Beaumont Exxon union strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
    I don’t know anything about these unions. Are some of these Union guys like the UAW Union guys? Making 175K a year in salary and benefits screwing on lug nuts 40 hours a week?
    Lot of money for 40 hours a week. Besides, if they are salary they aren’t union

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
      If the members are voting to decertify the union, why would they want to join up with another? And, isn’t it 50% +1 vote to decertify?

Think you’re correct.
      Circle back with me if it happens. I don’t believe they will decertify. Exxon and others throw a lot of false claims out there. Just like those of you on here talking about striking over wages. That’s called an economic strike and is not going on here. NOB deals with wages and benefits. This is local bargaining. So, those of you that have a friend, pepaw, uncle, read on Google, saw on tv, or any other union history buff need to get a little more educated on what you speak about.

Get back with me after hunting season when you are done spending your ppp checks you bought hunting items with. Many of us essential union folks worked right on through the worst part of the pandemic while others looked for handouts.

Comment

I'm just curious how far people's loyalty to the union goes vs providing for their family. I love my job but the whole purpose of it is to make money for my family. If the strike/lockout has been going on for 6 months and counting it seems like workers are putting the union ahead of providing for their families. Regardless of what benefits are negotiated if/when this ends, I dont see how it will make up for 6+ months of lost wages.

Comment

The problem is many places will not hire you if they know you were in the union and on strike. Maybe it's because they don't like unions. Maybe it's because they are afraid that if it gets resolved they think you will go back, so they are wasting their time/money hiring you The option to leave and go somewhere else isn't that easy.

I worked 20 years in a union office job as an accountant. I feel for the people who are trying to provide for their families and are hard workers, but are tired up in the middle of this. Every three years I held my breath until the contract was signed.

I watched some good workers leave just because they didn't have seniority and I saw a lot of waste in the system, but I also saw a lot of people trying to get a little cut off the action instead of it all going to execs bonuses. I see good and bad in the union.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            Circle back with me if it happens. I don’t believe they will decertify. Exxon and others throw a lot of false claims out there. Just like those of you on here talking about striking over wages. That’s called an economic strike and is not going on here. NOB deals with wages and benefits. This is local bargaining. So, those of you that have a friend, pepaw, uncle, read on Google, saw on tv, or any other union history buff need to get a little more educated on what you speak about.

Get back with me after hunting season when you are done spending your ppp checks you bought hunting items with. Many of us essential union folks worked right on through the worst part of the pandemic while others looked for handouts.
            Ohhh, so you’ve been directly involved in the negotiations? If so, please inform the masses with the facts. If not, where are you getting your ‘facts’? Google?

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
              That's an easy argument of an uninformed public. Most of the benefits you enjoy at work now, were gained from the past struggles of union labor. Don't ever think that a company (or government) will put your safety and best interests before profits from the goodness of their heart. The second you give up benefits or freedom, its gone forever. Look at how many companies have gutted their pensions and have contracted & outsourced half of their workforce.

I'm not union now, but during the 2015 National Oil Strike, I was outside the fence at Shell Deer Park for 58 days and friends at the Marathon refinery in Texas City were "locked out" for 5 months. So yes I do support Union Labor. When we finally went back to work, the scabs would file HR claims for "workplace harassment" at the drop of a hat. I sat my hardhat (with union stickers on it) on a desk near a female operator and she claimed it was harassment... even though they could and would brag to us about how much money they made while we were gone.
              It's an easy (and constant) argument from pro-union folks to call the public "uninformed". It's a crutch, and a justification...this aint rocket science, and it's not hard to see through.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                It's an easy (and constant) argument from pro-union folks to call the public "uninformed". It's a crutch, and a justification...this aint rocket science, and it's not hard to see through.
                Right on cue. 3,2,1....... It is rocket science for many of you.

Just like the anti-union folks lumping all unions into the same pile.
                People on here are constantly comparing apples to oranges.

Funny how anti vac most of you are. But, the only facilities I see putting up any kind of fight are the union facilities. They may not win. But, at least they are challenging the mandate. How about all of you non union folks? Anyone backing your efforts? We can do this all day long. You hate all unions. Ok. I don't. Ok.

I think workers deserve fair pay, benefits, and safe working conditions.
                You don't think unions should protect employees rights and protect jobs. I do.

You won't change and neither will I. But, in 5 years I will be living on much more than social security. Why? Because I work for a union represented company. And, the union members today and before me fought like h ell to make sure we had that option!

Comment

Ohhh, so you’ve been directly involved in the negotiations? If so, please inform the masses with the facts. If not, where are you getting your ‘facts’? Google?
                  I have been directly involved in many negotiations. As recent as a few weeks ago. If you want facts. Start paying dues. I will educate you to the fullest extent.

Am I involved in EM's? No. But, I am in regular contact with someone that is.

I am part of the same union. USW.

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
                    I'm just curious how far people's loyalty to the union goes vs providing for their family. I love my job but the whole purpose of it is to make money for my family. If the strike/lockout has been going on for 6 months and counting it seems like workers are putting the union ahead of providing for their families. Regardless of what benefits are negotiated if/when this ends, I dont see how it will make up for 6+ months of lost wages.

A lockout is a work stoppage or denial of employment initiated by the management of a company during a labor dispute. Lockouts are usually implemented by simply refusing to admit employees onto company premises.

"Thee is no going back to work if you are locked out"

Even employees that refused to join the union are locked out. Therefore, the rats aren't allowed to get their cheese.

Comment

I have been directly involved in many negotiations. As recent as a few weeks ago. If you want facts. Start paying dues. I will educate you to the fullest extent.

Am I involved in EM's? No. But, I am in regular contact with someone that is.

I am part of the same union. USW.
                      Just so I’m getting this right…..your ‘facts’ on this specific negotiation are mainly assumptions based on your past experiences and hearsay from someone in the negotiations.

Comment

BAYOU do you think those of us who are non union won't enjoy the same retirement? I have 401k pension 250 a month health insurance retiree health insurance etc..
                        I've seen both sides worked usw for 7 or 8 years . It's not for me.. I don't need to pay 150 bucks a month for someone to "represent " me.. I've seen way too many lazy people keep their job that should have been fired years ago. There is zero work ethic in the older operators at my plant.. Best thing I did was cross the fence. Got a 23k dollar raise last year too.. how's that 3 percent working out with Daddy Bidens inflation.. USW Backed Biden and that was the final straw for me..

Comment

Just so I’m getting this right…..your ‘facts’ on this specific negotiation are mainly assumptions based on your past experiences and hearsay from someone in the negotiations.
                          No. You are not getting "this right".

Comment

No. You are not getting "this right".
                            What’d I get wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                              BAYOU do you think those of us who are non union won't enjoy the same retirement? I have 401k pension 250 a month health insurance retiree health insurance etc..
                              I've seen both sides worked usw for 7 or 8 years . It's not for me.. I don't need to pay 150 bucks a month for someone to "represent " me.. I've seen way too many lazy people keep their job that should have been fired years ago. There is zero work ethic in the older operators at my plant.. Best thing I did was cross the fence. Got a 23k dollar raise last year too.. how's that 3 percent working out with Daddy Bidens inflation.. USW Backed Biden and that was the final straw for me..
                              Couldn't tell you about the 3%. I got 4%.
                              Plus a bonus.
                              And, at our site I have everything you have and more. I guess what you are saying is the only lazy people are union hourly. No salary or contract folks are lazy?

If you like being salary that's good. It's probably what you wanted all along.
                              You sure did not mind the union scale and benefits when you hired in or you would have gone to a non represented site.

Most of the salary folks I know understand the more we make the more they make. The company has to keep their scale a bit higher than ours in order for people to take salary jobs. Especially foremen positions.

Even mgt. has admitted this to me.

Comment

What’d I get wrong?
                                Why are you so interested? Would you like a union membership signup card? I have a desk full. Be glad to mail you one.

What's talked about amongst union leadership certainly should not and will not be spread on a message board amongst fine folks like yourself. Get a longer shovel. You need to dig a lot deeper.
                                Last edited by Bayouboy; 10-22-2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X