Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rule number 1 safety
    Rule number 2 know your target

You feel bad now, but if you were to have taken the shot and never recovered the buck it would have been 100x worse.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s usually when the big boy shows up !
      It’s like they know how good your scope is.
      Once again that is why you hunt the full moon.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
        Of course you did the right thing. Only an idiot would pull the trigger having guessed where the body was. Good call not being an idiot.[emoji106][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji3516][emoji3516]

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
          A VX5HD 3-15 is going to be dang near as good as it gets for low light performance.
          I can second this. I watched a young deer saturday night working around a fence line that I could barely see with my binos but had much better detail with this scope.

Comment

Of course you did the right thing. Only an idiot would pull the trigger having guessed where the body was. Good call not being an idiot.[emoji106][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

This

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              I can second this. I watched a young deer saturday night working around a fence line that I could barely see with my binos but had much better detail with this scope.
              You are probably due for new binoculars. OP you did the right thing

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                Yeah they are only 15 years old haha

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                  Nikon Action binoculars...

They are ok I guess but they too are 20 years old

Honest question ... do the lens go bad or is the technology just better today..

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                    Always been taught to take the ethical shot and I have passed that on to my son...

Last night at 5:20 the buck I have been seeing on camera for a month...

10 pt 140+ comes in from behind my feeder with a doe under there....

He won’t come up....

With my nocs I can make him out...it’s him....he is standing a foot to the right of my winch handle at 130 yds....

I can only make out his rack with my 3x9x40 Leopold....

Check again with nocs....hasn’t moved

Put my scope on him....can’t see his body....in the shadows and losing light fast

This back and forth between scope and nocs for 15 mins it seems....

Tried calling him up with doe call...didn’t work.....he drifted back into the trees

I would have been guessing where I was shooting...and educated guess but none the less....I couldn’t make him out with this pos scope.....

I didn’t squeeze the trigger....

You did the right thing. I too passed on a questionable shot on a really nice 8 point on my place.

I’d rather let them walk than wound one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes you 1000% did the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        magnification is not as important as objective and tube size plus quality of glass... We all hunted with the standard old Lupe 3-9x40 and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread... that is until we got into 30 mm and larger tubes with 50 mm objective lenses... BIG difference!!
                        Both of these^

Comment

Better to pass than to wound an animal. You did the right thing.

Comment

You for sure did the right thing ! You may have wounded him, never to be seen again. Clean miss, he is going to be even more reluctant if ever to come back in, never see him again. At least now you have a good chance he will be back and you guys will meet again. Just knowing he’s still alive and out there, has got to be a reassuring ( some thing to look forward to) feeling. My your paths cross again.

Comment

I think if you're happy with your decision then yes. I might not have the most popular opinion but I know opportunities don't present themselves every day. If it were me and I had a deer or anything for that matter in front of me that I may never get the opportunity to see again I'm taking the opportunity given. Meaning if all I can shoot is its head it's getting shot in the head. The skull plate on a buck is all you need intact right?

Comment

This seriously made me laugh. Good advice though.

Comment

Working...
                                X