Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any "Affordable Healthcare Subscribers" on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any "Affordable Healthcare Subscribers" on here?

I have a question that maybe someone enrolled in "Obamacare" can answer. Let's say your monthly premium cost is $1500 per month, but you are supposed to be subsidized 33% based on your annual income. Are you really only paying $1000, or is the "subsidy" really not what they say it should be? I may be needing to sign up for this and want to hear real stories, not what the people on tv say.

Thanks

Originally posted by RODEO View Post
    I have a question that maybe someone enrolled in "Obamacare" can answer. Let's say your monthly premium cost is $1500 per month, but you are supposed to be subsidized 33% based on your annual income. Are you really only paying $1000, or is the "subsidy" really not what they say it should be? I may be needing to sign up for this and want to hear real stories, not what the people on tv say.

Thanks
    Isn't it to late now? Wasn't the deadline to enroll March 31?

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
      I don't need it now. My wife's company provides it now, but we are looking at going into business for ourselves, so we're trying to find out what "actual" cost will be. I'm a little skeptical taking the governments word for it. Want to hear from actual subscribers.

Comment

Both my parents enrolled and the subsidy is what they were told it would be. My Mom is diabetic and my Dad has some medical problems too and nobody would even think of insuring them. They called and got Obama care and with the subsidy they both have better insurance than I do and both of their premiums combined are less than what I pay for just myself.

Comment

The "deadline" was extended until April 15th.

Comment

I pay like 195 a month, and it's pretty decent insurance. I am self employed so employer insurance isn't an option.

Comment

The deadline was only extended if the application was started by March 31...but that ignores OP'S question. I started a business 3 years ago and could not find any decent plan that I could afford. For my wife and me it will be $386/month for OK coverage that will protect us from having to file bankruptcy if I end up seriously injured/sick...Not saying it's the right answer, but, for me right now, it's better than what was available.

Comment

Originally posted by Campxmas View Post
                The deadline was only extended if the application was started by March 31...but that ignores OP'S question. I started a business 3 years ago and could not find any decent plan that I could afford. For my wife and me it will be $386/month for OK coverage that will protect us from having to file bankruptcy if I end up seriously injured/sick...Not saying it's the right answer, but, for me right now, it's better than what was available.
                I didn't ignore his question, I answered it in the post above that one.

Comment

Yep, enrolment is shut down until after the elections,barry doesn't want the voters to know how much its going up. But I think Hank Aaron is enrolling next week...

Comment

Subsidies... does that translate to what I'm paying?

Comment

I'm self employed and fortunately my policy wasn't cancelled last year, but it is very similar to the Obamacare plans. For a family of four we're paying around $800/month for health + dental. We stayed with our existing plan because it was slightly cheaper.

Comment

What are your deductibles on the ACA plans? That is where I heard that they get you with very high deductibles.

Comment

What kind of deductibles are there on these $800/$1000 a month premium plans?

Comment

Guess slinger and myself were thinking the same thing...

Comment

Honestly I don't exactly remember and it's nearly impossible to look it up through BCBS. But when we were looking at them there were a bunch around $7,000 and then again around $10,000-$12,000. I think we are in the higher bracket. So you're right they are getting you there, but fortunately my PCP still takes the policy so I can keep going to her.

Where they are getting us (that no one has talked about) is what's on the formulary. My allergy meds, for instance, run about $100/month before the deductible. Most of the prescriptions we've gotten this year have been pre-deductible, too. And I don't really know how you review the formulary before you choose the policy, or if that would even be helpful.

So basically we're looking at between $19,000 - $20,000 in medical expenses annually before we see any insurance reimbursements. I'm not bitter about it, but if you're getting a subsidy, you're welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X