GMG vs. Pitts and Spitts Pellet Grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GMG vs. Pitts and Spitts Pellet Grills

Ok, I have narrowed it down to these two, but have a dilemma.

I know these are not apples to apples. Hence my problem, I really like the Pitts setup and can afford it, but, honestly, is it worth the extra $1K? I am a little concerned on the GMG reliability as to metal construction, but if it will last 5 years and the Pitts only last a few more, then what have I really gained?

Help me out here if you guys don’t mind.
    Last edited by Greenheadless; 01-26-2019, 09:02 AM.

You're right it's apples to oranges. Pitts n Spitts is far superior in the quality and longevity. You will probably buy two GMG before you will ever need to replace the PnS.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      You're right it's apples to oranges. Pitts n Spitts is far superior in the quality and longevity. You will probably buy two GMG before you will ever need to replace the PnS.
      Thanks, that is the issue. If this is the case, they are equal though in cost of ownership.

Comment

Did you look at the Yoder? Good quality as well.

Comment

I did, if I am going that price point, I am going Spitts.

Comment

Yoder better than both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the constructive response.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                Yoder better than both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not from what I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have not seen a pits and spits but I have used a Traeger and own a Yoder and my assumption is (I could be wrong) that the two you are considering are comperable to the two I have used. One thing that is easy to overlook is the cost of pellets. I expect you will be like me and love cooking on whatever you get and at roughly a dollar a pound you will use a lot of dollars in pellets. The heavier thicker smokers heat up and maintain heat better on long cooks than the thin sheet metal ones and use less pellets.

Just something to consider.

Comment

Please guys, let’s not derail this in true TBH form.

Just curious y’alls take it the higher price options are truly worth the extra investment. And if so, why?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                      I have not seen a pits and spits but I have used a Traeger and own a Yoder and my assumption is (I could be wrong) that the two you are considering are comperable to the two I have used. One thing that is easy to overlook is the cost of pellets. I expect you will be like me and love cooking on whatever you get and at roughly a dollar a pound you will use a lot of dollars in pellets. The heavier thicker smokers heat up and maintain heat better on long cooks than the thin sheet metal ones and use less pellets.

Just something to consider.
                      Great perspective, thanks. I hadn’t thought of that.

Comment

You can get insulating blankets for them all so that may not be a huge issue. I probably won’t go that route myself.

I can tell you that my pellet smoker is one of the best purchases I have ever made. It gets used more than our oven!

Comment

Yeah, I am looking forward to it! Just need to pull the trigger.

Comment

My thought is I would by the cheaper one it's probably half price. It's probably not going to hold the temp as good . Might not last as long but I think your instincts are telling you to go on the less expensive one. And with the money you save you can bring me some baby back ribs. :-)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Actually, I am leaning towards the Spitts version, I was just curious if the cheaper version was really just as good. I will pay for quality, as long as the investment is legit and not because of a ‘fad’.

Comment

Working...
                              X