220 swift for deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RUNNING BEAR
    Love these link comments. DFWPI in another tread was very correct with his comment.Truth be known, some people should be shooting a cannon, because they can't shoot for crap. But, I have no problem with a .224 caliber for a skilled person at a reasonable distance.

In that link caliber discussions ranged from .17 thru .308 and larger however, again I will suggest. If anyone fails to practice-practice-practice how will they ever expect to make successful shots reguardless of the bullet size. One needs to understand 50gr psp going 3000fps will generally kill anything walking in the state of Texas. But it will not if the rifle is not sghted in or the bullet is not placed correctly

If for some reason you disagree with these simple statements please explain.

Comment

Originally posted by MLAH View Post
      RUNNING BEAR
      Love these link comments. DFWPI in another tread was very correct with his comment.Truth be known, some people should be shooting a cannon, because they can't shoot for crap. But, I have no problem with a .224 caliber for a skilled person at a reasonable distance.

In that link caliber discussions ranged from .17 thru .308 and larger however, again I will suggest. If anyone fails to practice-practice-practice how will they ever expect to make successful shots reguardless of the bullet size. One needs to understand 50gr psp going 3000fps will generally kill anything walking in the state of Texas. But it will not if the rifle is not sghted in or the bullet is not placed correctly

If for some reason you disagree with these simple statements please explain.
      I’m confused. Where did I ever say that bad shots are OK? I’ve said don’t ask the weapon to do more than it’s meant to, like take too far of shots or compensate for bad shots. Not sure why DFWPI kept going back to that well and you are referencing it now. DFWPI just kept going in circles about his time back in the day of being an instructor and being being shot and stabbed and just started making no sense.

Did you not read my last sentence of my last post? IM PRO SMALL CALIBER RIFLE!

If for some reason you can’t understand that I’m sorry, I can’t make that any more clear. Try going back and reading my posts again, but slower

Comment

I used one years ago for deer and hogs. . Deadly and fun to shoot. My Ruger 77V was a heavy rascal, but accurate

At close range I lung shot a huge sow once. Tiny bullet zipped Right thru and she ran only a short distance. That surprised me.

Have a friend did a lot of doe culling with one. He is an excellent shot and had complete confidence and ability to place his shots.

Comment

I’ve killed plenty of deer with a Swift. Mostly head shots but also shots behind the shoulder. Haven’t lost any.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
            Velocity has some something to do with it. All 4 of my swifts will shoot under moa at 200 with a 60 partition. Run them harder, they’ll shoot.

Velocity contributes very little to stability.

220 Swift calculation using 60 grain Partition @ 3850 with a 14 twist.

Hypothetical 22-250 using same parameters but 350fps slower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

put me in the deer are easy to kill group.

when i had my farm i used a .22 LR suppressed to follow up wounded ( some not hurt very much) axis, sika and fallows. I would ease along behind my dog and when the deer stood up I would pop it in the lungs and just set down for a few minutes. i can’t remember having to shoot one twice. nothing can live without lungs.

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
                There have been a couple of threads about lower caliber rifles lately with mixed opinions. Fair enough. What I don’t understand is that surely these low caliber rifles are more lethal than a bow and arrow, at least I assume. So for those who say they have had bad experience, is it because even though it’s low caliber, you are still treating it like a 30-06 and shoulder shooting at 200 yards, or are you really working within the rifles capability and keeping shots in the 50-80 yard range and still getting bad results?

Genuine question.
                Apologies, some of that was meant for another post, but I guess what I focused on was when you stated, and assumed, that low caliber rifles are more lethal than a bow and arrow. I will just leave that there, don't really want to get into Brand X vs. X Brand argument.

But, the part of being an instructor, yes I was in law enforcement for 30-years, and for several years the training coordinator (Sergeant in Charge) and did teach, however, not really sure on when I was shot AND stabbed. Maybe it was so long ago that I don't remember LoL, but checked my body and didn't see any scars, so not sure where that came from.

But for now, I bow out of this post and lean towards your beliefs.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Back in the "old days" plenty of deer were killed with head and neck shots with .22 long rifle, out to about 50 yards. .22 magnum would do the job out to 75 yards with shots placed right behind the shoulder....

Comment

Working...
                  X