Your hunting stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your hunting stories

Seeing Warwagon's deer is pretty darn cool.
    But I'll be really honest and say most of us don't hunt in a place that has deer like that.
    I've given up on that dream and am happy to just have a place to hunt, that is covered up with deer and pigs, and I can bloody a stick on most any given hunt if I'm not picky.[emoji16] However my excitement in my hunts doesn't end with the shot. Even when I know I made a great shot there is an anticipation and excitement on the blood trail, the sigh of relief when I see the animal piled up. The sense of accomplishment and knowing it's work time at that point.
    I'm always happy to see guys and gals post these animals and get a lot of enjoyment reading about yourr hunts as well.
    Maybe I'm just getting older but it sure is nice to see kills posted by each and all of you. But a few details of how you got to the point of the hero pic would be nice too.
    Spike or monster buck, doe, pig, squirrel or rabbit, I like seeing them and reading your excitement about getting them when you post.
    So please take the time, even if you only post it in the kill thread, to tell a little about the hunt and shot. That way we can enjoy your success a little more.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Old one. But my first trad kill.

Comment

That was a good pig.

Comment

Thanks DRT, for putting into words what a lot of us are thinking. As far as I’m concerned the hunt is more important than the kill, especially if it is a hunt that you don’t do every day, but even the backyard deer or pig hunts are interesting.

Comment

Not to mention some may be enjoying hunting season vicariously through others because they can't hunt or hunt much for a variety of reasons like health or finances.

Comment

Well...I thought I posted the story above
            ..but that was more of a live hunt.

Full story...

Comment

A buddy and I were bow hunting and I tagged out one morning. We had been seeing some hogs, so that afternoon, he was up a tree about 200 yards from me deer hunting, and I picked a spot on the ground leaned up agaist a tree and pointing away from him. I had a lever acition 44 mag and a 1911 in 45 ACP.

About and hour later, I see those hogs about 75 yards out. Brain shot one with the 44 mag. Down in those oaks, the sound was everywhere and the pigs didn't know where the shot came from. I'm sitting on the grond and they ran right at me!

I emptied the rifle, drew my 1911 and emptied it. Last shot was at less than 5 yards from the last pig as it went by. I was laying down some lead! But never hit another hog!

About few minutes my buddy comes running up to see if I'm alive!

Comment

I normally do pretty well on pigs. I learned a long time ago the sweet spot to slide that broadhead into and with a compound it was pretty much a done deal with one in range.
                Then I took up this obsession. Hitting a 1 inch spot on an animal is much more of a challenge and while we like to tell ourselves X size group at X yards is "good enough" to hunt that reality doesn't always float with pigs.
                I've killed a few with stick bows as well and every time I draw on one I feel pretty confident but . . . This season already I've failed miserably.
                I missed a good one outright and destroyed the arrow and broadhead on the feeder leg. Hit two more middle middle and never saw them again. Hit two high and although the arrows were bloody as all get out the pigs didn't know they were supposed to fall down and die.
                Even this weekend I hit one right in the shoulder knuckle and got no penetration. Frustration is definitely setting in.
                Then last night, a small boar who has come in twice but never offered a shot came in. Although it's low light, he's moving around like a kid needing his adderall fix and although I set up the camera I forgot to punch record, I drew, anchored and released quickly.
                Now I'm not sure if he was turning as I released or the sound of the arrow or bow caused him to react but instead of an arrow behind the shoulder he got an arrow into the front of the chest. It sliced his heart and the blood trail was heavy and short.
                A quick pic and he was skinned and stuck in the chest freezer. Hopefully it will get back to normal on the pigs soon.

Last edited by DRT; 10-24-2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I have lots of hunting stories, and some of them are pretty funny if your humor leans that way. To start, I'll tell one of the more serious ones.

Some years ago (can't remember for sure, but late 80's, or very early 90's) I was on a javalina/hog hunt down near Freer Tx.

I shot a javalina on the first day, then spent the rest of the 4 day hunt getting after the pigs.

For many years I've been after what I call a tusker with my bow, and have yet to get a good one. This trip was no exception to that curse for me.

On the evening of the 3rd day I got onto a lot of pigs in the 15 ft tall bee brush, not more than 20 yards off the sendero I was hunting on. I started to go in after them, but didn't go more than 20 ft before I realized - this is not a good idea, and returned to the sendero.

Once back to the sendero, I just listened closely to pick up on how/which direction they were moving, and if they were getting closer to the sendero path. They were, so I kept moving with them, and kept myself positioned down wind of where they were.

After about an hour they started crossing the sendero about 15 yards down wind of me. They would enter it, stop, sniff & look around, then hurry on across. Like I said, I was after a tusker, so I waited, and eventually a big one (real big one) came across. He had very long tuskes, and after killing him he weighed in at 347 lbs.

Yes, I got him, but only after a ferocious battle, that I thought "I" was going to LOSE.

I shot him right through the lungs with a 605 gr arrow tipped with a Zephyr Sasquatch broadhead from my 98# recurve. The arrow seemed to not even slow down, and zipped right through him like a hot needle through a stick of butter. The blood spray was instant, and profuse. He let out an angry sqawling growl, and jumped into the brush on the other side of the sendero.

I listened to him crashing that brush, and running through it going back to my left (down wind), until he emerged again about 30 yards, and yes downwind of me.

You wouldn't think they could smell you with all that blood flowing, but smell me he did, and he came charging. He probably saw me too (by that time, stand right in the middle of the sendero), but I could tell from how he acted, the he smelled me first.

The first shot from the .44 mag hit him right in the forehead. He folded up, and slid (still in my directing) for about 5 ft, but at the end of the slide was right back on his feet charging.

The second shot hit him in almost the same spot. Rinse, and repeat of the first shot, only at this time only about 15 yards from me. The third shot popped his head like hitting a watermelon with a sledge hammer, and he was done, dead, and still (after the slide) not 10 ft from my feet. Yes, I checked my drawers, and to my great relief they were clean.

My biggest boar ever, but ruined for having a tusker trophy due to having to destroy his head with the .44 mag. Oh well, it's an exciting memory I'll never forget.

Rick

Comment

There are are bunch on my Pressured Deer Are Easy To Pattern thread

Comment

No offense guys I kinda meant tell us about the events of your hunts this year. Many of us post in the trad kill log with just a pic and no tale of the trail.
                      Just hoping some would expound on those pics as to what happened. And maybe a few why it didn't happen how we hoped.

Comment

Ohhhh.... just trad stories

Comment

Working...
                        X