Have we priced ourselves out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have we priced ourselves out?

Just a thought this morning. Have we as hunters in the pursuit of that perfect 200” deer priced ourselves out of a tradition? Some of my fondest memories growing up were made at the deer lease with my dad and grandfather. Now days the common working man can’t hardly find the way to pay for a decent lease. Not to mention all the non kid friendly leases just because some hunters take the trophy buck hanging on the wall to seriously to take out the time to teach a kid to hunt. I’m to the point in my life to where it brings me greater joy to see a kid take his first deer than any trophy on my wall. On this note I am in search of a reasonably priced kid friendly lease to be able to pass on this tradition I grew up with on to my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of kid/family friendly leases. Reminds me of the phrase, home is where you make it. Same applies to a deer lease, it is what you make it. You just need to be in with like minded people. If everyone is one the same page about what the purpose of the lease is then it is a great experience. If not, drama will be ongoing. There is a place for everyone, you just have to find it.

Comment

I don't like the idea of not allowing kids at all. However, I can get behind the idea of not allowing guests period for opening weekend and maybe one other weekend during the season.

Good luck in your search!

Comment

In GA the vast majority of leases are family friendly.

You have 10 paid members on 1500 acres and then 25 wives and kids blasting anything that moves.

That is why I would rather be on a lease where every hunter has to pay their way.

I have no issue with wives and kids hunting as long as they are a paid member.

I also have no issue if folks want to have family leases and let everyone hunt.

Comment

Yes the pursuit of mans ego in the form of antlers will definitely push more and more people out of hunting. Personally I started hunting public land last year and I'm still kicking myself over all the money I've spent leasing and feeding over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
            In GA the vast majority of leases are family friendly.

You have 10 paid members on 1500 acres and then 25 wives and kids blasting anything that moves.

That is why I would rather be on a lease where every hunter has to pay their way.

I have no issue with wives and kids hunting as long as they are a paid member.

I also have no issue if folks want to have family leases and let everyone hunt.

A lot of east Texas leases are that way. They call them family leases and 1 paid membership and the whole family hunts.

I hunt west Texas and my wife and kids are allowed to hunt, but they shoot off my allotment. 1 buck, 1 cull, 1 doe and spikes. Possibly 4 deer can be taken. We don’t care who kills them, but don’t kill anymore than you are allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jven View Post
              Just a thought this morning. Have we as hunters in the pursuit of that perfect 200” deer priced ourselves out of a tradition? Some of my fondest memories growing up were made at the deer lease with my dad and grandfather. Now days the common working man can’t hardly find the way to pay for a decent lease. Not to mention all the non kid friendly leases just because some hunters take the trophy buck hanging on the wall to seriously to take out the time to teach a kid to hunt. I’m to the point in my life to where it brings me greater joy to see a kid take his first deer than any trophy on my wall. On this note I am in search of a reasonably priced kid friendly lease to be able to pass on this tradition I grew up with on to my son.

Very accurate.

When I was a kid the whole family hunted, we all enjoyed it, except for maybe my little brother, he has always been afraid of everything. Being able to go out and shoot deer, with no rules or no pressure on what deer you shoot, shoot what you want. If you want to shoot big deer shoot big deer. If you want to kill something for the meat, then do so.

I have seen the prices and then the rules on so many leases, in recent years. I won't have anything to do with most of them, just because of the rules. Way too many people are willing to spend a fortune in hopes they get to shoot a big deer, so they can have pictures of themselves with that deer on the internet. That has definitely ruined the hunting in this state. What I used to know as hunting as a kid, that I loved so much, is mostly gone now days in this state. Because of greed, egos, people wanting those pictures of themselves with the big bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                Plenty of kid/family friendly leases. Reminds me of the phrase, home is where you make it. Same applies to a deer lease, it is what you make it. You just need to be in with like minded people. If everyone is one the same page about what the purpose of the lease is then it is a great experience. If not, drama will be ongoing. There is a place for everyone, you just have to find it.
                Bingo

Comment

I’m not in pursuit of a perfect 200” deer. The vast majority of hunters aren’t either. Sure if one stepped out I’d shoot it, but it ain’t happening. There’s plenty of family leases all over the State. There always will be simply because 200” deer are not behind every tree. Every hunter can hunt what they can afford in this great State. Imo it’s much easier to find a family friendly lease than it is to find a heavily managed one with trophy bucks.

Comment

I think it’s mainly Texas that’s so expensive. I have friends in other states and they crap themselves when I tell them about lease prices here in Texas. An Oklahoma lease is way cheaper and they have some solid deer, even in the east.

Comment

The key to keeping everyone in the family from shooting all the deer is quotas/allotments per membership. It’s not complicated

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        I’m not in pursuit of a perfect 200” deer. The vast majority of hunters aren’t either. Sure if one stepped out I’d shoot it, but it ain’t happening. There’s plenty of family leases all over the State. There always will be simply because 200” deer are not behind every tree. Every hunter can hunt what they can afford in this great State. Imo it’s much easier to find a family friendly lease than it is to find a heavily managed one with trophy bucks.
                        I agree with this, lots of east TX timber leases out there.

Comment

Most people want immediate gratification. They search for a lease on a hunting forum where 8,000 other guys are searching for the same thing and then get frustrated when the price is too high or the details don’t suit their desires. Go pound the pavement and put in the time and effort and you can find something for a great price and that has all you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                            I agree with this, lots of east TX timber leases out there.

I really really wish I was a little closer to E Texas. I grew up hunting country like that and it’s way more affordable than anything close to me.

Comment

I have hunted on high dollar high fences places and spent more money than I ever should have. I actually quit hunting for a few years because it wasn't fun anymore. Next year I have a place that its just gonna be me and my boys hunting it. We are going old school. No camera's, no UTV's, no fiber glass blinds, no big cabins. heck in most spots we don't even have cell signal. I am gonna show them how we did it in the 70's-90's. We have an old jeep, a travel trailer and some lock on stands. I am actually excited about it again. It might be a bust but we ae gonna have fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X