Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this buck qualify as having an unbranched antler???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Lots of folks missing your point and question. If that beam comes from an independent pedicle, you can tag him as unbranched and still kill your other deer. I'm ccx afraid it is fused though.

I do not think a game warden would let someone count this deer as an unbranched antler buck if they had already killed their 13” buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
      I do not think a game warden would let someone count this deer as an unbranched antler buck if they had already killed their 13” buck.

Maybe I'm just crazy or not understanding the regs correctly, but I'm thinking, per the definition in the handbook that I posted, you can tag that buck either way. He's wider than 13", but he also has an unbranched antler. Not sure how he a GW could dispute this based off the definition. Would love to have a GW clarify this.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post

I don’t see how he couldn’t! It has an unbranched antler, as long as that one in the middle does not have any point coming off of it that is 1” long! If that is a point on the right side of the spike(in the pic; left side on the deer) then that is branched.

OP, your deer is not unbranched!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by Bisch; 10-22-2021, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
          Maybe I'm just crazy or not understanding the regs correctly, but I'm thinking, per the definition in the handbook that I posted, you can tag that buck either way. He's wider than 13", but he also has an unbranched antler. Not sure how he a GW could dispute this based off the definition. Would love to have a GW clarify this.

Yea I guess the actual rule is “at least one unbranched antler”. Technically the deer I posted meets that I guess. They should probably change it to “at least one unbranched antler and at most one branched antler” to get rid of that loop hole.

Last edited by 44mAG; 10-22-2021, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Definitely sharing a common base. Cool deer. Mature as well. Good luck sir.

Comment

Comment

DP

Comment

Its irrelevant, that deer is 13" However,it sharing a base with the other antler I don't think so. Some of the resident GWs might sound off on this.

Comment

Passed the ears, good to go!

Comment

Tag that deer as a spike and get ready for a big fat ticket. Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        I don’t see how he couldn’t! It has an unbranched antler, as long as that one in the middle does not have any point coming off of it that is 1” long! If that is a point on the right side of the spike(in the pic; left side on the deer) then that is branched.

OP, your deer is not unbranched!

Bisch

Legal, I think yes. Wait until you have a unicorn deer in the 150s getting a pass, until a lease member drags it in and checks off his spike tag. Happened to me last year and the deer had lots of potential at 4yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          Lots of folks missing your point and question. If that beam comes from an independent pedicle, you can tag him as unbranched and still kill your other deer. I'm ccx afraid it is fused though.
                          I'm with GG. But not sure if it is actually a separate main beam.
                          I also think you are circumventing the intent of the rule, but it definitely needs to be re-written or clarified.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            Its irrelevant, that deer is 13" However,it sharing a base with the other antler I don't think so. Some of the resident GWs might sound off on this.
                            I don't think the resident GWs want to reveal who they are

But, I'm of the same opinion of GarGuy. I'd also shoot him as my trophy and not worry about anything else

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              I don't think the resident GWs want to reveal who they are

But, I'm of the same opinion of GarGuy. I'd also shoot him as my trophy and not worry about anything else

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Unless he has already shot a trophy. Then it makes a world of difference!

Bisch

Comment

I think y'all are reading the regs wrong.

An unbranched antler makes it a legal buck, regardless of inside spread. You are not allowed to take more than 1 deer with an inside spread over 13" in AR counties under general regs.

A legal buck deer is defined as having a hardened antler protruding through the skin AND:
                                At least one unbranched antler; or
                                An inside spread measurement between main beams of 13 inches or greater.
                                Bag limit 2 bucks: No more than 1 buck may have an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. [In other words, one may harvest 1 buck with at least 1 unbranched antler and 1 buck with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. Or, one may chose to harvest 2 bucks with at least 1 unbranched antler. BUT, one may NOT harvest 2 bucks with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater.]

Comment

Working...
                                X