Alligator Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alligator Hunt

Looks like i will be Gator hunting the J.D. Murphree WMA on Sept. 15-16 this year with my friends 11 year old twin boys in also. Should be a blast. Any tips or info on this would be appreciated.

Congratulations!

Comment

DUDE, congratulations!!! thats awesome!

Comment

Tips or info? Uh, don't miss!

Comment

Chootem

Comment

Congrats! How many loyalty points did you have in that category?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
              Congrats! How many loyalty points did you have in that category?
              4 points

Comment

HECK YEA, congrats. Pending 2nd draw for me.

Comment

There is gators all over the place. They will let you pick based on when you drew. Wife and I hunted the furthest spot from the launch and saw plenty.

DO NOT get discouraged when you dont see a few lizards the first afternoon. Dont take 2 large of a boat. We had a group in a 20 foot whaler. While the main canal is deep enough they managed to burn up a motor.

On our hunt they had lines,hooks etc for 15 bucks. The money benefits the youth hunt

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations! I was fortunate enough to be successful on that same hunt last year it was a blast.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      There is gators all over the place. They will let you pick based on when you drew. Wife and I hunted the furthest spot from the launch and saw plenty.

DO NOT get discouraged when you dont see a few lizards the first afternoon. Dont take 2 large of a boat. We had a group in a 20 foot whaler. While the main canal is deep enough they managed to burn up a motor.

On our hunt they had lines,hooks etc for 15 bucks. The money benefits the youth hunt

How did they burn up the motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                        How did they burn up the motor?
                        From what I was told they ran too shallow and got in the mud

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
                          Looks like i will be Gator hunting the J.D. Murphree WMA on Sept. 15-16 this year with my friends 11 year old twin boys in also. Should be a blast. Any tips or info on this would be appreciated.
                          Congrats! One of the favorites I did with my boys. Tip: Use chicken quarters (or beef livers) put the hooks in the meat and put the hooked quarters with leader lines in a five gallon bucket with a lid 2 or 3 days before the hunt. You can add an inch or so of water if you want.

Let the leader lines extend outside the lid and leave the lid on till you get there. This way you don't have to handle the smelly stuff. Gators won't be able to resist, pour a little of the bucket water in the water under your bait. Hang the bait about a foot out of the water to discourage small gators or other aquatic life from stealing it. They'll have long cane poles for you to use.

Follow the Parks and Wildlife staff's advice. Always found them to be great guys and very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
                            Congrats! One of the favorites I did with my boys. Tip: Use chicken quarters (or beef livers) put the hooks in the meat and put the hooked quarters with leader lines in a five gallon bucket with a lid 2 or 3 days before the hunt. You can add an inch or so of water if you want.

Let the leader lines extend outside the lid and leave the lid on till you get there. This way you don't have to handle the smelly stuff. Gators won't be able to resist, pour a little of the bucket water in the water under your bait. Hang the bait about a foot out of the water to discourage small gators or other aquatic life from stealing it. They'll have long cane poles for you to use.

Follow the Parks and Wildlife staff's advice. Always found them to be great guys and very helpful.
                            Thanks!! What size hooks? Is paracord good for line?

I have a 16’ express with 90 Yamaha, is that to big?

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
                              Thanks!! What size hooks? Is paracord good for line?

I have a 16’ express with 90 Yamaha, is that to big?
                              Take a look at this site, you can order hooks and learn more about gator hunting than you wanted to know:

The Fish Net Company, now doing business as Nets & More. For fishing nets and supplies, commercial and recreational, as well as sports nets and supplies. From stock, or custom made to any specification required. Our qualified and friendly staff is experienced in net engineering, and is committed to satisfy every customer's needs.

I would prefer something smaller but if that's what you have it should work. Call the refuge guys and talk to them first. They'll try to assign you to water that your boat can access. Too big or too small may limit your choices of where they can assign you.

Comment

Working...
                              X