Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Bow blind

I’ve had this one in mothballs for a couple years now after moving it off a place where they were cutting timber. Too much labor in it to risk it to a wild skidder hand

My son and I put it up here at home on our largest food plot and overlooking a feeder. It’s built out of cattle panels and put on a commercial platform built by the RealBark guys in Henderson. I expect more hogs to succumb here than deer, because we shoot zero does at home and only one buck per year, if that.
Attached Images
 
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Front view. Big window in front and smaller ones on the sides. One facing the CanAm in the first pic needs the military type netting cut out, the last place I had it I had no shot that way so I left it covered.
Attached Images
 
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
parkchief100
Ten Point
 
parkchief100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rhome, Texas
Hunt In: Childress, Colorado
Default

Very nice! What did you use for siding and roof material?
parkchief100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkchief100 View Post
Very nice! What did you use for siding and roof material?
The roof was a “second” at RealBark that was gonna be melted back down and the blind is just cattle panel turned in a circle with a door fabricated from another panel. I built four of these but this is the only one on a tower. This one is covered in black plastic, then camo burlap, then the netting on the outside. They are hot for early season except in the mornings, but they do work well to keep your scent in.

Here’s one “naked”.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 09-02-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Pandora
Default

Nice looking blind, very simple.

By the way, I see that Sarge got a new Can Am. His "service people" take good care of him.

Nice looking machine Don, congrats.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Nice looking blind, very simple.

By the way, I see that Sarge got a new Can Am. His "service people" take good care of him.

Nice looking machine Don, congrats.
Thanks Jeff. I got the idea from looking at the plastic blinds that RealBark made. I did quite a bit of dirt work for the owner and got to know him pretty well. At the time they didn’t make bow friendly blinds so I bought a couple platforms and went from there. I originally had the front window bigger than needed and attached the shoot through netting with flat bar bolted together to “sandwich” the netting. Later I ditched that and now I just use regular paper clamps like you would use in an office to clamp a sheaf of papers together. Works like a charm and you can drop the netting to use a handgun or rifle, or to change out the netting. The rebar at the top keeps the plastic roof from caving in if you want to brush it up and serves to hang my Ozonics unit on also. I have three more on short wooden platforms. Easy to move with three people or just me with my tractor and forks. Here’s one of them.
Attached Images
 
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
MathewsTX5
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Default

Very nice.
MathewsTX5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
Hoss163
Pope & Young
 
Hoss163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Abilene tx
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
The roof was a “second” at RealBark that was gonna be melted back down and the blind is just cattle panel turned in a circle with a door fabricated from another panel. I built four of these but this is the only one on a tower. This one is covered in black plastic, then camo burlap, then the netting on the outside. They are hot for early season except in the mornings, but they do work well to keep your scent in.

Here’s one “naked”.
How do you draw a bow back in that little thing ?
Hoss163 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
How do you draw a bow back in that little thing ?
I guess appearances can be deceiving. It’s 6’ across. Plenty of room, better than most popups.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #10
bowaddict40
Ten Point
 
bowaddict40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Hunt In: Navarro County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I guess appearances can be deceiving. It’s 6’ across. Plenty of room, better than most popups.

How tall is it? Aren’t the panels only 4’ tall?
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowaddict40 View Post
How tall is it? Aren’t the panels only 4’ tall?
The panels have been added onto. I used a partial panel and welded it to a full one, but utility panels are 54” tall I think. Anyway, you can stand up in it.

Where the red dots are it’s tacked all around. The top is a dome, so it’s higher in the center.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 09-02-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #12
parkchief100
Ten Point
 
parkchief100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rhome, Texas
Hunt In: Childress, Colorado
Default

Very nice! Good job!
parkchief100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #13
bowaddict40
Ten Point
 
bowaddict40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Hunt In: Navarro County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
The panels have been added onto. I used a partial panel and welded it to a full one, but utility panels are 54” tall I think. Anyway, you can stand up in it.

Where the red dots are it’s tacked all around. The top is a dome, so it’s higher in the center.

Very nice. Thank you.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #14
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Added a little camo today to let it blend a bit more. Normally, with rainfall, that cedar will stay green for awhile. Probably not this year, it’s as dry as a popcorn fart here, but the needles will stay on through deer season.
Attached Images
 
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #15
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

THAT is a GREAT design sir! I'm likely to steal some of your ideas! I have a couple old bow blinds I took down from our old lease that I need to rebuild. Think I'll use those utility panels instead of the welded wire I originally used. I already have the frames, just need to attach the panels.
Good luck with it takin' out some porkers!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #16
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
THAT is a GREAT design sir! I'm likely to steal some of your ideas! I have a couple old bow blinds I took down from our old lease that I need to rebuild. Think I'll use those utility panels instead of the welded wire I originally used. I already have the frames, just need to attach the panels.
Good luck with it takin' out some porkers!
Thanks Slick, I’m sure some hogs will die here.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #17
manwitaplan
Pope & Young
 
manwitaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Friendswood
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Where did you get the frame for the door?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #18
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
Where did you get the frame for the door?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I built it. It’s actually part of the blind itself. The panels are 16’ long, I just turned one into a circle to fit the roof and welded a piece of thin strap, (thin enough to bend easily), into the space I had left. One on top and one on the bottom. Angle iron welded perpendicularly on each side completed the frame. I shaped part of another panel to fit that space, shaped a couple short pieces of rod and welded them to the angle. They fit into a couple of tubes on the door to make hinges. I can lift the door up a few inches and it comes off. Here’s one of the rods.
Attached Images
 
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #19
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Post deleted, pic wouldn’t load

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 09-10-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #20
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

You can see the angle iron on each side and the strap top and bottom. As I did this with no help, I put a ratchet strap around the whole thing and tightened it until the blind fit the roof since the roof and the platform was the starting point.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 09-10-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #21
manwitaplan
Pope & Young
 
manwitaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Friendswood
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I built it. It’s actually part of the blind itself. The panels are 16’ long, I just turned one into a circle to fit the roof and welded a piece of thin strap, (thin enough to bend easily), into the space I had left. One on top and one on the bottom. Angle iron welded perpendicularly on each side completed the frame. I shaped part of another panel to fit that space, shaped a couple short pieces of rod and welded them to the angle. They fit into a couple of tubes on the door to make hinges. I can lift the door up a few inches and it comes off. Here’s one of the rods.


Thank You!
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com