No announcement yet.

Selling coon pelts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coons are extremely destructive on small game. We bought a ranch that was covered up with coons, no quail, no turkey, few rabbits, and not enough dove to hunt. After getting rid of coons and some other predators like skunks, all the small game and birds came back big time. The man running cattle on the ranch said it was too dry for turkey, but now it is covered up with turkey. Now there are bunches of blue and bobwhite quail. Nesting dove everywhere in the spring. Lots of cotton tail and jack rabbits. Coons are very destructive and will destroy all nests, on the ground or in trees. People that feed, especially year round, without controlling coons are destroying small game.

Comment

Coons ripped one of my pipe feeders off a tree and cleaned it out

When I hand corn they get first dibs and leave scraps for the deer

And since I put minnows and goldfish in my watering hole to keep skeeters out, I now have Coons scuba diving eating all my bait fish

Comment

I agree with the above 100%.

I can the ops point as well. My feeders are pretty darn coon proof and my protein is on a timer feeding day time only.

Having said that, I trap them because unchecked the population is out of control and very destructive to the general wildlife and to the farmer / rancher where I hunt. Not too many things excite that man but pics of dead coons sure will. Dead hogs are second on his list as they're only transient passers through the ranch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
          My corn isn’t deer specific. If you don’t want the coons to eat the corn, buy the bag of corn that say “Deer Corn” on them. That’s made specifically for deer and coons don’t like it.

Comment

If you feed protein (without Coonhoods) year round you can estimate each coon will cost you about $200 per year in loss protein. And that's the cheap stuff. If you feed double down or antlermax you you would be sick to know what the cost of those thieves.

Comment

When i was kid, we got decent money for coons when the fur was prime, (Dec.-Feb.), but they aren't worth much anymore, not many people hunt them, and they don't really have any natural enemies around here, so the population has exploded. I like having a few around, but we have WAY too many now. I usually shoot them on sight, and my dog has accounted for a few that wandered up to the house.

Comment

KAC. They tear stuff up, waste corn and get into my trash at night.

Comment

Coons love turkey eggs...... another reason to zip them..

Comment

I keep corn out/feeders running all year. I just consider it feeding the wildlife. My corn isn’t deer specific. If you don’t want the coons to eat the corn, buy the bag of corn that say “Deer Corn” on them. That’s made specifically for deer and coons don’t like it.
                    Come again

Comment

I keep corn out/feeders running all year. I just consider it feeding the wildlife. My corn isn’t deer specific. If you don’t want the coons to eat the corn, buy the bag of corn that say “Deer Corn” on them. That’s made specifically for deer and coons don’t like it.
                      Now that was funny!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
                        Now that was funny!!!!!!
                        I think some folks missed the humor and thought I was serious.

Comment

I heard that before so I started spending the extra dollar per bag and only buying "deer" corn but the Coons still keep coming

Comment

Skin them, sell the fur, and eat them.
                            Some good BBQ for the whole neighborhood.

Comment

I've heard alligator farms will buy them. No clue if true are not. Certainly not worth the cost of fuel living in central Tx.

Comment

Kill em All !!

Comment

Working...
                                X