No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hide was required until last year due to covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
      I shot a small nilgai calf last year and I skinned it in the field and nobody told us anything. I even asked and they said it was okay.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Kinda off topic, but how’d that taste? Much meat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
        Kinda off topic, but how’d that taste? Much meat?

It is one of the best tasting red meats I have ever had. No gamey taste and very tender. For meat purposes I would rather harverst 5 of these than 1 giant bull.

Comment

Is it time to go on this hunt yet....

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
            Is it time to go on this hunt yet....

Can be... do ya feel lucky

Comment

It is one of the best tasting red meats I have ever had. No gamey taste and very tender. For meat purposes I would rather harverst 5 of these than 1 giant bull.

Your Nilgail mounted on that bike reminds me of the Jaguar hood ornament.

Comment

Lol, harvest a calf? I seriously disagree and I certainly wouldn't post it online, but thats just me. Teach their own.

I have harvested mature bulls and mature cows and we can't taste the difference.

Comment

You joking, right? You know Huntindad and ribbing him, right? You know why they let hunters hunt there, right?

Comment

Now I'm screwin' up.... I meant RGV Hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
                      Lol, harvest a calf? I seriously disagree and I certainly wouldn't post it online, but thats just me. Teach their own.

I have harvested mature bulls and mature cows and we can't taste the difference.
                      If we don't kill the nilgai the govt. will hire companies like "Broken Arrow" and shoot them from the air using a helicopter. They will shoot every nilgai in sight. Nilgai is considered a non native species on public land and the federal govt has been attempting exterminate them from the refuge for years. You can let the the calves pass and I will shoot them all day long. I can haul them out by myself. Besides I see nigai in my neigborhood all the time. Sometimes local will offer me some. I am not too worried about it. Even nilgai road kill is good! This one was about five minutes from my house. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200112_081226.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	24665237

Comment

I think it’s more of an ethical thing for me on not wanting to harvest a calf. Invasive species or not I couldn’t bring myself to take one.

Comment

I think it’s more of an ethical thing for me on not wanting to harvest a calf. Invasive species or not I couldn’t bring myself to take one.

As far as nilgai go on the refuge if we don't do it the govt. will do it.

Comment

As far as nilgai go on the refuge if we don't do it the govt. will do it.

Think what you want but I disagree, the amount of money they obtain from these draw hunts will detour them from doing so. Unit 4 is the only unit they do the heli hunts in as far as I know due to the location and lack of access to hunters.

Comment

Think what you want but I disagree, the amount of money they obtain from these draw hunts will detour them from doing so. Unit 4 is the only unit they do the heli hunts in as far as I know due to the location and lack of access to hunters.

Actually, RGV Hunter is 100% correct on this issue. Unit 4 is not the only Unit they are doing heli hunts on. They have been conducting heli hunts as far south as Bahia Grande Unit. The draw hunts are simply not as effective as heli hunts as per comments from refuge officials. Bottom line, they do not want anything other than native wildlife on the refuge which is a losing battle for them as the refuge is surrounded by private land that does not take the same position as the US government. The El Sauz ranch, borders unit 4 to the north, is over 50,000 acres of prime breading ground for nilgai and its hunters are limited to a strict quota. The same for Stormy Stone's land that is just west of Unit 4 and the Funk properties. Animals wondering into Unit 4 only have to cross the arroyo and into Units 3 & 5 and they do so often.
                              Bottom line, it's a "take what you can get" situation because the helicopter shooters are very effective. I doubt they would shoot a calf but they would whack the mother as soon as she offered a clear shot and leave the calf (calves: nilgai typically drop twins) on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
                                Actually, RGV Hunter is 100% correct on this issue. Unit 4 is not the only Unit they are doing heli hunts on. They have been conducting heli hunts as far south as Bahia Grande Unit. The draw hunts are simply not as effective as heli hunts as per comments from refuge officials. Bottom line, they do not want anything other than native wildlife on the refuge which is a losing battle for them as the refuge is surrounded by private land that does not take the same position as the US government. The El Sauz ranch, borders unit 4 to the north, is over 50,000 acres of prime breading ground for nilgai and its hunters are limited to a strict quota. The same for Stormy Stone's land that is just west of Unit 4 and the Funk properties. Animals wondering into Unit 4 only have to cross the arroyo and into Units 3 & 5 and they do so often.
                                Bottom line, it's a "take what you can get" situation because the helicopter shooters are very effective. I doubt they would shoot a calf but they would whack the mother as soon as she offered a clear shot and leave the calf (calves: nilgai typically drop twins) on their own.

I am talking about on the Laguna Atascosa particularly and not other refuges. Well of course the draw hunts aren’t as effective. I’ve been involved in the heli hunts and know exactly what they are capable of.

Bottom line it’s an ethics thing for me and I’m not going to steer away from that. I had the opportunity last year to harvest two calves but I passed due to there is nothing I would gain from doing so. They are easy pickings and that’s why some “hunters” are attracted to them.

Comment

Working...
                                X