Whole home generator warnings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole home generator warnings.

1. Do your research. This is a luxury item, not a necessity. Dont buy cheap. When you want it to work, it better work.

2. If they tell you 20kw, buy 25kw. They are notorious for selling too small of units that wont power everything.

3. Dont put all your eggs in one basket. Have a backup portable unit. I know several who have a generator and have never had an issue, and become totally reliant on it. They work until they dont, and you are then caught with your pants down. Imagine 2 days, no nothing, and it is 12 degrees outside, and you didnt prep anything because your 100kw generator that has always worked was going to be there for you....and its not.

What I have learned from this storm is to not be solely dependent on any one item. Have multiple sources of power, fuel, or whatever else it is. Dont get too comfortable with one thing. Dont abandon your house in the cold as it is much worse than the heat. In the summer time, I would leave during a hurricane because I figured I cant control much and all I lose is my food. In the winter, fight like heck to keep everything from freezing and busting and you are good.

I got lucky and doomsday prepped during for your new presidents inauguration and had what I needed to keep going during this storm. I'll buy a few more small items, but I like being diversified. Solar, 2 small generators, propane, natural gas, etc...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yep. I had 5 different plans in case something in another plan failed. Guess what? We made it to plan #5.

Read Extreme Ownership. It lays out pretty well how to prepare for everything. I hope Greg Abbott reads this book. Never seen a politician caught so far on his heels ever before.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
      1. Do your research. This is a luxury item, not a necessity. Dont buy cheap. When you want it to work, it better work.

2. If they tell you 20kw, buy 25kw. They are notorious for selling too small of units that wont power everything.

3. Dont put all your eggs in one basket. Have a backup portable unit. I know several who have a generator and have never had an issue, and become totally reliant on it. They work until they dont, and you are then caught with your pants down. Imagine 2 days, no nothing, and it is 12 degrees outside, and you didnt prep anything because your 100kw generator that has always worked was going to be there for you....and its not.

What I have learned from this storm is to not be solely dependent on any one item. Have multiple sources of power, fuel, or whatever else it is. Dont get too comfortable with one thing. Dont abandon your house in the cold as it is much worse than the heat. In the summer time, I would leave during a hurricane because I figured I cant control much and all I lose is my food. In the winter, fight like heck to keep everything from freezing and busting and you are good.

I got lucky and doomsday prepped during for your new presidents inauguration and had what I needed to keep going during this storm. I'll buy a few more small items, but I like being diversified. Solar, 2 small generators, propane, natural gas, etc...

And lots of wood
      It’s best to have a wood burner stove on hand and lots of wood!

Comment

You ain’t wrong. That goes for anything though, and not just generators.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
          You ain’t wrong. That goes for anything though, and not just generators.
          Amen...be prepared in life IN GENERAL. For the most part, my main goal is to never EVER be dependent on others.

Comment

I don't know about down there but up here most propane generators are set up to kick on every once in a while automatically for test runs. Staining a log house up here that had one and it would kick on about once a week or so and run just a bit.
            The huge backups at UW also kick on every so often to make sure they are ready when needed, they are diesel powered mostly.

Generac is the preferred brand up here for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
              And lots of wood

This right here, when all else fails, fire is the fall back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm looking real hard at them now. My company is a generac dealer so I can get one at 6% above cost. I've been looking at the 22kw whole home guardian and running off of a propane tank. Anyone with experience with generac?

Comment

They are notorious for selling too small of units that wont power everything.
                  Why would they intentionally sell you a cheaper unit?

Comment

Nope but our quote for the exact one your talking about came to $11,000.00. Oops didn’t answer your question. We had a Generac on our home in the Wet Mountains outside ofFlorence Colorado. Worked perfectly t when we needed it. You can also get monitoring where it sends alerts to the company if it detects a potential problem.
                    Last edited by Hogmauler; 02-19-2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I had prepped some things, and not others. I've already made a list. I've been wanting a generator for quite some time but can't bring myself to put all my eggs in one basket. I'll probably end up getting a pair of the new 4500w inverter generators from champion that they are releasing this march. They can be bridged. Focus is on heat, water, food, refrigerator, A/C, minimal lighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                        This right here, when all else fails, fire is the fall back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
                        And lots of wood

Yep, a good wood burner is about as reliable/dependable as you can ask for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'll just move to Key West. Tapping out.

Comment

The best reason to over size is to allow the generator not to run full throttle all the time. It burns less fuel when it is running lower RPMs. When you oversize you allow it to "idle" when AC, heater, all the bigger items aren't running. The more it idle the better burn rate you have.

Comment

Just roll with Uncle Ted to Cancun and it will all be fine lol

Comment

Working...
                              X