First time CPAP user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time CPAP user

Tried out a CPAP last night and I’m not sure about that thing. I cannot figure out how I’m supposed to breathe using it.
    It’s a new design that fits over your nostrils and I’m typically a nose breather (in/out) and it’s tough to exhale with the air blowing up my nose.
    If I exhale through my mouth, I end up with dry mouth and it’s noisy as heck.
    I was really hopeful that this thing would help, but I’m not so sure now…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try to use it while watching TV or reading at first and slowly you will get used to using it. I had to learn to keep my mouth shut while wearing it at night. It may seem difficult at first but it will pay huge dividends, I had no idea how poorly I was sleeping until I got my CPAP. No more headaches and groggy feeling when I wake up in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by rjs68 View Post
      Try to use it while watching TV or reading at first and slowly you will get used to using it. I had to learn to keep my mouth shut while wearing it at night. It may seem difficult at first but it will pay huge dividends, I had no idea how poorly I was sleeping until I got my CPAP. No more headaches and groggy feeling when I wake up in the morning.

Good suggestion. Thanks

Comment

I ware the 1/2 mask with no problems sleeping. I don't know if I could wear the ones that just stick up your noise.

You know why women can't use a cpac?. They can't keep their mouths shut.

Comment

I tried 2 or 3 different masks. I finally settled on a Dream Wear under the nose and found it works best for me. I'm 13 months in and sleeping much better. The snoring has stopped.

Comment

Not gonna be comfortable or used to it at all after 1 night. Just give it time.

It's a huge change that will be very well worth it once you adjust to it.

Comment

Make yourself wear it. I'm 2.5 years into mine. I have to wear a full face mask because my nose stops up every night. Get use to it and you will feel so much better. Might even extend your life.

Comment

Give it time, once you get used to it, will be your best friend.

Comment

You must breathe through your nose for it to work. I have used one for 20 years and want even take a nap without it. If you breathe through your mouth you will get a dry sore throat. Prop your head up more to keep your mouth shut. After a while you will grab it every time you lay down.

Comment

It just takes time. If it has a setting to start with low pressure and gradually increase that might help.

Comment

Get with your CPAP supplier or sleep doctor and tell them the problem. I had that problem years ago and would not use one until they had a way to drop the pressure for exhaling. Most new machines should have some kind of programming that will allow for the exhaling.
                      And it will take time to get used to it.
                      For a long time I would swallow a lot of air, you know what that causes... anyway, someone finally told me how to prevent it and don't have any problems anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                        Tried out a CPAP last night and I’m not sure about that thing. I cannot figure out how I’m supposed to breathe using it.
                        It’s a new design that fits over your nostrils and I’m typically a nose breather (in/out) and it’s tough to exhale with the air blowing up my nose.
                        If I exhale through my mouth, I end up with dry mouth and it’s noisy as heck.
                        I was really hopeful that this thing would help, but I’m not so sure now…

I have the one that covers your nose and mouth. Works really good once you get the fit rights. I sleep lights out with that thing!

Comment

As other have said, it takes time to get use to it. This isn't like getting a new pair of sun glasses or shoes, this is something that you have never worn in your life. Some people struggles 2-3 weeks and other 2-3 months. I fell into the latter group and at times I thought I would never get used to it. Don't give up. It will add years to your life.

Comment

I’ve had chronic sinus problems all my life. Consequently, I’m a mouth breather and hate it. I wake up feeling like the 3rd Marine Division marched through my mouth. Wife told me I have sleep apnea. No matter what I’ve tried I can’t learn to sleep with my mouth closed. Suxx.

Comment

Does everyone get a CPAP through a doctor? Or can just anyone go buy one?

Comment

Working...
                              X