sheds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sheds

This past week we found a PILE of sheds. Only two of our named deer. One was of a 4 1/2 yo that I thought would go low to mid 60's. He was a little smaller than that, guessing off one side. He'll probably bump 160. Not disappointed because he has tremendous potential to blow up, especially since he has just been on protein for a little over a year.

The shed in the pic is off one of about 3 deer that I REALLY wanted to find. I had this deer in the low 80's. We thought he could have gone as high as the upper 80's. He was a deer that we were worried about with all the hog hunters out and about. I was really glad to find the shed. That means he made it at least this far. He's a 4 1/2 yo typical 10. He's been on protein since he was a tyke and I predicted a couple years ago that if he stayed on protein, he could be the biggest typical 10 killed off this unnamed ranch. LOL

When I saw the shed and picked it up, I wondered how I could have missed him so badly. Didn't look like a 180. However, when I put the tape on him, his beams bump 28 inches. He's 32 in mass, not bad for such a wide deer, and he has potential to get heavier. His brow is broken off, but it was a solid 5 incher. His 2,3,4 will go right at 30 inches. He's a solid 25 inside. Down should be 114ish. Up, right at 70. He'll easily go 180.

He shows signes of a little nontypicalness. Possible drop, possible kickers from tine bumps, one sticker at base. Also shows signs of a 5 on the right side. The right side may be a little better, but this deer will have very few deducts. My favorite all time deer.

My grandson is modelling the shed. This deer comes off the side of his head at about the angle Mailman is holding it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	logan and shed.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	24757522

Click image for larger version

Name:	logan and shed 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	24757523

Nice find!

Comment

wow. that is a monster.

Comment

Excellent find there John. Kaitlynn and I did a little shed hunting yesterday and found a lot of bone some from this year and some from previous years. Not any like the one you have but a few decent ones. I will start a new thread after I take some pics of them.

>E

Comment

We have a lot of deer with full racks still. As of three days ago, we have a wide 170 that has both sides. We also have a 170 that lost his Feb 27. So, the search continues. Only problem is the dang ticks. They are BAD.

We found a lot of old sheds. Probably 3 times as many as this year's sheds. The grass is so low that it helps the white horns stand out.

Comment

nice find doc! Did y'all run over any mailboxes?

Comment

Mailman didn't go, so the mailboxes were safe. LOL

Comment

Nice shed! We found a set from a 3.5 year old that was missing 4+- inches on each beam, a G4 that was 6+- inches, and two more extras and still scored 145 2/8!

I'm going to start looking real hard next weekend, I'll post some pics of our find. I'm also going to attempt to pull the dead buck out of the creek, i just hope he doesn't stink too bad.

Comment

good find-----------

Comment

Good find Doc! I'm headed south on Wednesday and I can't wait!!

Comment

cute kid!

loves me some bend in the tall tines and the mass to the tip

thanks!

Comment

Great find Doc
                        We have found a few but none of the better deer yet

Comment

Justin, get your mom to help. Some more mother/son bonding....and vomitting. LOL

I'm still waiting for a couple of my nasty big boar heads to dry out.

Comment

nice

Comment

Very Nice

Comment

Working...
                              X