Proposed Change in Oklhoma Deer Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
    It could do a combination of things. How much more adapt would you be to hold out for a mature deer with a longer season. Although I would never lease out, it does give the landowner the ability to justify a stricter age harvest strategy. IMO.
    Why not just have a rule that a deer can only be so big before someone kills it? That'd save a lot of fork horns. My buddy is a rifle hunter and even he ain't a fan of extending the season. That'd just mean more small deer got killed.

Comment

I understand your argument. I was looking at from a deer hunting perspective. I personally dont like having to purchase up to 3 non resident deer licenses at $300 per license.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
        I already made my comments on there. I pretty much told them that a lot of locals already hunt outside of season. No reason to extend it.[emoji23][emoji23] Until they can enforce the laws they already have on the books I wouldn’t make it any harder on their already stretched thin game wardens. It’s pretty well known that they have a lot of poaching going on up there. It’s bad where my lease is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        I hunt SE Oklahoma and poaching is rampant, and the Game Wardens are stretched too thin.

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
          I hunt SE Oklahoma and poaching is rampant, and the Game Wardens are stretched too thin.

Where about? I hunt around Talihina in Qhachita Mountains. I was staying in the state park a couple weeks ago and heard a rifle shot just east of the park in the hills at 2am. I asked the park official the next morning if he heard it. He said yeah it’s nothing new. Said that’s how some of the locals always kill big bucks. Like it’s normal. [emoji2373]

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
            Why not just have a rule that a deer can only be so big before someone kills it? That'd save a lot of fork horns. My buddy is a rifle hunter and even he ain't a fan of extending the season. That'd just mean more small deer got killed.
            I see the opposite. People said the same thing about moving to an elk quota. I heard it all, but end of the day those of us that wanted elk are managing them well and those that don’t want elk, don’t have them, or atleast not for long, there are now options.

We can go in a circular agruement for days, end of the day it’s gives more management capability with more days in the field for more segments of hunters. It’s a win win.
            Last edited by Texans42; 12-02-2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
              Where about? I hunt around Talihina in Qhachita Mountains. I was staying in the state park a couple weeks ago and heard a rifle shot just east of the park in the hills at 2am. I asked the park official the next morning if he heard it. He said yeah it’s nothing new. Said that’s how some of the locals always kill big bucks. Like it’s normal. [emoji2373]

I hunt east of Idabel and its ridiculous...a lot of gunshots during all seasons and road hunting the pine stands is the "normal" way to hunt. The locals dont even bother to call the Game Warden. I have a pic of an article where this guy gun hunts the railroad tracks that divide our lease from another company called Herron Family Tree Farm. Herron doesnt regulate the hunting of their property, so the locals treat it as public land. Our lease manager has a saw mill and can watch this guy drive up to the railroad tracks in his Polaris and shoot deer. The altercation between our Lease Manager and the guy made the paper. Nothing happened...he put an add out in the same paper a few weeks later showing off his kill (he posed with a muzzle loader but shot it with a rifle). He had already killed several bucks but didnt check them in, and he shot it with a rifle out of season....even most of the local poachers know nothing will happen.

Comment

these shortened gun deals seem anti-2nd to me, of course it falls on deaf ears within a group that willingly gave up the right to carry, while bow hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                  I see the opposite. People said the same thing about moving to an elk quota. I heard it all, but end of the day those of us that wanted elk are managing them well and those that don’t want elk, don’t have them, or atleast not for long, there are now options.

We can go in a circular agruement for days, end of the day it’s gives more management capability with more days in the field for more segments of hunters. It’s a win win.
                  People are already capable of killing more than one deer here. A lot don't even kill one with a rifle let alone a bow. There's an over abundance of deer because people aren't shooting enough,not because the seasons aren't long enough. Would one or two people get lucky and get big deer if they had an extra week? Maybe, but I'm guessing the majority aren't going to hold out for even half that long if they're wanting meat in the freezer.

A majority of big deer up here are nocturnal. That's why you may only hear of a few really good ones being killed. If I see a huge deer around here that got shot I'm always pretty apprehensive about the means in which it was taken. I think more often than not it's probably after legal hunting hours. I know of some big deer my buddy had on camera at night even during the rut got their pictures taken on neighboring properties during the day by the same people. Happens every year. Could they just be really lucky when nobody else is? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say nobody is that lucky.

I say if they're doing it because there's too many deer I'd say more people need to be deer shooters instead of deer watchers.
                  Last edited by okrattler; 12-02-2019, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
                    I hunt east of Idabel and its ridiculous...a lot of gunshots during all seasons and road hunting the pine stands is the "normal" way to hunt. The locals dont even bother to call the Game Warden. I have a pic of an article where this guy gun hunts the railroad tracks that divide our lease from another company called Herron Family Tree Farm. Herron doesnt regulate the hunting of their property, so the locals treat it as public land. Our lease manager has a saw mill and can watch this guy drive up to the railroad tracks in his Polaris and shoot deer. The altercation between our Lease Manager and the guy made the paper. Nothing happened...he put an add out in the same paper a few weeks later showing off his kill (he posed with a muzzle loader but shot it with a rifle). He had already killed several bucks but didnt check them in, and he shot it with a rifle out of season....even most of the local poachers know nothing will happen.

Wow. That’s crazy. My lease land owner had a horse and a heifer shot from the road during deer season. Now they move them right before season starts. It seems like when they do get caught that there isn’t much punishment for it in Oklahoma so they figure might as well I guess.[emoji2373]

Comment

Used to hunt North of Durant and were bow only and we heard gun shots constantly out of season and had at least one stand per year stolen etc. I also used to work with a bunch of people from Oklahoma and every one of them shot deer whenever they wanted and would talk about sabotaging feeders etc because they didn't like people coming up and hunting on "their" lands. Obviously not saying everyone up there does it but seems like a popular trend

Comment

This was just posted on Facebook. Looks like these guys won’t be hunting for a while lol.

Comment

ban oklahoma.

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
                            Used to hunt North of Durant and were bow only and we heard gun shots constantly out of season and had at least one stand per year stolen etc. I also used to work with a bunch of people from Oklahoma and every one of them shot deer whenever they wanted and would talk about sabotaging feeders etc because they didn't like people coming up and hunting on "their" lands. Obviously not saying everyone up there does it but seems like a popular trend
                            Popular?LOL I think it's kind of a sport in itself up here. I know guys that have more fun jacking with other people than they do huntin. It's ok to do a little profiling every now and again. It's obvious that Oklahomans take deer huntin to another level at times.

And then there's guys like me that wish they'd shoot their deer and get the hell on home so I can hunt. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if rifle season was a week long as long as all their tags got filled.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 12-02-2019, 09:59 PM.

Comment

If I were a landowner there I would not want the change, the deer are not near as nocturnal there and get big for a reason, same reason Grayson and Collin county have some giants, limited long range weapon seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                                People are already capable of killing more than one deer here. A lot don't even kill one with a rifle let alone a bow. There's an over abundance of deer because people aren't shooting enough,not because the seasons aren't long enough. Would one or two people get lucky and get big deer if they had an extra week? Maybe, but I'm guessing the majority aren't going to hold out for even half that long if they're wanting meat in the freezer.

A majority of big deer up here are nocturnal. That's why you may only hear of a few really good ones being killed. If I see a huge deer around here that got shot I'm always pretty apprehensive about the means in which it was taken. I think more often than not it's probably after legal hunting hours. I know of some big deer my buddy had on camera at night even during the rut got their pictures taken on neighboring properties during the day by the same people. Happens every year. Could they just be really lucky when nobody else is? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say nobody is that lucky.

I say if they're doing it because there's too many deer I'd say more people need to be deer shooters instead of deer watchers.
                                I’ve been hunting Oklahoma my entire life, deer are no different then they are anywhere else. Nocturnal myth. I hunt Osage/Pawnee and Cimarron/Texas counties. I personally have measured four deer out of Osage/Pawnee that where 200”. Those kind of deer don’t get reported because they don’t want the publicity/ future completion especially with school leases. I can’t tell you how many people, I know that use to drive to a different city instead of checking their deer at the publicity hub known as the fire station. The online reporting system is now keeping even more deer under raps.

Again more hunting options means more time in the field and better management ability. It’s that simple.
                                It a plus plus for me will equal longer elk season and move Mulie’s more in to the rut
                                Last edited by Texans42; 12-03-2019, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X