No announcement yet.

Let’s discuss Hagerman quality post 2020 hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop talking about it here so much and maybe the area wouldn't have got so hammered the last 15 years. DCNF is putting out toads and nobody talks about it... hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
      Stop talking about it here so much and maybe the area wouldn't have got so hammered the last 15 years. DCNF is putting out toads and nobody talks about it... hmmm.
      What?

Comment

If there are a limited number of tags issued each year, and these tags are filled each year, what does it matter if people are talking about it? Wouldn’t these tags get filled regardless?

Comment

Sour grapes

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
            Hag is not shot out. The private land owners are not the problem. There is no problem. Guys just go out there and literally expect to see monsters running all over the place. The reality is that most guys that get to hunt there just aren’t as good of hunters as they think they are. They can’t pick the right spot for the right reasons at the right time. They aren’t disciplined enough to not move around, or eat on stand or a dozen other reasons. Point blank, the monsters guys want to see out there are gonna come easy. Sure every once in a while some Gomer will Forrest Gump his way to success. There’s half a dozen or so guys I know here in Grayson county that regularly kill monsters and they all have a lot in common. Some guys just don’t have what it takes to kill old mature whitetails with a bow, but everyone thinks they do
            x2. Lol that needed to be said. That's a notoriously hard county to hunt to begin with and you're telling a small group of hunters of all skill levels they have 3 days to get it done in a blitz. To expect everyone to just waltz in and shoot some yuuuuge deer and go about their day is very unrealistic. That place isn't small so to think that this scenario is wrong and that it must be due to neighboring properties sounds crazy. It's a tough hunt and it always has been. Those that stick out the all day sits and choose the right areas have a chance to be rewarded greatly. But to say the quality is down bc a particular group of drawn hunters didn't connect just isn't the case. It's hunting, sometimes good and sometimes bad, And Yes, I also agree that the spotlight that has been shined on it nonstop by the internet and social media sucks bc where as once upon a time you had a good chance to get drawn and go out there, that has been crippled severely with false stories of monsters just comin in from every direction lol smh... Was this thread made to stir up beef with the people that actually own surrounding land that they hunt? Lol you have too much free time
            Last edited by Fmjag64; 12-07-2020, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Ifn ya can't draw a 90lb longbow, then ya shouldn't be hunting the Hag.

Crossbows were around since at least the 7th century BC, before the wheely bow came along in the 1960s . Lets go back to trad only. What do you say? Or give up conventional archery sights? And learn to shoot instinctively? I can shoot a trad crossbow too.

Course, I just like to hunt regardless of the method (as long as it's legal). It's about the hunt and the hunter. Not necessarily about equipment.

Do what pleases you. What brings you joy. But don't try to force your way on others. Don't be "that elitist". Sound familiar?

Comment

DCNF has been talked about in my circle for close to 30 years.

Comment

If the number of archery hunters that hunt Hagerman can shoot a place that size out in 3 hunts that last 3 days each there has to be a phenomenal success rate ��

Anybody that believes it has gone down hill just don’t apply, I would like to go and see for myself a few more times ��

Comment

I’m part of a large chunk of land here in East Texas and if you combine all the leases around us we would make up about 9,000 acres with about 75 hunters. There’s about 5 feeders and two for sure food plots on private property that border us.

I said that to say this.... Hagerman has prob 50 feeders on the border and prob 30-40 food plots. Anyone that has 2 acres will throw up a feeder and call it a deer lease. I’ve never seen anything like it.

I just don’t think you blame the decline in quality and quantity on the guys who draw hunts, get a couple days to hunt, and spend it sitting on a scrape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                      What's wrong with crossbows? Don't you think more deer are loss due to poor shooting from a compound than a crossbow?

Also, I think that more deer are probably harvested on Hag than on adjoining neighbors. You have a lot more tags trying to be filled on the draw hunts than those who can be patient and wait for the right mature buck to come along on their own property. I'm seeing deer come out of Hag that would possibly be passed on if a person had more than 3 days to hunt it. It seems that any good buck comes through and it is being taken because the shooter doesn't know if he/she will have any other chances. That can't be good for trying to grow big deer.

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone View Post
                        I’m part of a large chunk of land here in East Texas and if you combine all the leases around us we would make up about 9,000 acres with about 75 hunters. There’s about 5 feeders and two for sure food plots on private property that border us.

I said that to say this.... Hagerman has prob 50 feeders on the border and prob 30-40 food plots. Anyone that has 2 acres will throw up a feeder and call it a deer lease. I’ve never seen anything like it.

I just don’t think you blame the decline in quality and quantity on the guys who draw hunts, get a couple days to hunt, and spend it sitting on a scrape.

There’s no decline in quality or quantity

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                          x2. Lol that needed to be said. That's a notoriously hard county to hunt to begin with and you're telling a small group of hunters of all skill levels they have 3 days to get it done in a blitz. To expect everyone to just waltz in and shoot some yuuuuge deer and go about their day is very unrealistic. That place isn't small so to think that this scenario is wrong and that it must be due to neighboring properties sounds crazy. It's a tough hunt and it always has been. Those that stick out the all day sits and choose the right areas have a chance to be rewarded greatly. But to say the quality is down bc a particular group of drawn hunters didn't connect just isn't the case. It's hunting, sometimes good and sometimes bad, And Yes, I also agree that the spotlight that has been shined on it nonstop by the internet and social media sucks bc where as once upon a time you had a good chance to get drawn and go out there, that has been crippled severely with false stories of monsters just comin in from every direction lol smh... Was this thread made to stir up beef with the people that actually own surrounding land that they hunt? Lol you have too much free time
                          Good point, the poor showing this year, I place the blame squarely on all the green newbies introduced to this hunt by the TPWD state draw system that no longer have to pass a proficiency test Oh yeah and the millenials with crossbows

Comment

All I can say was Segment C in Harris was a S#!t show. I had a hunter see me setting up my stand and still set up less than 100 yards away. When I told him that I’m right over there, he replied, “It will be all right” and kept setting up. There were at least 7 other hunters packed in the same area. I pulled my stand out and moved. At 0900 on Sunday, my buddy had a guy walk 50 yards in front of him looking to re-locate his stand. On the GroupMe thread multiple people were moving around for one reason or another. This was 4th hunt there and I have never had this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone View Post

About how many small pieces of land butt up against Hagerman?

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
                                Hag is not shot out. The private land owners are not the problem. There is no problem. Guys just go out there and literally expect to see monsters running all over the place. The reality is that most guys that get to hunt there just aren’t as good of hunters as they think they are. They can’t pick the right spot for the right reasons at the right time. They aren’t disciplined enough to not move around, or eat on stand or a dozen other reasons. Point blank, the monsters guys want to see out there are gonna come easy. Sure every once in a while some Gomer will Forrest Gump his way to success. There’s half a dozen or so guys I know here in Grayson county that regularly kill monsters and they all have a lot in common. Some guys just don’t have what it takes to kill old mature whitetails with a bow, but evehryone thinks they do
                                Nail....meet head. Good post.

Comment

Working...
                                X