Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #51
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I am an old man who has hunted all over the world for most everything walking. That said, there is no place like Africa.
It has been 30 years since my first trip over there but I can still remember what the air smelled like that first morning standing on the porch with my recurve in my hand waiting on the sun to come up.
I can remember what that long plane ride smelled like. To each their own. Three years in that crap hole. I'll stay in Texas.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #52
redfishted
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrophy85 View Post
What outfit did you hunt with?

we hunted in Limpopo....I will say the Sable prices are coming down.

And i'm not familiar with the Cape Kudu.....We hunted the Southern Greater Kudu.

But yes, a Sable certainly is more within reach than a few years ago
Beyond Horizon Safaris, bunted with them in 17 and again this year, they were referred to me by the late Ed Phillips and they have been great, hunted outside of Port Elizabeth in 17 and Bloemfontein this trip.
redfishted is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 09:50 PM   #53
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I am an old man who has hunted all over the world for most everything walking. That said, there is no place like Africa.
It has been 30 years since my first trip over there but I can still remember what the air smelled like that first morning standing on the porch with my recurve in my hand waiting on the sun to come up.

This ^^^^^ I hope to experience someday
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #54
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

No way I would pay the money to shoot Africa animals in Texas.. 18 hours of flying is well worth the experience..
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 10:01 PM   #55
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

I want to do it real bad. For someone that isnít just the biggest fan of planes to begin with, 20 hours seems a tad long.
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 03:27 AM   #56
bowhuntvideo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Ambien and bourbon make short work of the flight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowhuntvideo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 05:14 AM   #57
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

I haven't read all of the posts, so it may have already been said, but if you want to really throw it out of kilter add a KUDU in there.. $15,000-$18,000(or more) here and $2,500-$5,000 there..

Give me Africa, all day, everyday.....
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 05:23 AM   #58
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Dan View Post
You have to pay taxi if you shoot in Texas or SA, difference is you can do taxi in SA much cheaper if you choose. I had my Cape done in SA, they did a great job and at prices much less than US.
Their work, anatomical accuracy of manikins and tanning chemicals and techniques are sub par at best. More like sub standard.
This sacrifice plus what you will pay for the shipping of "mounted animals", vs skulls and skins, you are not saving much money if any...
I have argued this point many, many times over the years and have yet to be proven wrong... Not once..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 06:44 AM   #59
r_u_sharp_2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

I went in 18. I had a lot of questions since I am a meat before trophy guy. Finding out the outfitter serves wild game the majority of meals.. then donates the remainder of the meat to local churches.. made it an easier decision.

I would not have hunted the animals in Texas as they were way above what I could afford.. my package(5 animals) was cheaper than the cost here for the one animal I wanted.(Gemsbock)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_u_sharp_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 07:26 AM   #60
redfishted
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Their work, anatomical accuracy of manikins and tanning chemicals and techniques are sub par at best. More like sub standard.
This sacrifice plus what you will pay for the shipping of "mounted animals", vs skulls and skins, you are not saving much money if any...
I have argued this point many, many times over the years and have yet to be proven wrong... Not once..
I did not find this to be the case, I have toured Splitting Image Taxidermy Studios in Port Elizabeth twice, I would say their work is some of the best I have ever seen. They also have a shop in the Houston area I believe. I ran the cost of having the Taxidermy work done there and having them ship the capes and Horns to my guys in the states, very little difference in cost, what you spend extra in freight for shipping the mounts you save on dip and pack fees. The down side of having them done here is time, I believe your crates would arrive in the states in about the same amount of time either way, if they ship hides and horns you still have to go through the waiting time for the taxi work to be done in the states before your mounts are home. Having said all that I had my work done at home because of my relationship with my local taxidermist, had I not been friends with the folks at Southern Wings in Huntsville I would have had the work done in SA.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #61
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

rlander when you put it that way its a no brainer. Thanks for the info.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #62
Hunter Dan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
You can find good plumbers and electricians as well as bad all over the world. You can not group the quality of work for everyone in a country because of a bad experience with one. Splitting Image is in SA and they did my Cape better than most I have ever seen. They see these animals more than taxis in the states so they can capture them better in my opinion. I have a good taxi here too though and have my last safari with them. The Outpost in Denton.
Hunter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #63
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

I am another one that will choose Africa. I want to go back. I don't even know what I want to shoot, but it is just cool.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #64
Huntsman27
Six Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX

I never really had much interest in going to Africa in the past but over the last few years I have kinda thought about it some Not really a burning desire to do, more of that might be pretty cool but I always thought it would be something that wasn't affordable as I have never really looked into. The info the OP put together is very informative.
Huntsman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #65
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Awesome comparison.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #66
Ten Ring
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clifton, Mart, Evant

I'm going. My wife and 7 year old son are going with me as well. We are trying to hammer down dates right now. From the guys that have gone, when is the best time to bow hunt over there? We are also going to stay a little longer to go to Kruger National Park.

Things on the list are Kudu, Zebra, Impala, Warthog and maybe a few others is I can save up the cash be fore we fly out. For the experience and the price you cant beat it. I can't wait.
Ten Ring is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #67
Buffalo1
Four Point

Trying to compare Africa hunting to Texas is like trying to compare an apple to a tomato. Both are red on the outside, but once you cut in to them these is no likeness.
Buffalo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #68
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Ring View Post
I'm going. My wife and 7 year old son are going with me as well. We are trying to hammer down dates right now. From the guys that have gone, when is the best time to bow hunt over there? We are also going to stay a little longer to go to Kruger National Park.

Things on the list are Kudu, Zebra, Impala, Warthog and maybe a few others is I can save up the cash be fore we fly out. For the experience and the price you cant beat it. I can't wait.
I've been in mid May and lots of green still, but many animals rutting. I was successful and enjoyed it. 2nd trip was in mid June. Dryer, end of some rutting, very successful. last 2 trips were in July. Very successful. Any time during the season is great. I have heard that late in the season, Late Sept, Aug, the bugs are pretty bad, but I've never been during that time so don't have any first hand knowledge.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #69
Hombre
Spike

I notice most of the posters that have been mentioned South Africa. I've been there once and won't go back. Sure it was fun, people nice, food good but.....in no way does South Africa compare to Zimbabwe or Botswana. Now I know all the South Africa operators are getting their shorts in a pinch but I will stand by my opinion and everybody has that right. Until you've been charged by an elephant, heard a WILD lion roar outside your tent, leopard rasping at midnight and had real cape buffalo that weren't raised in a pen to be released barrel by you at a few feet, you simply have missed the real purpose of hunting Africa.
As Buff stated in an earlier thread, the first sight and smell of REAL Africa will never leave you till the day you die. Best money I've ever spent.
Let the bullets fly!
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 09:27 PM   #70
Hunter Dan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I notice most of the posters that have been mentioned South Africa. I've been there once and won't go back. Sure it was fun, people nice, food good but.....in no way does South Africa compare to Zimbabwe or Botswana. Now I know all the South Africa operators are getting their shorts in a pinch but I will stand by my opinion and everybody has that right. Until you've been charged by an elephant, heard a WILD lion roar outside your tent, leopard rasping at midnight and had real cape buffalo that weren't raised in a pen to be released barrel by you at a few feet, you simply have missed the real purpose of hunting Africa.
As Buff stated in an earlier thread, the first sight and smell of REAL Africa will never leave you till the day you die. Best money I've ever spent.
Let the bullets fly!
I agree with most of this, I think the best part of SA is the Eastern Cape. Zim is amazing but not as safe and if you are traveling by vehicle, prepare to get hustled at the border crossing. I also agree that Botswana is amazing but you can not hunt there at the moment unless you have a friend there with a private farm, all other hunting is closed but this should be changing soon.
Hunter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 09:48 PM   #71
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

It aint for everyone for sure...Ö...either the flight, the perceived costs, the meat, etc. The flight can always be broken up into more segments, which can actually save you money.....or upgrade to the next cabin which is worth every copper penny. The perceived costs of the trip have been debunked dozens of time on TBH and anywhere else hunting is talked about or viewed. Yep, meat cannot be brought back into the country but that holds true for 99% of international travel. Ask my wife about her cheese from France.....lol!!! I eat plenty of what I thwack on these trips and having the opportunity to DONATE it is a incredible experience. Heck, I donate most of what I thwack in Texas, Louisiana or anywhere else I hunt in the U.S. boundaries! For me it is ALL about the experience of meeting folks from other cultures. I cannot say I have ever had regret from bouncing around the globe hunting, and it just gets better when my girls travel with me. It is wonderful to know that folks that don't happen to live on this continent really want the same basic things that any of us want for our families. Way more in common than differences!!!!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 10:06 PM   #72
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

I surely thought that I would get home sick from being gone for 2 weeks. Didn't miss home a bit. It is addicting and we are already saving to go back. The long flights are not fun, but being in a bush camp for 2 weeks really makes up for it for me.

The only animal I would shoot here would be an Eland for the meat. Eland tenderloin was delicious.
Stolle is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 10:25 PM   #73
redfishted
Ten Point

Quote:
Let the bullets fly!
You sound like a man up for an adventure,Have you tried the Congo or Uganda?
Old 08-28-2019, 12:39 AM   #74
Blank
Six Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

Five trips, to Namibia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa. Nothing like it anywhere and must be experienced at least once in your life. Have taken elephant, buffalo, leopard on foot with hounds, and most of the PG available in the various countries. Have a couple bucket list animals still to go and just keep planning a way to get back.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #75
Hombre
Spike

Uganda was high on my list to hunt those monster buffalo but my contact there got run out. Ethiopia is a front runner for the east African plains game. Nine trips and I still get excited as a 10 year old kid on his first deer hunt.
I've had several friends go with me and they all said they knew they would get homesick after a few days. All said it was the only trip they had been on where they had no desire to return home. One friend told me he never missed his wife one time and we were there 21 days. I did notice he was watching the housekeeper awful close on about day 14. lol
I made good friend on my one hunt to south Africa but when you compare to zim or Botswana, it's apples to oranges. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feeling. If you liked south Africa, you owe it to yourself to make a trip to zim or better, Botswana when they open up maybe next year.
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 10:20 PM   #76
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: zavala county/pecos county

Quote:
Uganda was high on my list to hunt those monster buffalo but my contact there got run out. Ethiopia is a front runner for the east African plains game. Nine trips and I still get excited as a 10 year old kid on his first deer hunt.
I've had several friends go with me and they all said they knew they would get homesick after a few days. All said it was the only trip they had been on where they had no desire to return home. One friend told me he never missed his wife one time and we were there 21 days. I did notice he was watching the housekeeper awful close on about day 14. lol
I made good friend on my one hunt to south Africa but when you compare to zim or Botswana, it's apples to oranges. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feeling. If you liked south Africa, you owe it to yourself to make a trip to zim or better, Botswana when they open up maybe next year.

we are looking at Botswana or Mozambique.

what are the differences compared to SA?
txtrophy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #77
rladner
Pope & Young

To me, hunting Africa is about an "adventure vacation". Its not a trip to the meat market. I would LOVE to bring all that delicious meat back, but I can't. When I go on a family ski trip over Christmas this year I will likely end up spending about $7K. I will not be bringing any snow back with me . I will be having a wonderful experience with family and friends and making memories of a lifetime. The photos I take will be my "trophies". I will have fun and give my wife and kids memories that will never leave them and they will cherish for life. Same with Africa. The meat would be nice, but the trip is SO much more than that. Like Oscar mentioned, knowing the meat is not wasted is a great peace of mind. I am contributing to conservation by providing protein to the locals, who in turn will not need to poach. The orphanages will also benefit. The experience shared with family and friends is priceless. The new friendships made at camp with new friends also has a ton of value to me. What's funny is most those who are concerned with the meat will pay way more than that on a deer lease year after year. Why? Most will shoot 1 or 2 deer. That's a lot of money for not a lot of meat. No, you pay it so you can get away and enjoy the experience. The meat is just a bonus. Like I said, its an adventure vacation to me.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #78
rladner
Pope & Young

Quote:

I think he is referring to it being more "wild". Less fences. I'm just guessing because I've never been to anywhere besides SA. I know my PH is based out of SA, but spends a lot of time with clients hunting those countries. He recently got back from 3 weeks in Mozambique. Think it depends on the client and the adventure and species they are after. I'll have to ask him what his thoughts are.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #79
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: zavala county/pecos county

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladner View Post
To me, hunting Africa is about an "adventure vacation". Its not a trip to the meat market. I would LOVE to bring all that delicious meat back, but I can't. When I go on a family ski trip over Christmas this year I will likely end up spending about $7K. I will not be bringing any snow back with me . .
don't let facts get in the way of a good argument
txtrophy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #80
aggieman08
Eight Point

Quote:

If I make it back, I will go with this outfit. Enjoy.

marromeusafaris.com/?page_id=1928
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #81
cajunguy88
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrigging View Post
Well I leave Friday for my first safari in SA so I will have to report back!
Who are you flying with? Myself and a group of hunters are heading to Sa with Delta today.
cajunguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #82
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

Those prices for Texas killed animals didn’t include meat processing costs. Idk how much it costs to process a wildebeest, but I’m sure it’s around the same price as a calf. Then, 3 more animals... I’ve never had 2 deer, a pig and a calf cut and wrapped. I’m sure it’s a pretty penny!

And the ones who are whining about the plane trip, stop making excuses! Yeah, it sucks, but.... How many of y’all drive from Dallas to south Texas? How long does that take? Or drive from Houston to Wyoming for an elk hunt? Have you ever drove from San Antonio to disney? It ain’t that much longer. Leave here, land in Paris or Germany or London, have a few hours to walk around, get something to eat, have a few drinks, then get back on the plane and go to sleep. Few hours later, you’re there!

Nothing like Africa. I went on my once in a lifetime trip to Africa, with Landrover, back in 2008. At the time, I was planning an archery elk hunt in New Mexico. 5 days hunting, food, guide, lodge for $7500. 1 animal. Not to mention the @$$ time in the truck to drive to and from Houston to Grants, New Mexico. That’s about 15-17 hours (close to the same time it takes to get to Africa!) Soooooo, after comparing prices and value, didn’t take long to change my mind! Plane ticket, 2 impala, 2 wart hogs, 1 wildebeest, 1 female springbok, 7 days hunting, all inclusive food, lodge, laundry, alcohol, tips, 1 shoulder mount, 3 skulls, 1 rug, shipping to get taxidermy home, less than $7000.

I’m making plans for trip #4 to Africa! Nowhere else will you see the numbers of so many different animals. It’s not like a HF in Harper that has a kudu and a zebra and a couple impala. You will see herds of springbok, hartebeest, Cape buffalo, monkeys, giraffe, waterbuck, wildebeest, impala, blesbok, ALL THE SAME DAY! The food, people, culture, sights, smells, experiences are unbelievable! The hunting is amazing. Dollar for dollar, there is no comparison.
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #83
firehunt fish
Four Point

Hunt In: Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladner View Post
Well, for one, you simply can't recreate the experience and atmosphere.
That says it all right there..... I agree with rladner and the others who have been that convey this simple sentiment.... You go to Africa for the overall experience, not to check the boxes on a list of exotic trophies....

The plane ride does kinda suck, but I would gladly do it once a week now knowing what awaits me once I get there. Even still, the journey is all part of the experience. The culture, the food, the people, the landscapes, and of course the animals you will encounter in Africa do not compare to anywhere else you can go. And, I have been very fortunate to have been around quite a bit.

Add in the value and what you can get dollar for dollar compared to any other outfitted hunt, and an African hunt stands alone... That's why my wife and I have scraped, saved, and worked countless overtime hours to have hunted & fished Africa 6 times in the last 15 years, and we plan to go back as often as we can afford to...

I really encourage anyone thinking about it to make it happen at least once before you leave this Earth. The only problem is that you will be making your plans for your second safari even before the first one is over....
firehunt fish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #84
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Different strokes for different folks.

Hoping to make it over there in the next few years myself.
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top