Buck fever....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
    After reading some of the replies from the thread I started about missing deer I realized adrenaline doesn't affect some people near as much as it does others. Or maybe it does in different ways. How hard does it hit you? I've had it hit me hard at times,sometimes more than others for some reason or another. But I can't say it's ever been uncontrollable to the point that I couldn't function or make clear decisions or just flat couldn't control my actions.

I try not to let that come into play until after I've shot something. The only time adrenaline ever hits me hard to the point that my hands feel jittery or I'm noticeable shaky is after I've handled a large venomous snake. I block all of that out before and during. I know if I don't that's a good way to screw up royally.

How do you handle adrenaline,or do you?
    I read your other thread as well and these are great and important topics! As new hunters get into hunting later in life or get started as a kiddo, it's awesome to learn from other folks who love it.

In my experience, If im about to take an animal, for sure my heartrate increases, sometimes significantly. I'll take my time and take a slow deep breath or two depending on the situation. When it comes time for the shot, full concentration on a perfect shot everytime is my focus. I rarely make a bad shot. Sure, over the years ive made some poor shots as im sure many have with decades of hunting. In all my years I've put in my 10,000 hours stalking, shooting, getting a brace in awkward positions, off hand, easy shots and most importantly.. passing on taking the shot if i dont feel right about it. Like many of you guys here.. i started with a daisy bb gun in elementary and then a Benjamin pump .177, 410 shotgun, first hunting rifle was a Smith & Wesson .222 and now my current .270 hunting with for over 25yrs. With all that said, ive been in a lot of hunting situations and when it comes to handling the excitement and adrenaline that we all love.. you have to focus, breathe and perform the steps of good marksmanship. A lot is on the line the moment you pull the trigger or release

Man i wish i still had that Benjamin pellet rifle.. that thing was awesome!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rosco11; 11-27-2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
      I read your other thread as well and these are great and important topics! As new hunters get into hunting later in life or get started as a kiddo, it's awesome to learn from other folks who love it.

In my experience, If im about to take an animal, for sure my heartrate increases, sometimes significantly. I'll take my time and take a slow deep breath or two depending on the situation. When it comes time for the shot, full concentration on a perfect shot everytime is my focus. I rarely make a bad shot. Sure, over the years ive made some poor shots as im sure many have with decades of hunting. In all my years I've put in my 10,000 hours stalking, shooting, getting a brace in awkward positions, off hand, easy shots and most importantly.. passing on taking the shot if i dont feel right about it. Like many of you guys here.. i started with a daisy bb gun in elementary and then a Benjamin pump .177, 410 shotgun, first hunting rifle was a Smith & Wesson .222 and now my current .270 hunting with for over 25yrs. With all that said, ive been in a lot of hunting situations and when it comes to handling the excitement and adrenaline that we all love.. you have to focus, breathe and perform the steps of good marksmanship. A lot is on the line the moment you pull the trigger or release

Man i wish i still had that Benjamin pellet rifle.. that thing was awesome!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      I remember getting shaky shooting prairie dogs with a .22 when I was younger. I felt like I was on a big game hunt. Might as well have been. When I was 13 I shot a doe at 275 yards with a .270WSM using an old tractor plow as a rest. I learned to control my emotions early on,on varmints so when that time came I was excited but had no trouble taking that shot. Trigger time helped me out.

Comment

Ive put together a few things about myself when it comes to this.

1. if any critter gives me enough time I get nervous. If I watch it come in, wait for it to get in range, ect I get shook up.

2. The opposite of #1 if all of a sudden target shows up and I have to draw and shoot im as calm an steady as can be

Comment

Working...
        X