Friday was a Good Day....Health Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday was a Good Day....Health Update

The past year has been a roller coaster ride of health issues and emotions. About this time last year I found that my PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) had gone up from the mid 3 range to 4.5

Above 4 is the marker that signals possible prostate cancer. Last October I went to urologist. He did a urine based test (EPI test) that I had never heard of. The results of this test suggested that I should have a biopsy. For some reason I didn't have a lot of confidence in this Dr. Also, I saw him at a regional clinic and found out I would have to drive 70 miles to his home based clinic for a biopsy. Deer season was starting so I put everything on hold..... priorities.[emoji846]

In January I found a different urologist that was highly recommend and more local to where we live. This urologist had heard of the EPI test, but uses the PSA test for diagnosis. My PSA results had actually lowered to 3.8 which was a little confusing, but encouraging. With my history of a PSA over 4 this urologist recommend a prostate specific MRI which he scheduled for me at the University of Iowa medical center in Iowa City. About the time I was supposed to go for the MRI in early February I got Covid. I got the infusion (at that time it was the BAM infusion) and fortunately it was a mild case. I still have no taste or smell and get tired easily, but other than those symptoms I recovered pretty quickly.

I got the MRI last March which indicated two small lesions. The radiologist has a rating scale 1 thru 5 that rates lesions/tumors. 1-2 benign, 3 undetermined, 4-5 malignant. Mine was 3.... undetermined. So in April I had a biopsy which revealed that I do have cancer. They also ran a genomic test. Genomic tests examine gene expression levels within a sample of tumor tissue. They provide information about the tumor’s biology and aggressiveness. The genomic test along with the Gleason score of the lesions showed the cancer to be be fairly low risk. This was still a shock to hear, but the Dr. was optimistic that this is not going to kill me....at least not soon.

He recommended a program which is called "Active Surveillance" which basically means we will monitor my condition will PSA tests every 3 months and MRIs and biopsy if determined needed. Research shows active surveillance is a safe way for men with low risk prostate cancer to avoid or delay unnecessary treatment. Research has shown you have the same chances of living for 10 years or more as you would if you chose to have treatment with surgery or radiotherapy.

I went back for my first 3 month check up on July 1st. My PSA had dropped to 3.2. I was surprised and happy. The Dr. was optimistic, but cautioned me to not let my guard down. He said "We are playing with fire here and we have to be very careful not to get burned".

I went back this past Friday for my second 3 month check up. I was really stressed out last week as the day approached. I tried to stay busy around the farm doing some concrete work and working on food plots to keep my mind off it. Anyway.... My PSA is holding steady at 3.2. I was again greatly relieved. The Dr. recommended another MRI and biopsy which is protocol for the active surveillance program at 6 months. I asked him since my PSA has been lower and stable for six months if we can wait until after deer season. He agreed to waiting until around the first of the year.[emoji106]

I have also been on the Joe Tippens alternative cancer treatment (fenbendazole) regimen that Burnadell opened my eyes to here on TBH. I appreciate the information that Randy posted here. I don't know if it has helped, but it sure has not hurt. I am going to stay on it. At least I should not have any worms. I am using ivermectin for Covid prevention and Fenben for cancer treatment.[emoji106]

I give all the glory to God and the power of prayer. My wife and I have prayed a lot about this over the past year. I always try to speak a prayer aloud when I see a prayer request here on TBH. Please keep me in your prayers.

“For where two or more are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” Matthew 18:20

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Continuous prayers for you sir.

Comment

yes sir...........Friday was a good day

Comment

That’s good news Mike. Fortunately there are good treatments if you have to have them. Here’s hoping you remain out of the danger zone.

Comment

Great news and I hope that all of your news is good news going down the road.

Comment

Great news Mike, continued good stuff coming from the Doctor!! Good luck this season!!

Comment

Great to hear you are keeping it under control, Mike! Continued prayers for you.

Comment

So what caused you to first seek answers?

Comment

Thank you God

Comment

That is great news Mike!

Comment

Prayers up for you Sir! May the Good Lord restore and maintain your health.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        That’s good news Mike. Fortunately there are good treatments if you have to have them. Here’s hoping you remain out of the danger zone.
                        Thanks !!!

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
                        Great news Mike, continued good stuff coming from the Doctor!! Good luck this season!!
                        Thank You !!!

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                        Great to hear you are keeping it under control, Mike! Continued prayers for you.
                        Thank You Randy !!! I appreciate the info about Fenben.

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                        So what caused you to first seek answers?
                        When my PSA went up over 4.0 which is the marker that cancer could be present. My primary Dr. suggested that I go to a urologist.

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                        Great news and I hope that all of your news is good news going down the road.
                        Thank You !!!

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                        Thank you God
                        Yes !!! Thanks !!!

Originally posted by Double L View Post
                        That is great news Mike!
                        Thank You !!!

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Prayers up for you Sir! May the Good Lord restore and maintain your health.
                        Thank You !!!

Comment

Prayers up, Mike, just follow your doctors advice. I’m in a similar situation as my PSA jumped from 1 to 5, it’s been lower for the last year so I’m on a 4 month scheduled test and exam.

Comment

Glad to hear the encouraging news, Mike. Lifting prayers up now, for continued healing. Give Tracy a hug for me!

Comment

Mike, so glad all is well with you, brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X