Scope Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope Power

I would like to shoot animals (hogs) out to 800 yards. What is the lowest power you would recommend for shooting at this distance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extremely subjective question.

I’ve seen guys shoot on 4-6x that far and others want 24x+.

More about the reticle and turret choice and quality glass. Everyone’s eyes and capabilities are different.

I prefer to run a 3-18 or 5-25 and find myself shooting in that 14-18x range at further distances. I dial elevation and hold wind.

Comment

Probably 8x as a general ballpark, but the low power isn’t as big of an issue as too high of magnification in my opinion. I run scopes that tend to go up to 24-25 power Nd the vast majority of times they are ran between 10-16 power.

Too much magnification lends to issues with finding the target, engaging multiple targets and all tied to that target acquisition idea is also seeing your impacts.

Comment

To find the animals and make the shots at that distance, I would run the scope around 12x.

To identify specific animals at that distance, I would run the scope at 20x+.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Both of my long range setups are 3-18 and 5-25, with the higher mag setup ready to shoot steel to a mile. My longest kill was right at 500 yards on an elk with the 3-18 setup, and I had it maxed out. If I was shooting at an animal at 800 I’d prefer the 25x if possible, but as mentioned above it’s all subjective and personal preference.

Comment

18x or more with parallax adjustment for my old eyes.
            I shoot steel at 850 on 20x just fine with the Sig Whiskey 5 and Strike Eagle.

Comment

Working...
            X