Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-06-2019, 04:52 AM   #1
Tbuddyandroby
Eight Point

Hunt In: Votaw
Default School me on buying a Travel Trailer

I'm seriously thinking about buying a travel trailer. Below is the link to the trailer me and my wife really like; But, I don't think the asking price is even close to what it should be. With TTL and warranty, it would be $40K for a bumper pull. What makes this trailer worth anything more that $25K? We like the bunkhouse, double entrance/half bath, and one entrance into the half bath. The salesman said hung walls vs laminated walls make a huge difference. This one has laminated walls. Also, for the Asking price, I'd think there would be auto stabilizers? Also the fiberglass is better than corrugated metal because it's easier to clean, but don't all calk need to be maintained/replace regardless? Below, the first link is the coach we like, and the second is a much cheaper option. Whatever I buy will be sstored Inside covered storage. Feel free to offer other options of trailers my 1/2 ton can pull with the options we like. Sorry for the long post. Thanks

https://www.exploreusa.com/product/n...10bh-975645-29

https://www.exploreusa.com/product/n...8bh-1012943-29

Last edited by Tbuddyandroby; 05-06-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Tbuddyandroby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 04:58 AM   #2
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Neither link work for me, but as far as travel trailers go I say buy used.
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 05:02 AM   #3
Tbuddyandroby
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Neither link work for me, but as far as travel trailers go I say buy used.
Thanks, try them now.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:12 AM   #4
Mayhem
Pope & Young

My camper is much like the first one. Mine is a jayco jayflight G2 32bhds.

We bought our after it was traded in at 3 years old and paid 18k for it. Just something to think about. Ours is metal not fiberglass and like it a whole lot better than the fiberglass one I had before.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #5
hgiles
Ten Point

Hunt In: my blind

Call Chris at Family RV in Sweetwater. He beat everyoneís price on my 5thír toy hauler a few years back. Only other comparable price I found was all the way in Florida.
hgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #6
friscopaint
Ten Point

there's a 2016 28 footer in classifieds asking $18,000
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #7
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Unless your living in it traveling for work.....Holiday Inn is X10 cheaper......thats all I got.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #8
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

at one time the advice I got was don't buy anything that walks, crawls or flies (mallard, prowler etc).

That said a close friend bought his 'mobile mansion' last year in august. It was a brand new 2018 they needed off the lot. It was 25k less than the original asking price

I may be looking in a year or so and it will be used
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #9
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

I agree with others, buy used.

While thatís a nice looking trailer but they still drop like a rock in value and they are still a manufactured home built with cheap materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #10
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

On the list of "buying new is a stupid idea" RVs are #1 on my list.
Boats are #2, cars are #3.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 08:22 AM   #11
doublearrow
Ten Point

We bought new strictly because we couldnt find the floor plan we wanted used. The floor plan we bought is the first one you showed, we love it. We paid alot less than the asking price your link shows. We bought from family fun in sweetwater. We spent 60 nights in it last year after buying in March and have plans to spend 70 nights or so in it this year. We bought it knowing the value would tank, but hope by the time we are done its wore smooth out. All about the memories camping for us.
doublearrow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

My $.02 on a couple things:

MOST importantly, I don't care what half ton truck you have or how it's geared/rated, it will hate life and be borderline dangerous towing the trailer in the link. 900 lbs tongue weight when dry is going to be well over 1000lbs loaded. Factor in gear loaded in the truck and you will be way over GVW. Don't ever listen to a camper salesman on what your truck can/should tow.

Like others have said, campers/RV's, boats, etc...are items A TON of people buy every year thinking their going to use them, only to pay $100/month on storage fees for a year or two before they realize it ain't being used as much as they intended. You should EASILY be able to find a similarly equipped camper to what your looking for at HALF the cost of new and still get a good finance rate, if you are financing.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #13
Coastal Ducks
Eight Point

I think the fiberglass exterior is not a big deal. We have had both. Both get dirty. Both are a pain to wash. I wouldn't pay $10k for a fiberglass exterior. Same for the interior walls. If you were going full time I'd tell you shop it hard and buy the highest quality you can find because most are not up to the beating of full time living. But for a weekend here and there deal, they are all built pretty crappy honestly. Just slightly different levels of crappy. It's a box to keep you and your stuff dry and warm/cool. I'd worry more about the bathroom setup, the bed and how much AC you have than I would what kind of interior wall material you have. I've been in a number of different RVs and I can't remember looking at the interior walls and thinking, "dang, those are some nice walls".

Buy used. There are lots of nearly new rvs that people bought and found out it isn't their thing. It isn't that hard to find a solid deal on a really clean used rv.

Only other thing I'd tell you is really think on the bunkhouse. That is what we had and I wouldn't go that route again. You give up some living space to get the bunkhouse. We did that for our kids and their friends. Well, then they all end up fighting over who was going to sleep on the couch and would even sleep on the floor in the living room area. They hated sleeping in the bunkroom. So I ended up with a big storage space that could have been a big window and a couple comfortable chairs for momma and I.
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #14
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
I think the fiberglass exterior is not a big deal. We have had both. Both get dirty. Both are a pain to wash. I wouldn't pay $10k for a fiberglass exterior. Same for the interior walls. If you were going full time I'd tell you shop it hard and buy the highest quality you can find because most are not up to the beating of full time living. But for a weekend here and there deal, they are all built pretty crappy honestly. Just slightly different levels of crappy. It's a box to keep you and your stuff dry and warm/cool. I'd worry more about the bathroom setup, the bed and how much AC you have than I would what kind of interior wall material you have. I've been in a number of different RVs and I can't remember looking at the interior walls and thinking, "dang, those are some nice walls".

Buy used. There are lots of nearly new rvs that people bought and found out it isn't their thing. It isn't that hard to find a solid deal on a really clean used rv.

Only other thing I'd tell you is really think on the bunkhouse. That is what we had and I wouldn't go that route again. You give up some living space to get the bunkhouse. We did that for our kids and their friends. Well, then they all end up fighting over who was going to sleep on the couch and would even sleep on the floor in the living room area. They hated sleeping in the bunkroom. So I ended up with a big storage space that could have been a big window and a couple comfortable chairs for momma and I.
My kids as totally opposite. we have the bunkhouse with its own slide out and its like a huge bedroom. Each kids has their own bed with plenty of space for there stuff. I wouldnt have one that isnt a bunkhouse.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #15
Coastal Ducks
Eight Point

I thought it was a great idea for the kids. A place for all their stuff, bunks for them and their friends, a place to go play games and watch what they want to on tv, etc. My kids never liked it. I don't know why. It ended up being wasted space for us.
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
My $.02 on a couple things:

MOST importantly, I don't care what half ton truck you have or how it's geared/rated, it will hate life and be borderline dangerous towing the trailer in the link. 900 lbs tongue weight when dry is going to be well over 1000lbs loaded. Factor in gear loaded in the truck and you will be way over GVW. Don't ever listen to a camper salesman on what your truck can/should tow.

Like others have said, campers/RV's, boats, etc...are items A TON of people buy every year thinking their going to use them, only to pay $100/month on storage fees for a year or two before they realize it ain't being used as much as they intended. You should EASILY be able to find a similarly equipped camper to what your looking for at HALF the cost of new and still get a good finance rate, if you are financing.

X2. The dry weights listed are bare bones without any of the added options. Add the options, 400lbs of water, your gear and the weight is going to soar well past 8k. I know that some of the newer 1/2 tons are rated for 10k+ but only with the lowest rear end gear ratio available which most dealers won't stock. Even then the components are at their limits and it going to really suck towing, especially if you go to the mountains.

One thing most people forget is you have to maneuver and park this beast. Many state and national parks have very limited availability for anything over 30 feet and just wait till you have to make a sharp turn, City driving is particularly fun, not only do you have to clear the corner when turning but you have 10 feet behind the wheels that can side swipe the cars in the lane next to you.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #17
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

After having one, my advice is don’t.

Unless it’s for extended stay, but not long enough to rent a house. Sucks to pull, sucks to set up, sucks to unhook.... I’d get a tent and/or stay in a motel.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #18
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

Go online and look at as many manufacturer floor plans that you can and pick out several that you like . Check review on them but remember just about everything has some bad reviews. If it is a common problem on the reviews then I may shy away from it. Once you decide on a model you want go to rv trader and search for the model you want. They will give you a better idea of what the prices should be or at least what is a fair price. once you decide what you want and how much you want to spend look for dealers that have that model in stock to look at. A picture cannot give you a feel of how the space is laid out and how useful it will be. Whether you buy from that dealer or not at least walk in it and check out that companies construction. Once you have all this worked out and decide on a new rv enjoy it . Yes a motel may be cheaper but I cant park my boat behind a motel without taking it out of the water. enjoy
doright is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #19
smokeless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Find a floor plan you like and go shopping. New, used , I think everyone has given their thoughts. Metal sided trailers have a higher probability of rottening at the corners. Caulking will eventually go bad and leaks will happen. Swap out your tires every couple of years. A blow out will mess up a trailer. Trust me, I know. If going big, long, get a diesel. Most salesmen will say , sure your truck will pull it. Yeah, right. Being in Texas, most trips are a couple of hours. That gasser will get you there , but it won’t like it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and have fun.
smokeless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #20
Blank
Six Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

That is one big trailer. I currently pull a 33 foot toy hauler bumper pull with my half ton Nissan Titan. It has plenty of power with the 400 HP motor, but loaded is 700 tongue weight and about 10,500 pound. That's with full water, 30 gal of gas and my 2016 Kawasaki Teryx UTV. We sent up for a week to a month at a time, and it is no problem at all. My MSRP was $54K, and we paid $35K.

You should be able to do 28-30% discount on new, more if you are good at bargaining. I would never by a stick and tin trailer, only steel floor, aluminum frame and laminated sidewalk. Will Last lots longer and hold re-sale value better.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #21
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Over a thirty year career, I have seen literally every trailer brought out to the ranch turn into worthless Leakey piles of garbage, the same for the ones brought to the coast
IMO trailers require huge amounts of maintenance, most people don’t have time for
One small leaking seal on a slide out and now you have a molding problem or a good cold snap and things get all kinds of wonky with plumbing and electrical issues
And storage for them is very expensive and you still need to do monthly maintenance

Sorry I didn’t pull any punches on a rv but they are worse than boats as money pits, when you buy a used trailer you’re just buying someone else’s problem, buying new you are invested in heart ache

Last edited by pilar; 05-06-2019 at 11:57 AM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #22
bullhead44
Ten Point

As others have said, that is a lot of trailer. Especially for a 1/2 ton. We are on our third one. First was a 30 ft.fifth wheel, second a 36 ft bumper pull toy hauler, and the current one is a 21 ft Rpod. My advise would be smaller is better. we spend very little time inside ours. Its basically a place to sleep and ****. The one we have now only weighs 2600 lbs dry and has a tongue weight of 330lbs. I can hook it up and be gone in 5 minutes. Its also really easy to find a spot to park it. It much easier to maneuver as well I do feel a little undersized when I park it next to a 40 foot toyhauler sometimes.

If you decide to go that large, make sure it has 2 AC units. One will not cool that large of a space in Texas. I'm sure others disagree with this, but you asked for opinions. Good luck in your search.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #23
Tbuddyandroby
Eight Point

Lots of good advice so far; thanks !
Old 05-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #24
Filletem
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca/Hardin Counties

Whatever you buy new or used keep it under cover when not in use. It will save you a lot of headaches down the road. Ten years from now the trailer will still look new.
Filletem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #25
VanX
Four Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Anywhere thatíll have me.
Default Travel trailer considerations

I tent camped and did hotels extensively on long trips for many years. RV's/travel trailers offer great convenience since hotels and dogs are a difficult mix and you can't leave them unattended. We like to hit restaurants and local attractions when travelling so the TT is a great option.

I bought my first one used last summer and it works great for our crew. Wife and dogs. It's a smaller trailer @ 25'. According to everyone's opinion that offered council, very easily 1/2 ton towable! I bought used here on TBH and had a great experience with the seller. For the record, I'm happy with the purchase and it's already de-winterized this season and we were out for several nights over the long Easter weekend.

Dry its ~4900 (ultralight class according to manufacturer), and fully loaded we're never over 6000 on scale at the truck stop. Pulling with OBS 2007 Classic 1500 Silverado. 5.3L/3.42 rear ratio.

All that to say, util you actually hook up and pull that tin can down the road, no amount of opinion or expert testimony can tell you what how it's going to feel. Too many variables with truck/trailer and driving style.

All the specs seemed to line out easily for my rig at 7500 towing/<7500 truck weight, but nobody mentioned that I'd get down to 7mpg and often times be pulling up grades at 45/50 mph in 2nd gear. I limit myself to 3rd so as not risk buring out gears with the truck hunting/shifting when in 4th. You likely have more truck, and definitely more trailer at 32', so on paper, the numbers may work out. My seat of the pants experience didn't live up to my expectations or anyone's "educated" opinion.

Wind seems to be the biggest factor with my rig. So I slow down and take things easier. Often at 55 and never over 65mph. I make sure the front/back weight ratios are optimal with weight forward balance on the tongue. I have a sway bar attachment that definitely helps the side to side movement when trailering.

All this to say, I'm looking for a much bigger truck now for ease of towing and more capability when behind the wheel. I'd also like to travel to the mountains, but won't consider it until I have more truck.

A couple last notes, you'll be much better off if you're mechanically inclined. If you depend on dealers or remote mechanics, it can get very costly and time consuming. You should know that maintaining the thing is just part of the lifestyle. Cleaning, dealing with hitches, electrical, plumbing, truck upkeep and more, are critical when you're towing a house bending you.

Sorry so long winded, but there's alot to cover with this hobby. I thought I was educated on RV/TT since I've been around them for 25+ years. My dad is a full timer. I have learned a great deal in a short time after my purchase. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.
VanX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #26
Lonestar Hunter
Eight Point

My opinion from experience...38' is way too much for any 1/2 Ton no matter the weight of the trailer. That 38' is like a billboard going down the road the wind it collects in a slightly breezy condition will put you in the ditch or worse.
Also, I'm on my third travel trailer. I bought the first two new and third used. My first was 38' and I had a 1/2 ton. Bad Idea. My second was a trailer with pop out beds. Didn't like setting up the beds. Now, I have a 3/4 Ton truck and a 28' trailer with bunk beds, two entrances, laminated walls that I bought for 22k.
If I could start this whole thing over, I too would stay in a Holiday Inn.

Last edited by Lonestar Hunter; 05-06-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Lonestar Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 01:15 PM   #27
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville/Refugio

from what I've seen almost every RV manufacturer uses the same stuff inside... the furniture, faucets, stabilizers/slide motors... it's all the same stuff.

no idea why that one is nearly 40K, looks like a 24-26K trailer to me that would be worth about 17-18 in 2 years.
kyle1974 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #28
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

I am probably less experienced than most of the others commenting on here - I've owned one travel trailer, a used 26 footer. Mine was bought just to be used at my deer lease - I have only moved it twice (from where I bought it to the lease 11 years ago, from the lease to home when I lost the lease last year).
My main thought was that I had no idea trailers even had 'half bathrooms'. But there is no way I would waste precious footage on a half bath. On wet weather hunting trips, my trailer got real small real quick. Dedicating even the small footage of a half bath would be a waste to me.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #29
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

If you buy used, I would check, or have someone check, ALL the plumbing in it. Never know if someone left water in the lines all winter and they froze and busted until you go to use it.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #30
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

Never buy a new RV or boat unless price doesn't matter...

Too many great deals out there on used ones...people buy them and don't use them like they had planned....
MacDaddy67 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #31
Tbuddyandroby
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead44 View Post
As others have said, that is a lot of trailer. Especially for a 1/2 ton. We are on our third one. First was a 30 ft.fifth wheel, second a 36 ft bumper pull toy hauler, and the current one is a 21 ft Rpod. My advise would be smaller is better. we spend very little time inside ours. Its basically a place to sleep and ****. The one we have now only weighs 2600 lbs dry and has a tongue weight of 330lbs. I can hook it up and be gone in 5 minutes. Its also really easy to find a spot to park it. It much easier to maneuver as well I do feel a little undersized when I park it next to a 40 foot toyhauler sometimes.

If you decide to go that large, make sure it has 2 AC units. One will not cool that large of a space in Texas. I'm sure others disagree with this, but you asked for opinions. Good luck in your search.
What would be a good gross/tongue weight for my 5.7 V8 Tundra? I see your point about buying one that's easier to pull, maneuver, and park.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:51 PM   #32
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

IMO 600-700 lbs or 10% of 6000-7000 lbs or about a 24 or so footer
And a good properly setup weight disruption hitch
http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/r...-ton-towables/

A quote from the article I find very true
“Interesting the list of trailers that the author came up with. Every one of the examples push or exceed the upper levels of towing capabilities for a half-ton pickup. There are much better choices that are in the 3,500- to 5,000-pound UVW range available on the market that tow more easily and are still a reasonable size for couples or small families.”

Last edited by pilar; 05-06-2019 at 07:08 PM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #33
Smokeater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
What would be a good gross/tongue weight for my 5.7 V8 Tundra? I see your point about buying one that's easier to pull, maneuver, and park.
That highland ridge is among the pricier trailers. I've got a 32' coachmen that is about the same floorplan minus the second bath. I pull it with a 5.7 tundra and it does fine. No set up is fun bucking a head wind or in the hills but otherwise it does great. Dry weight on it is around 7500 I think. TWO A/C's are a MUST! I just put a second one on. There's a newer version of ours nearby that's for sale. Be glad to get you some info but I'm a long way from ya. Ours is a '15 model and ended up just short of 30K for it.
Smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #34
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

I'm going to school you don't buy one just rent cabins,houses or hotel save yourself all the problems of owning one.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #35
Dejashoot
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Brackettville and Brazoria

If you haven’t pulled a camper with your truck, I’d sure go rent something similar in size to what you are looking at. Towing that much of a camper with a half ton isn’t going to be fun going very far. I spoke with a guy next to our campsite pulling a 26’ with a f150. He said it was terrible. He was towing from Texas City to Edna.

I wouldn’t drop that much change and find out a month later that it was a waste.
Dejashoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #36
Drop Tine
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere and anything legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
I'm going to school you don't buy one just rent cabins,houses or hotel save yourself all the problems of owning one.
My wife sure likes our fifth wheel, but Iím with this guy. Thereís a VRBO available EVERYWHERE, and you can just enjoy your destination.
Drop Tine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #37
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

I have never seen anyone get their money worth buying a new one. You only use them maybe 2 times a month then they just sit in storage or your backyard and suck up a monthly note. The most I have seen them used is at a deer lease, but I would never buy a new one for the lease.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #38
coach2
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

My dad has sold rv's his entire life. He is the sales manager at Lloyds rv in Orange tx. His name is Dennis Baggett. Give him a call 409 745 2904 and he will gladly answer any questions you have. I know for a fact he has sold an rv to at least 4 tbhers.
coach2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #39
doublearrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Tine View Post
My wife sure likes our fifth wheel, but Iím with this guy. Thereís a VRBO available EVERYWHERE, and you can just enjoy your destination.
Thats like saying you can buy deer meat at the store lol. Deer leases cost a fortune, with no monetary return. And there is no VRBO where we camp.
doublearrow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 10:39 PM   #40
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Money pit like a boat. Depreciation will kill you. You will never get your money back for the few times you will use it.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #41
NaClH2O_therapy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County, Matagorda County
Default RV

As stated above they are expensive, high maintenance, they depreciate in value.
Towing a big one can be difficult.
But.... all that being said the memories made with family in an RV are priceless in my opinion. The conveniences of home towed behind you are awesome.
We have always camped in tents, but bought a new Travel trailer last summer. We have taken 5 trips in it so far, and used it all hunting season at the deer lease.
I wanted a specific floor plan with the bunkhouse for my teenage boys. It has been nice for them to have their own space and bring friends along. My floor plan is very similar to the first link you posted.

My 2011 Ford F-150 3.5l v-6 ecoboost pulls our
36' 7300# forest river vibe 308BHS. The weight distribution hitch keeps the truck level.
I have pulled it through the country between Junction and Sonora.
Windy days are a little rough on it, and gas mileage drops to about 8 mpg when I normally average
16-19 mpg.
I paid right at $30,000 for it, including all taxes fees weight distribution hitch and a few items I picked up in the accessory section of the store.

I am still considering adding helper springs or air bags to the truck for additional support and sway control.

I store mine under a cover at home. It stays at the deer lease Oct - Jan, home Feb-Mar,
Lease Apr.-Jun, Home Jun-Sept. Then back to the lease for deer season. Sometimes I wish I had 2 rv's like one of the guys I hunt with. He leaves one at the lease, and has one just for camping trips.

It came with a 1 year factory warranty which I have already used go fix an issue with one of the slides. That warranty expires in July, and I have already purchased an extended warranty plan through good sam, that includes roadside assistance. The policy covers most everything on the rv. My plan costs me $30/month with a $150 deductible, and that rate is locked for 6 years.

Link to my floor plan.
https://www.funtownrv.com/product/ne...8bhs-709941-29

Hope this info helps. Good luck and happy camping.
Attached Images

Last edited by NaClH2O_therapy; 05-06-2019 at 11:28 PM.
NaClH2O_therapy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2019, 12:12 AM   #42
100%TtId
Ten Point

How much % off sticker can you get a new one for these days?
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2019, 12:41 AM   #43
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post

I just canít see myself owning an RV ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #44
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I agree with all that stated that campers are poorly built rapidly depreciating assets and basically a horrible investment... That being said, we are recently camper less but we have had a camper from pop ups to a couple 40+ft 5th wheelers for the last 20 years. All 3 of our kids are "adults" now but I would not trade anything for the memories we made with them camping. The same could be said of all the boats we've owned as well. Buy what you can afford and use it.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #45
bullhead44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
I really have no idea on the Tundra. As someone else suggested above, it might be a good idea to rent one of the same weight to see how it pulls.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #46
Hunt life
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wilson / gonzales county

We are in the process of picking a travel trailer, this is exactly what I needed to read today thanks!
Hunt life is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #47
whitecrow
Four Point

I've only owned a few used ones for deer lease use. The leaks will happen....not if, when. I favor the aluminum roof, much easier to repair and re-seal. The EPDM roofs are a pain to maintain and super expensive to re-do. The only way to keep an RV from leaking is to put under a carport. Buying a used one is a good investment for a deer lease. At our lease, the first year we stayed in town at ~$125/weekend. We bought an older "deer lease" camper and we paid for it after about 2 yrs. It's making me money now!
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #48
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
How much % off sticker can you get a new one for these days?

A bunch. I went online and found ďwholesale ď price for trailer we were interested in. They charge $2000 to ship it hear. I then went local. Lol, they started in the high 30ís and I laughed. I told them wholesale price plus the $2000. They came back $800 more than what I said. I saved $13000 from their 1st price. Do your homework

A wise manís heart inclines to the right, but the heart of a fool to the left.
Ecclesiastes 10:2
bps3040 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #49
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

When is the best time to shop for one? I would think similar to boats that the fall/winter would be better as most people are done traveling when school starts back.
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #50
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

You could rent an RV or trailer and be done with it. Have all your gear on one shelf in tubs in the garage. No washing, no up keep.
We had a pop up for 15 years or so. Took family vacations once a year. We gave it to my SIL for her son to live out of. My wife wanted to go camping last year, and we rented a pop up. It was great, no A/C trouble. no upkeep, no storage. No tires to check, no bearings to grease, I'll also rent a boat or hire a guide to fishing.
Good luck to you and your family. those trips were some of the best times we had as a family. I will say, since the kids are out of the house, renting a home/cabin vs pulling a pop up, or staying at a motel is a stress free. We had the pop up parked at our lease for a few years too.
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top