting her make that statement.
I 100% disagree, how are you suppose to determine if they are threatening? I will tell you how, they are in my house thus they will be dealt with accordingly. My family is not worth getting consent that they are a friendly robber...
Old 10-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #115
TCR²
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina Counties and Redmesa, CO

She's been found guilty of murder.
TCR² is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #116
BeetleGuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman, TX / Alread, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR² View Post
She's been found guilty of murder.
There you go!
BeetleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #117
Chad C
Pope & Young

Sure seems like the correct verdict to me. Now to see how the judge sentences her.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #118
MikeyG
Ten Point

guilty of murder!!!
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #119
BeetleGuy
Pope & Young

I’m stunned honestly. I did not expect that.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #120
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
guilty of murder!!!
Good
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #121
Kmart49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Stephens County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleGuy View Post
I’m stunned honestly. I did not expect that.
Me neither!
Kmart49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #122
eradicator
Pope & Young

Dont disagree but shocked all the same.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #123
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Seems like the definition of culpable needs to be reviewed.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #124
BeetleGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Dont disagree but shocked all the same.
That’s where I am
Old 10-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #125
IvoryRoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I’m very surprised.
IvoryRoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #126
3DW5
Pope & Young

I honestly do not see how it is murder, everything I have seen seems to indicate a TERRIBLE mistake. If it was a mistake I would think manslaughter... Terrible situation all around.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #127
parkchief100
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DW5 View Post
I honestly do not see how it is murder, everything I have seen seems to indicate a TERRIBLE mistake. If it was a mistake I would think manslaughter... Terrible situation all around.
This!
parkchief100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #128
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

Quote:
I think not providing any aid to him is probably what pushed the jury over the edge.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #129
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

I'm surprised she got murder, but no one is even disputing she intentionally killed an innocent man, so I guess it's not that shocking. They questioned her while presenting the forensics of where her shots hit (basically right in his heart) and asked her if she made those shots with the intention of killing him and she flat said, "yes". So I can see where the jury could weigh her admitted intent of killing heavier than her obvious mistake of location.

Really thought they'd give her manslaughter, but hopefully this can give his family some shred of peace.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #130
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
I think not providing any aid to him is probably what pushed the jury over the edge.
a headscratcher for sure
Old 10-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #131
3DW5
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just saw where it said she didn't help render aid...
Old 10-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #132
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Somebody is very butt hurt....

Manslaughter or hung jury I would imagine. Sad deal all the way around.
That would be me
She wasn't acting as LE
She was sexting and about to go do adult things
If she was Bob that works at Walmart this wouldn't even be news
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #133
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

so someone else posted this yesterday.

"Listened to a defense attorney's analysis. He said that since Guyger testified that her intention was to kill Jean, manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide come off the table and the judge may not allow the jury to consider it.
Murder or self defense."

the judged ended up allowing a manslaughter verdict anyway, so the whole strategy seems to have backfired on them.
sectxag06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #134
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Wow. Didn’t see that verdict coming.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #135
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
If I down a fifth of Jack and run your kids over while they play at the park is that murder or is that manslaughter get out in five years?
Old 10-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #136
narco1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillispie Co

Last edited by narco1; 10-01-2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: already posted
narco1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #137
3DW5
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
If I down a fifth of Jack and run your kids over while they play at the park is that murder or is that manslaughter get out in five years?
Appreciate you using my kids, the bottom line is that it was unintentional, thus manslaughter. The key is intent, once again thanks for using my kids for your analogy. Kinda sorry on your part.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #138
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Found Guilty....
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #139
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Appreciate you using my kids, the bottom line is that it was unintentional, thus manslaughter. The key is intent, once again thanks for using my kids for your analogy. Kinda sorry on your part.
Ok. Take your kids out and use Willy Wonkas kids
I didn't even know you had kids
I was just making a hypothetical

Sorry bro.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #140
3DW5
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
When you kill Willie's kids after drinking that is manslaughter.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #141
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie, Kimble

Wow, didn't see that coming... all around just a chitty situation
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #142
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Dangit now we can't riot
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #143
tgil
Pope & Young

Quote:

3. she did not try to retreat
As a LEO, she had no duty to retreat. This is where I see the lines blurred between her training and being off-duty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tgil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:22 PM   #144
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

....and Dallas isn't going to burn tonight.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #145
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
When you kill Willie's kids after drinking that is manslaughter.
vehicular manslaughter under the influence
Old 10-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #146
3DW5
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
vehicular manslaughter under the influence
Exactly.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #147
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Dangit now we can't riot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
....and Dallas isn't going to burn tonight.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Stepped outside for a few minutes. There is quite a bit of celebratory gun fire down here in the hood.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #148
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

That there was please dont burn down our city verdict.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #149
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apparently where the deer ARE NOT

Whoa, I didnt see that coming either. Manslaughter, yes, murder, nope.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
MONSTERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #150
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

When’s the sentencing?
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top