No announcement yet.

Weld Up or Bolt Up Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the pro's. Iff'n I buy a bolt up kit for a 30x40. When I am lining up the beams and for "whatever" reason the holes don't line up, can I weld those beams together? I would think I could, but never built a shop before.

Comment

Glad I found this thread. I'm going to be in the market for a new shop soon. Thinking 30x40 or maybe bigger (30x50, 40x40, 40x50). I've gotten a couple quotes and the Mueller bolt up building cost more for just the metal than the entire welded building turn key including slab!

I'm still considering doing it myself as well. I can weld, and have all ther necessary tools, would just need somebody to do thr dirt work and slab for me, as I'm not a foundation guy at all. I'm thinking 6" I beam for the columns and roof structure, a bunch of perlins and a 26ga skin. Then have it spray foam insulated and add a mini- split AC.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
        Glad I found this thread. I'm going to be in the market for a new shop soon. Thinking 30x40 or maybe bigger (30x50, 40x40, 40x50). I've gotten a couple quotes and the Mueller bolt up building cost more for just the metal than the entire welded building turn key including slab!

I'm still considering doing it myself as well. I can weld, and have all ther necessary tools, would just need somebody to do thr dirt work and slab for me, as I'm not a foundation guy at all. I'm thinking 6" I beam for the columns and roof structure, a bunch of perlins and a 26ga skin. Then have it spray foam insulated and add a mini- split AC.

Your comments show why yo should go with a bolt up unless you know someone in the business. You're thinking 6" but you would be wrong, way, way wrong. 30' span would take a 12"x 19# beam for the center support. If you decide to go weld up then PM me and I'll give you my # and I'll walk you through what ever you need so you get a quality building.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
          Question for the pro's. Iff'n I buy a bolt up kit for a 30x40. When I am lining up the beams and for "whatever" reason the holes don't line up, can I weld those beams together? I would think I could, but never built a shop before.
          The holes will line up fine and if they don't then it won't be by much and you can trim it with a torch. I found very few that didn't line up in 40 years of building them.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
            Your comments show why yo should go with a bolt up unless you know someone in the business. You're thinking 6" but you would be wrong, way, way wrong. 30' span would take a 12"x 19# beam for the center support. If you decide to go weld up then PM me and I'll give you my # and I'll walk you through what ever you need so you get a quality building.
            Hey I appreciate it! That's one area where I was unsure, and would have definitely consulted with more knowledgeable folks on sizes of material before starting, that was just a swag, and obviously way off. My actual plan was to go to the local steel supplier and tell them what I'm building and go off their suggestions.

Again, the bolt up building quoted was going to cost more for JUST THE METAL, no flat work, no erection, just material, than I was quoted for a turn key building including all flat work!

It should be a very simple, rectangular building with a roll up door on each end and a 36" man door on one end. I'm needing to get all my gun shop machinery into one building and organized better with space for storage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
              Who’d you use to erect?
              I’m getting ready to do one in Pottsboro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Jesus Romo does pretty much every job around Collinsville

Comment

my nephew said the Rhino bolt ups were much better than Mueller said not nearly as bad about things not lining up.

Comment

Anyone have an recommendations for a a Barndo builder around Menard?

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                    what is a ballpark cost of a 60x40 with awnings like the OP mentioned?
                    Turn Key is around 110,000.00. Concrete is stupid high right now and so is metal unfortunately.

Comment

No dog in this fight, but do yourselves a favor and go with a conventional type garage door instead of the roll up type. It will work fine for awhile then it gets hard to roll up or pull down. I just had mine replaced with a good garage type door. No more shoving and pulling, just punch in a code or push the remote on my sun visor. At my age pulling and pushing ain’t as much fun as it used to be.

Comment

You know whats stronger than a bolt or weld? Welded bolts

Comment

I’m needing another smaller barn (24x30) and decided I’d try the bolt up kit from Mueller. Called today and salesman told me that they were supposed to be quoting 8 weeks for a standard kit building. Then he told me reality was that it would likely be AT LEAST double that. So minimum 4 month wait……for a standard kit (nothing custom). I understand some of the supply chain issues going on but dang……

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            No dog in this fight, but do yourselves a favor and go with a conventional type garage door instead of the roll up type. It will work fine for awhile then it gets hard to roll up or pull down. I just had mine replaced with a good garage type door. No more shoving and pulling, just punch in a code or push the remote on my sun visor. At my age pulling and pushing ain’t as much fun as it used to be.

Installation error. I have 7 roll ups cumulative and none have been problematic over last 10-15 years unless run into with forklift….

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                              I’m needing another smaller barn (24x30) and decided I’d try the bolt up kit from Mueller. Called today and salesman told me that they were supposed to be quoting 8 weeks for a standard kit building. Then he told me reality was that it would likely be AT LEAST double that. So minimum 4 month wait……for a standard kit (nothing custom). I understand some of the supply chain issues going on but dang……
                              If it's a bolt up then check their standard sizes of buildings. That is always the fastest to get. Also check Metal Mart. Almost identical to Mueller and usually a little cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                                If it's a bolt up then check their standard sizes of buildings. That is always the fastest to get. Also check Metal Mart. Almost identical to Mueller and usually a little cheaper.

Yeah that was their time frame on one of their standard sizes.

I’ll check metal mart as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X