Holy Mother of Snakes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Mother of Snakes!

Let me preface this with, I am not one who believes all snakes are evil and should die, but I am definitely not a fan of snakes. Anyways, it's been almost 4 years since we moved to our little 10 acres in the woods, and I have killed 1 copperhead and 1 coral snake. I haven't even seen but one more copperhead further back on the property...until the other night.

I got home after dark and walked up the porch to go inside. As I was walking in, I flicked the porch light on and turned to close the door but something caught my eye before it closed. It was a copperhead sitting on the railing of the porch. I slammed the door and quickly grabbed my machete to take care of him. By the time I got back out he knew the jig was up and started to slither down the railing. Luckily I had enough time to smack him once mid body to make sure he didn't get away, and half of his body went flying off the porch.

When I walked off the porch to grab the front half of the snakes body I caught more movement...another freaking copperhead was right under me! So I lopped his head off real quick and wondered what the odds of seeing two right after one another was. The next thought was, "I need to take a quick glance around the yard just to make sure"...

Well that thought turned the next 20 minutes of my life into a nightmarish dream.

I walked 15 yards and saw a copperhead slithering across the driveway...Whack, he's gone. I pull my flashlight up and 10 yards away is a waaaay bigger copperhead moving in the yard...Whack, he's gone. I get my flashlight up yet again and 15 yards away is another copperhead trying to get to a tree for cover...Whack, he's gone. This happens within 3 minutes, and at this point I stop for a second and realize what has just transpired and think "Holy crap that was crazy and my adrenaline is pumping! What a story I'm going to have". Just then, movement, another copperhead 10 yards away, bigger yet again...Whack, he's gone. I focus again and draw my flashlight up to scan the yard. 20 yards away, more movement, smaller copperhead (very young)...Whack, he's gone. Not but 5 yards from that one, another copperhead...Whack, he's gone. I've made it across the entire front of the yard at this point and turn around to go back for one more pass just to make sure, and what do ya know, another friggin copperhead...Whack, he's gone.

It's 10:00 at night now and I shout out loud "Holy S*** I'm in an actual nightmare!" Well maybe that scared any more off because I saw no more after that. Needless to say the overdose of adrenaline had me up past my bedtime by a couple hours. That, and I couldn't close my eyes and not see snakes.

Careful out there fellas! Anyone ever seen this many in a half acre area at one time? Any ideas what drew them all out at the same time?
    Attached Files

Wow!

Comment

Wow.... that’s all I got

Comment

Get ya some guinea fowl now!

Comment

Nightmare for sure. That is freaking crazy man.

Comment

Dang!

Comment

This time of year, they congregate anywhere there are trees at night to eat cicadas as they emerge. I can guarantee you that's why there were there.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                This time of year, they congregate anywhere there are trees at night to eat cicadas as they emerge. I can guarantee you that's why there were there.
                This 100%

Comment

Good lord...I would need a strong cocktail or 5 after that....

Comment

Dang!!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Cicadas are out now.

Comment

Mother loade

Comment

My business partner was bit by one last year right around the time cicadas were hatching. They will pile up under oak trees when they hatch. You said you turned to porch light on and saw them there.. curious if there was a food source or if that is a light you leave on often? Crazy!

Comment

You done good is all I can say

Comment

Yikes is all I got. Glad you made it through unscathed other than the near heart attack I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X