Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FLASHBACK! Every outdoor person needs to read this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLASHBACK! Every outdoor person needs to read this.

When reading Fixedblade's thread, "Y'all be careful out there", I was reminded of Hunting Consult and his wife, Sue's, horrific ordeal deep in the East Texas woods 10 years ago. I cannot imagine what they went through and thought it would be good for everyone to be reminded of how easy it is for things to go tragically wrong, and what precautionary steps we can take in case something does.

Originally posted by Hunting Consult View Post
    Here is the rest of the story. This was written by my Father from an outsiders view. It is pretty accurate except a few times. But the facts are all there.

Last Friday night my son Kevin and his wife Susan were hunting wild hogs in the East Texas Piney Woods north of Houston near Porter, TX. They had parked their pickup truck off the paved road and unloaded their 4 wheel drive “Rhino” off road vehicle and driven approximately 4 miles deep into the woods where they had previously erected a platform stand about 8 feet above the ground. They had set a digital camera up several weeks ago at the hunting site and had lots of video of wild hogs in the area. They were very hopeful of a good night of hunting.

After sitting up in the platform blind and waiting for several hours they had not seen any hogs. About 1:30 AM Susan slid her chair back and slipped between the safety railings around the platform and fell off the platform. She landed on her back and was impaled on a piece of rebar that had been driven in the ground at the base of the platform stand to stabilize it. The rebar penetrated her right shoulder slightly below the collar bone and came out of her right breast. She was also bleeding from her mouth.

Kevin began immediately to provide what care and comfort to Susan as he could and to try to get help. His cell phone would not reach anyone because of the remote area. When he climbed up on the platform he was able to get a very weak signal, enough to send Text messages. He sent a text message to his 12 year old son Tommy who was still up and awake playing video games to call 911. Tommy told his older brother Sean who immediately called 911. However, all Sean could tell the 911 operator was that they had received an emergency text message that their stepmother was badly injured somewhere on the hunting lease, they did not know either the exact location of the accident nor exactly where the hunting lease was located. They called Susan’s daughter Amy who thought she knew how to drive to the lease, but not well enough to tell the 911 operator the location. Tommy, Sean, and Amy started immediately to drive to the lease.

Kevin had continued to send emergency text messages to everyone he could think of until his battery ran down. He also shot off a gun three times every minute, a universal SOS signal in the wild. He fired off all the emergency flares he had with him and set his “Q” beam search light straight up onto the air in hopes of attracting attention.

During his frantic attempts to use the cell phone, he had unknowingly gotten a brief call off to James, a coworker who lived a few miles away and knew the geography of the hunting lease. James had still been awake and answered the phone. He could hear Kevin’s call for help but Kevin could not receive on his phone so he did not know the call had gone through.

About this time 911 began receiving multiple calls from people Kevin had been able to Text and from James. James and his wife immediately left for the hunting lease and met EMS at Kevin’s truck. The problem was that no one knew where they were on the vast hunting lease. James made a calculated guess based on discussions he had previously had with Kevin about various hunting locations. He led the EMS responders toward where he thought they were. Two ambulances and two county sheriff’s cars became stuck in the deep mud shortly after leaving the paved road.

The hunting lease manager had himself been out that night running his dogs on a hunt and heard the sirens and showed up with his 4 wheel drive pickup at the location of the stuck rescue vehicles. The EMT’s loaded their equipment into the back of the pickup and they continued on the search.

Finally, an hour and a half after the accident, rescue personnel arrived at the accident scene. During all this time Susan, in a great deal of pain and having trouble breathing because the rebar was pressing against her right lung, kept her composure and Kevin in addition to trying desperately to summon help had helped Susan as best he could by slightly lifting Susan to relieve some of the pressure so she could breath easier. Thankfully, they both knew better than to try to pull her off the rebar.

Rescue personnel immediately recognized the serious nature of the trauma injury and according to protocol launched a Life-Flight helicopter from Herman Hospital in Houston. EMT’s had to carefully lift Susan up high enough to cut the rebar under her with bolt cutters, a very painful experience for Susan. They carefully strapped her to a backboard and about the time they had her medically stable for transport, the helicopter arrived. Thankfully, they had been hunting very near the cleared area of an underground pipeline and the helicopter could land in the cleared pipeline right of way. They quickly loaded Susan onboard and began the flight back to Herman Hospital. Onboard the helicopter Susan finally received some drugs for the pain.

The lease manager drove Kevin out to the road in the 4 wheel drive pickup where he met Tommy, Sean, and Amy. They began the long drive to Herman Hospital. At this point it was about 3:15 AM. Kevin used Amy’s cell phone to call me. I immediately set out to drive to Herman Hospital in Houston, some 4 hours away.

James took over control of the accident scene and collected all of the property, guns, lights, backpacks, ammunition, hunting bows, arrows, and the 4 wheel “Rhino” and later Kevin’s pickup out at the road. He worked through the night to get all the equipment safely secured at his home.

I arrived at the hospital about 7:30 AM and met Kevin and the kids in the surgery waiting room. Susan was still in surgery and that was all they knew. Shortly thereafter they brought Susan out of surgery and put her in a hospital room. Susan was awake and very coherent. Doctors told us that they had removed the rebar without difficulty. They said that the rebar had barely missed her lung, blood vessels and nerve bundles that fed the right arm. The bleeding from her mouth was because she had severely bit her lip during the fall, not from internal injuries. She had been very lucky. Unfortunately, it was not all good news; she had broken her back in the fall. Fortunately, although one vertebra was fractured, it had not shifted and done any damage to her spinal cord, she was not paralyzed.

Susan was very stoic about the whole affair and had to lie flat on her back, unmoving and in a good deal of pain in her shoulder and back Saturday, Sunday, and most of today waiting for surgery to stabilize the fracture with stainless steel pins.

As I write this she has just returned from about six hours of surgery and is resting as comfortable as she can given the situation.

She is expected to eventually make a full recovery, but she has a long uphill climb ahead of her.

Originally posted by Hunting Consult View Post
    I am going to add two things. The Would Of-Could Of-Should Of.
    1. We should of had a middle safety rail.
    2. Should of had the rebar bent over or protected. Or used another mode to fasten blind to the ground.
    3. SHould of left the GPS location with family incase we did not return.
    4. Will Put GPS location on any blind I build. SO if someone comes accross me or Needs help themselfs, they will have the GPS location. I have the location at home on my computer. If I had it on the blind I could of texted it out to my son.
    5. I would not of used all flares at the begginning. IF the EMS had been closer and seen them it would of cut some time down.
    6. I will put a Cell phone charger in my ATV. I had the UTV but did not want to leaver her for fear she would pass out and let go of the rebar and died. I never imagined I would use up my battery that night. Trying to call 911 and to call out to help.
    7. I had a first aid kit in my UTV. But now i know i need a more advanced one. If she had bleed more I would not been able to stop it.
    8. More glow sticks and mark my trail if I go off the main road.
    9. Persnal opinion. I will not hunt alone or with out cell phone service.
    10. Tell our story so others can learn.

Kevin

Kevin has not been on here in almost 5 years. I hope he and Sue are doing well.

Comment

You can scroll to Post #125, #126 and #127 on the original thread to see pictures of the blind, the rebar and Wonder Woman, Sue.

Comment

Wow! What a scary situation! That easily could have been a lot worse, thank god it wasn’t.

Comment

Great reminder. Anything can happen, always prepare for the worst!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
            When reading Fixedblade's thread, "Y'all be careful out there", I was reminded of Hunting Consult and his wife, Sue's, horrific ordeal deep in the East Texas woods 10 years ago. I cannot imagine what they went through and thought it would be good for everyone to be reminded of how easy it is for things to go tragically wrong, and what precautionary steps we can take in case something does.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ad.php?t=94997
            Looks like there may have been a thread with the first part of the story or more on the incident??? I keep trying to click this link but no good...

Comment

I saw that also, camoclad, but I think it may have been deleted way back when. I believe that thread was the original posted by Hunting Consult. I remember when he originally posted about the incident. I was unable to find his original thread, so I assume that is the one deleted.
              Last edited by Burnadell; 11-23-2019, 06:20 PM.

Comment

It reminds me of the time Papa Smurf fell off his 8' platform. And fractured a vertebra. It don't take much to have some real damage done.

I also remember a couple stories abuot hunters who were impaled on a T-post to stake feeder legs down with. Coffee cans over the top of the legs will help prevent that should you fall while filling feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  I saw that also, camoclad, but I think it may have been deleted way back when. I believe that thread was the original posted by Hunting Consult. I remember when he originally posted about the incident. I was unable to find his original thread, so I assume that is the one deleted.
                  Got it. I've missed so much... thanks for reposting

Comment

Wow

Comment

That would be scary as hell ! We all, at least most of us, think much less about what could happen than we should. Crap happens ! At my age, (and in view of the fact that I take blood thinners), I have taken to carrying clotting gauze as well as a basic first aid kit in my pack, and I don’t hunt without my pack. One slip of a sharp knife can be a disaster if you’re in the woods, and worse if you’re alone and nobody knows where you are. My wife and I both have “trackers” on our phones where we can tell where one another are at all times.

Everyone needs to have the location of their stands on a map or a hunting app and someone needs to know what stand you’re hunting at any particular time. It just makes good sense. I use HuntStand to locate all stands at home, as well as the leases I hunt and someone always knows where I am. I can’t afford the chances I use to take, ‘cause I ain’t bulletproof anymore !

Thanks for posting this Burnadell, it’s a good reminder.

Comment

That was a terrible event.

Comment

I remember that thread

We should all stay alert when we are in the woods, especially when hunting alone

I hope that Sue and Kevin are doing well

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            It reminds me of the time Papa Smurf fell off his 8' platform. And fractured a vertebra. It don't take much to have some real damage done.

I also remember a couple stories abuot hunters who were impaled on a T-post to stake feeder legs down with. Coffee cans over the top of the legs will help prevent that should you fall while filling feeders.

I worry about that all the time. I’m switching mine out to stand and fill as they wear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That was an intense read.Glad she survived. Had a close call about 15 yrs ago.Fell 20 foot.Landed flat on my back,on a pile of chunk rocks.When I woke up,the the t-post(guy wired with barb wire was two feet away).
                              I started buying stands with staircases the next week.No cell service,planned to be there a week,and by myself.Consider myself very lucky.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X