No announcement yet.

Senior Side Hustles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've already been asked to teach machining at the HS AG dept. If it is still available when I retire, I'll probably do it.

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
    My dad makes pretty decent spending cash working on small engines. Lawnmowers,weed eaters, leaf blowers, chainsaws, Chipper's, all sorts. He also rehabs those things too. He hits a couple scrap yards every day and picks up something to fix and flip. It's his hobby..
    I've thought about this also. I already work on things for the neighbors but get paid in beer most of the time. I've already got a sign in the garage.
    Attached Files

Comment

My dad retired about 6 years ago, he relaxed for a year and got bored. His buddy owns a moving company and he asked my dad to help him one day. Well that one day turned it to a few years, he would pack up peoples belongings in Uhauls and move them cross country. He enjoys driving, he drove all over the place. He’s about to turn 70 in a few weeks so he decided to call it quits and just enjoy his time.

Comment

First of all, I love retirement. Between the ranch and working 2-3 days a week during tax season at my old firm, I am as busy as I want to be. What did you do before you retired? I have a friend who was in banking for 40+ years and became a consultant when he retired. He works when and for whom he chooses. I also know a couple of guys who became part time drivers for automobile dealerships. Another route is working for a catering service, that is generally part time, although usually the hours you have to work are pretty crummy.

Comment

My sentiments exactly dukfvr. The wife goes to work and I’m still home. One of us will have to be with our son. She’s fourteen years younger than me and still in her working years. I’m still considering buying property but need to get busy if I’m going to do it.
          I want to do something where I can control my time. My buddy Pic mentioned a few post up getting a good job and I agree with that but, there goes the control over my schedule.
          So there is something to be said on both sides of the isle as far as land. One argument is: “your gonna spend that much on land at your age”! The other is “Bruce pull the trigger on this if your gonna do it. It will be good for you and Caleb. “

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
            I haven't been retired long but I highly recommend it. Life is good! Im not looking or needing a job but honestly part of me feels like I still need to be making some money so I'll be watching this thread.

I've been doing a lot of woodworking. Mostly for friends but I've started selling a few things and going to start doing a few of the craft shoes. Thinking I might have to add a stay off my lawn sign to the inventory. Wondering though will I have to pay Burnadell royalties?

I'm definately looking for a part time beach bum or lease loafer job if one comes available!
            I'm pretty sure you get one free sign when you get into the GOF club.

Even though I'm retired and grumpy I didn't meet the age requirement to get in.

Comment

I worked 18 years for a company that manufacture concrete trucks. We would hire drivers to deliver trucks all over the US.

Comment

When I retired I put apps in at Spec's and Home Depot hoping that I would just break even if hired. Thank god they never called.

Comment

I’m leaning toward the handyman route or possibly building/furniture renovation. I have really good contacts in real estate. All I have to do is bring business cards and food and probably will be good to go. Still mulling a lot of these ideas over.

Comment

Marshall at golf course....get to be outdoors and instead of being told to speed up, you get to TELL people to speed up. AND....FREE golf.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                      I worked 18 years for a company that manufacture concrete trucks. We would hire drivers to deliver trucks all over the US.
                      Friend of mine used to deliver motor homes for an RV dealer.

Comment

I'll let ya know in 12 months & 23 days, My b'day and the day I will retire!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          My dad became a part-time butcher at HEB after he retired. Made good money until he accidentally backed into a meat grinder. I guess you could say he got a little behind in his work.
                          That’s impressive. Only guy I’ve ever heard of that lost hiss azz working for someone else!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                            Friend of mine used to deliver motor homes for an RV dealer.
                            I just read a article about that industry growing very rapidly. Almost 500K RV had to be delivered to dealers last year. Could be a pretty good side gig and a way to "GO, GO, Go RV'n" without having to buy one.

Comment

Liquid fertilizer/weed killer spray yards with green die in late winter/spring

Comment

side gig

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                                I’m leaning toward the handyman route or possibly building/furniture renovation. I have really good contacts in real estate. All I have to do is bring business cards and food and probably will be good to go. Still mulling a lot of these ideas over.
                                My aunt and uncle contracted with several real estate brokers to put up and take down For Sale signs on listed properties. Pretty good gig into their 80's.

Comment

Working...
                                X