Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
    Right -- I didn't mean actually hunting in water, but even crossing shin-deep water at LANWR isn't the brightest idea I've ever had. That being said, if there's as much standing shallow water as I expect we'll be seeing, there's a decent chance that any actually shot animal will head into the water to die -- it wouldn't be the first time that's ever happened. And then the lucky hunter will be hauling the beast out of the water. I'm throwing the waders and a bunch of rope into back of the truck for just such an emergency.

I also have a few spots I'll head to, in order of preference and hope that they won't be Hunter Central Station. And yes, the beasts will be anywhere in the tall grass, even within semi-competent shooting range, and we'll probably never even know it.

Looking forward to the reports from this year's first group.
    I am hoping they head for the thick cover, which I hope is DRY

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
      Right -- I didn't mean actually hunting in water, but even crossing shin-deep water at LANWR isn't the brightest idea I've ever had. That being said, if there's as much standing shallow water as I expect we'll be seeing, there's a decent chance that any actually shot animal will head into the water to die -- it wouldn't be the first time that's ever happened. And then the lucky hunter will be hauling the beast out of the water. I'm throwing the waders and a bunch of rope into back of the truck for just such an emergency.

I also have a few spots I'll head to, in order of preference and hope that they won't be Hunter Central Station. And yes, the beasts will be anywhere in the tall grass, even within semi-competent shooting range, and we'll probably never even know it.

Looking forward to the reports from this year's first group.

If you do find one expired in the water, they float really well and can be drug easily (one hand) in anything above 8" of water. I have shot plenty in the flooded areas on the Yturria and the King. Full disclosure, there weren't any alligators on those ranches to contend with like there will be at LAWNR.

Comment

Interesting. I didn't know they floated that well and could be drug that easily. Anyone that has to do that...post up the pictures/writeup on the process.

Comment

That's it !!!! I'm going to hunt around the big laguna, kill one, get it in the water and pull it around towards the truck... then haul it out. Will need rocks / sticks to fend off gators.

Comment

So i got a perfect kayak for this; paddle, pole, stand and all day seating comfy!!! LoL I wish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
              If you do find one expired in the water, they float really well and can be drug easily (one hand) in anything above 8" of water. I have shot plenty in the flooded areas on the Yturria and the King. Full disclosure, there weren't any alligators on those ranches to contend with like there will be at LAWNR.
              I once arrowed a big buck that went up on a ledge over a shallow river and stumbled and fell off the ledge as it expired. I found it right along the vertical cliff wall, waded to it, and then floated it downstream to a place where me and a buddy used block and tackle secured to a tree trunk to hoist the thing up a steep bank and out of the water. But the buck did float.

I also hunted up at Alazan Bayou WMA near Nacogdoches and some of the units are mostly water and little dry islands. I noticed a guy way the f#(k out in the water, and then watched him float a big doe from one of the islands to terra firma where I was -- about 200 yards through thigh-deep water that I figured was definitely full of snakes and gators. The guy made it just fine, though he was pretty exhausted for a few minutes; the doe was still dead. Big dead animals float.

Comment

If'n I can get to my spot, I should be in good shape s it means the trails should shrink in my favor(distance wise).

We are all talking crap now anyways... Your spot will be either dry or underwater...improvise and help your fellow hunter if they need help. I'll have a homemade wagon/trailer Will take 2 trips for a big bull. My buddy shot one last rifle hunt.

It's ALL good folks. For you rifle hunters...whatch you azz up in 8. those folks get nuts, Blinds in the mddle of roads. Mostly north end

Ribcage, I'll send ya some info after my hunt. I think it would fit well for your situation.(get a small tripod)

Comment

Thanks Huntindad, that would be extremely appreciated. Yeah, I'm not much for crowds or wearing orange, but might consider an orange unitard.... wait, that might get me shot on sight. My buddy and I are trying to come up with some design or redneck plan for a three or four wheel push/pull cart, with big solid wheels.

Comment

Laguna Atascosa 2021

So in the video at 06:04 says may “quarter game”.

Laguna Atascosa NWR: Firearm Drawn Hunt Orientation - YouTube. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p22PP-xC4a8"]Laguna Atascosa NWR: Firearm Drawn Hunt Orientation - YouTube[/ame]

The brochure advises “Hunters must take with them all skins and carcasses removed from hunt unit.”

Does anyone have first hand experience with this?

I sure hope we can just quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
                      So in the video at 06:04 says may “quarter game”.

Laguna Atascosa NWR: Firearm Drawn Hunt Orientation - YouTube. Laguna Atascosa NWR: Firearm Drawn Hunt Orientation - YouTube

The brochure advises “Hunters must take with them all skins and carcasses removed from hunt unit.”

Does anyone have first hand experience with this?

I sure hope we can just quarter.

There is a story here and I think I might be the one to blame on that but the answer is you have to bring the hide of all deer and nilgai back to the check station for tick inspection. If you want the hide back, you have to wait something like 24 to 48 hours after they stick the hide in one of their freezers. I am pretty sure it's a job security thing. Apparently this species of tick is extremely selective on it's host and only gets on cattle, deer, and nilgai. It does not agree with hogs, coyotes, racoons, possums, rats, mice, etc. <-Insert eye roll emoji here. Also the quarantine zone ends at the southern most ranch that had enough money, influence, and lawyers to make the federal government stop in their tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
                        There is a story here and I think I might be the one to blame on that but the answer is you have to bring the hide of all deer and nilgai back to the check station for tick inspection. If you want the hide back, you have to wait something like 24 to 48 hours after they stick the hide in one of their freezers. I am pretty sure it's a job security thing. Apparently this species of tick is extremely selective on it's host and only gets on cattle, deer, and nilgai. It does not agree with hogs, coyotes, racoons, possums, rats, mice, etc. <-Insert eye roll emoji here. Also the quarantine zone ends at the southern most ranch that had enough money, influence, and lawyers to make the federal government stop in their tracks.
                        No, you only have to bring the hide to the check station if you bring it out of the refuge. You can skin and quarter it and leave it behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                          No, you only have to bring the hide to the check station if you bring it out of the refuge. You can skin and quarter it and leave it behind.
                          That's what I understood too but they gave me a ration of you know what for not bringing the hide of the last bull I shot out. The following year, of my last hunt there, a buddy of mine was drawn and told me that hides have to come out. Definitely something to clarify with an official prior to the hunt. I want to cut out as much weight as possible.

Comment

Last year my buddy shot a bull & there was no questions about where the hide was.

hopefully, all questions being raised, will be answered in the upcoming video.

Comment

I shot a small nilgai calf last year and I skinned it in the field and nobody told us anything. I even asked and they said it was okay.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I think they scrapped the "bring your hides to us" thing due to Covid -- they don't want us coming anywhere near them at the check station. Now you can just check in your kill on your way out at the gate by scanning the QR code, I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X