Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious question about hunting, kids, and marriage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mev002 View Post
    I’m 32, married with 2 kids (4 and 5). They have never slowed me down or stopped my hunting once. That being said, I take my wife and kids with me hunting 99% of the time. We drive 8 hours to our lease at least a dozen times a year, and hunt or fish elsewhere many more times throughout the year. My kids have been in the field with me since they were born.

They men who can’t hunt because “they have a wife and kids” are just making excuses. Work I understand... I regularly work 6 days a week... but come one. I bet those guys never use that excuse when it comes to watching football all weekend long....

Some people only WANT to hunt 1 or 2 weekends a year, and that’s fine... but they are just using a convenient excuse to justify NOT hunting more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So when you guys had a newborn and a 1 yr old, you did whatever you wanted and left the wife at home to care for the kids?

I'm in this exact boat right now. It's absolutely killing me not hunting much, but I fully understand that caring for two kids of that age and that close together is a challenge. I can't in good conscience leave her there every weekend while I have a blast hunting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
      Amen!

She would have never agreed to let me buy that boat if she didn’t expect to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by tfrye View Post
        100% disagree and calling it peer pressure for supporting your kids is an interesting choice of words for showing love and interest.
        I agree

Comment

4,115 likes, 151 comments - sportsmanchannel on December 3, 2019: "Now this little hunter has his priorities straight! Great share by Rusty Smerek. #IAMSPORTSMAN #..."

I hope this is a tbh kid
          Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

You guys have valid points. I will say that my Dad made every baseball home and away I played in. He worked 70 plus hours a week. My schedule is not what my kids is. I was maybe 40 games a year. I always knew he was there.

My kid has told me I don’t need to come to some games. I make them and he knows I’m there somehow.

I just did the math and I worked 1642 hrs of overtime last year. Sure I could go sit in a tree or go offshore but it’s not how I choose and I made a commitment just like my Dad did when I laid down with my wife

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
              Amen!
              Luckily, my son didn't care for ball sports & liked going to the country instead. He tried it for a bit & got tired of it. I went to a couple of games & quit. It was sickening the way the PARENTS acted. You would have thought it was a life & death situation. The kids just wanted to have fun. My daughter got into ROTC of all things. She advanced through the ranks & ended up being the head commander or whatever they were called. I went to her drills & was proud of how she made it to the top.
              I agree with this because your with your kids!

For the ones saying have fun at your game I'll be in the woods, well that's another story!

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                So when you guys had a newborn and a 1 yr old, you did whatever you wanted and left the wife at home to care for the kids?

I'm in this exact boat right now. It's absolutely killing me not hunting much, but I fully understand that caring for two kids of that age and that close together is a challenge. I can't in good conscience leave her there every weekend while I have a blast hunting.

I had to just scale my season and trips back after my second kid was born. Every situation is different, but my family needed me at home that year. Next season was back to normal.

I was pretty ****** and thought world was ending etc. It wasn’t, and now I am only a few short years away from one of them joining me in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by mayhem View Post
                  she would have never agreed to let me buy that boat if she didn’t expect to use it.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
                  lol!

Comment

My lease is 90 min away. My kids ( at the moment ) are not playing or doing anything to divide my time and I still cant manage to grrr et to the lease. I have been 3 days this season. That said I am not complaining because reading the threads and not seeing anything on my 11 ac. I figure I'm not missing much. I spend 90% of my free time with my family because that's where I want to be. At some point that free time will include a lease trip

Comment

I did. How many people does it take to look after a 12lb kid who can't walk? When she wanted to do something with the girls, I stayed home with him.

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                      This may sounds insanely selfish but one of the reasons my kids don’t play any sports ( little league) is the fact the wife and I just don’t have time to be running them all over town for practice 2-3 nights a week till 8pm and to games all weekend. I have better things that we can do at a family besides sitting at a ball park watching people live through their children. I have friend I see on high school spending every weekend watching their kids play ball and virtually complaining about it. Call me selfish if you want but I had much rather spend my time and money hunting or fishing with my wife and kids than sitting at a ball field.

I wouldn't call it insanely selfish, but I'd call that part insanely ignorant.

Mine plays ball about 12-13 weekends a year in the spring/summer because he LOVES IT. If I can't support that, then I would be selfish. He knows he/we may miss some from time to time if real life happens. We don't play fall ball....fall is for deer season, and he plays a little basketball.
                      Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-03-2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Absolutely not. I took my wife and newborn with me. We would take turns on who gets to hunt and who watches the baby.

I get it, not everyone’s wife wants to go to the deer lease, or is willing to travel with babies, but it is possible to do what you love and help with the babies at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          This may sounds insanely selfish but one of the reasons my kids don’t play any sports ( little league) is the fact the wife and I just don’t have time to be running them all over town for practice 2-3 nights a week till 8pm and to games all weekend. I have better things that we can do at a family besides sitting at a ball park watching people live through their children. I have friend I see on high school spending every weekend watching their kids play ball and virtually complaining about it. Call me selfish if you want but I had much rather spend my time and money hunting or fishing with my wife and kids than sitting at a ball field.

Only selfish if the kid really wants to do it and you make your priorities theirs . Then yea its selfish.

Comment

I had a guy on my lease for a while that I just shook my head at the way his wife guilted him while he tried to hunt. Lease was an hour and a half away. He would drive up early and make the morning hunt. Who knows how many texts and calls he got while he was hunting. I saw on more than one occasion when we were up there during the week that she would call him and say that he needed to pick his two kids up from school. He would pack up and leave.
                            Thing was, she worked from home! Her excuse was that she didn’t feel like getting dressed to go pick them up.
                            We worked together on the same shift so I had a weekday hunting partner. Made the mistake and rode together once. That’s how I found out she was home and just didn’t feel like going.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              I did. How many people does it take to look after a 12lb kid who can't walk? When she wanted to do something with the girls, I stayed home with him.

I wouldn't call it insanely selfish, but I'd call that part insanely ignorant.

Mine plays ball about 12-13 weekends a year in the spring/summer because he LOVES IT. If I can't support that, then I would be selfish. He knows he/we may miss some from time to time if real life happens. We don't play fall ball....fall is for deer season, and he plays a little basketball.

What makes it ignorant? There is a lot of truth to that regardless if you are willing to admit it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
                                I had a guy on my lease for a while that I just shook my head at the way his wife guilted him while he tried to hunt. Lease was an hour and a half away. He would drive up early and make the morning hunt. Who knows how many texts and calls he got while he was hunting. I saw on more than one occasion when we were up there during the week that she would call him and say that he needed to pick his two kids up from school. He would pack up and leave.
                                Thing was, she worked from home! Her excuse was that she didn’t feel like getting dressed to go pick them up.
                                We worked together on the same shift so I had a weekday hunting partner. Made the mistake and rode together once. That’s how I found out she was home and just didn’t feel like going.
                                I think I hunted with the same guy!! LOL! I used to hunt with a guy that was the same way. Wife was constantly making him check in or had him call at certain times.

Comment

Working...
                                X