Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusing Buck

Wife saw him and says he is short.

I see a mature deer that should know better to grow those horns.

Could this be a ancient member of The Hill Country - German Sheppard size deer gene? The more I look at it I think he is small..........

I hunted there 52 years ago and the deer were way smaller than a normal H/C deer these days.
    Attached Files

I see a 2.5 yo but would like a couple more pics.

Comment

I agree with your wife. He is short and i think he is young.

Comment

I think the way his front leg is tucked back is making his gut look bigger which is making him look older than he really is. Hard to tell from that one picture though.

Comment

They say there is an obesity epidemic in the young....appears he is part of it

Comment

New picture coming with a 18 month old 3 pointer for body comparison. May take a few for the High Def picture to come in........

Comment

We had an 8 point like that in the Doss area many years back. We called him the dwarf buck. He looked mature but his body was very small.

Comment

He is a baby

Comment

He looks young Juanito.

Ive heard the Ancient Texas Tribe of the Fakawee Nation would breed Fakawee deer. Looks like youve got proof on the hoof.

Comment

The place I had in Refugio for many years would have a midget buck every few years. Without exception they never hung out with other deer. You could compare pics of other deer at the feeder and see how tall they stood against the feeder legs compared to the midget deer. Their racks would look much bigger than they really were like around 20 inches bigger lol.

In the pic you posted that buck just looks young to me.

Comment

Just young I think. Winter coat is puffed up, and simply well fed.

Comment

Don’t shoot

Comment

Youngster with a full winter coat.

Comment

I didn't see it, and over 50 yrs ago, but dad told me about grandpa shooting a basket rack 8 point one year that was no bigger than a dog. Said he drug it back and threw it in the truck with one arm. That always fascinated me for some reason. I had never heard of a midget deer before

Comment

Short deer need love to

Comment

Working...
                              X