Southeast Iowa Live.....Come Along for the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southeast Iowa Live.....Come Along for the Season

I started last years post of my Iowa season one year ago today. There is a reason for that. The bucks here in Iowa start showing pre-rut signs about October 15th to 20th. The bucks are almost 100% nocturnal until then. Some scrapes started showing up in early October, but now they are exploding. If you walk a field edge there are branch tips chewed and broken off everywhere. Even if there is not a scrape there you know the bucks have been working the licking branch. It is tempting to hunt early October and some hunters are successful, but by in large you are just educating the deer with your movements to and from your stand locations.

I pulled a card yesterday. I had my first buck daylight picture since late summer on 10-16-20 (Saturday). I went out yesterday evening at 5:30pm about 300 yards north of the house and sat in the Terrace stand. I saw 4 does and 4 bucks between 5:30 and 6:50. They turn on like a light switch every year around October 15-20 and start showing up in daylight (right before dark). Two of the bucks were acting like buddies when I first spotted them and later they got into a pretty good fight across the way on one of my food plots.

I was planning to start hunting around October 25, but it is time to at least start carefully hunting evening stands when the wind if right. The "October Lull" is winding down and pre-rut is in its beginning stages.

I hope to take you thru my season here in Iowa. I will be hunting our farm, several of my neighbors farms, and some public ground. I will be hunting most everyday at least some (weather and my 66 year old body permitting), I still have a lot of chores around our farm heading into the winter.

Despite what you see on TV and have heard, Iowa hunting is not easy. There is abundant food sources everywhere. It's harvest season and a lot depends on what the farmers are doing. You try to set up using all the intel from scouting, game cams, observation at dawn and dusk, etc. You never really know which trail the deer are going to come from. Then you have to be fortunate enough to stop them in your shooting lanes and make the shot.

The deer density is not high. The buck to doe ratio is great, but the actual number of deer is not high at all compared to parts of Texas.

If you have ever hunted Hagerman you will know what I am describing. This is like hunting Hagerman everyday. The potential for a huge buck is always there. You got to be on your toes every second and also have some good luck.

I will do my best to keep this thread updated throughout my season.

Here is a link to my season last year here in Iowa.

Awesome, good luck this season!

Comment

Tagged

Comment

I was hoping you would do it again this year Mike. In fact I’m gonna re-read last years thread, thanks for linking it. Good luck !

Well, I went back and re-read last year’s thread and discovered that I missed the climax ! Belated congratulations on the buck you got, and I’ll make sure I follow this year’s thread to the end.
        Last edited by Drycreek3189; 10-19-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Good luck on your season!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck....I’m 2 season away from being able to draw Unit 5!

Comment

One of my favorite threads ! Good Luck.

Comment

I’m in, good luck on a big one!

Comment

In

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Throw down a couple of Chips Ahoy cookies with mustard on them for good luck! Go get em Mike!

Comment

I'm in! Tagged!

Have enough points after this year to draw Iowa... Will be following closely!

Comment

Ok. Now season is officially open! Hurry 2022!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            I was hoping you would do it again this year Mike. In fact I’m gonna re-read last years thread, thanks for linking it. Good luck !

Well, I went back and re-read last year’s thread and discovered that I missed the climax ! Belated congratulations on the buck you got, and I’ll make sure I follow this year’s thread to the end.
                            Thanks!! It was exciting. The locals always say you got to be in a tree on November 7th, 8th, and 9th. A friend of mine came up in 2018 and shot a good one about a mile up the creek on the 8th. I didn't have a tag in 2018 because we had not lived here long enough. Last year I killed my buck on the 9th.

It's in the 30s and spitting sleet. I have been out on the Kubota doing some dirt work. A pretty good snow storm just passed to the north of us. It should be a good evening. I am going to do another "observation" sit this evening....armed with my bow of course.[emoji846]

All the deer I saw last night ended up in a little food plot about 170 yards behind the house. I was in a tree about 300 yards away. I am going to set up in my saddle about 70-80 yards from that food plot. I am not 100% sure, but one of the bucks I saw last night looked like a shooter. Huge body, very dark coat, and tall white horns. He was feeding in the food plot and watching two younger bucks fight. I hope to see him again tonight and get a game plan if in fact he is a shooter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Subscribed!

Comment

Working...
                              X