Looking for a Chicken Fried Steak Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Chicken Fried Steak Recipe

Anyone have a recommendation for a good chicken fried steak recipe?

Thanks
    Jason

All you need for a great chicken fried steak is a good piece of tenderized steak (beef or venison), flour, milk or buttermilk, saly and pepper and vegetable/corn oil. For venison we usually soak the steaks in Wishbone Italian for an hour before cooking. The method: soak steaks in milk or Wishbone while you get the oil heating up. Heat oil to about 350 deg in a deep heavy frying pan. Season the meat with salt and black pepper then dredge in flour and coat all over. Repeat the milk and flour coating for a thicker crust if desired. Ease the battered steaks into the hot oil a couple at a time... DO NOT crowd them, they should not touch. Keep temp to 350! Fry till golden brown both sides, remove and drain. Serve with gravy in my earlier post!

Comment

Thanks, thats what I'm fixin for dinner tonight. Never made them before but I bet they'll be tasty especially with the gravy.

Comment

the best chicken fried steak I ever had.

Rather than milk used water season your steaks and flower to your taste. Have a bowl of water with a good had full of ice in it add a hand full of seasoned flower mix well should look like watered down milk let steaks soak in flour water compo until grease is hot. Fry until golden brown. Will make a nice thin batter to die for.

Comment

Coat the steak in seasoned flour, dip in buttermilk, coat with panco breadcrumbs, fry at about 365 till golden brown. Crunchy outside, and tender on the inside.

Comment

Use a good cut thats "double" tenderized. Pound out evenly to about 1/4" thick so it cooks fast and evenly. Season to taste...I like using pepper and Tonys.

Use buttermilk for your wash and add tobasco/hot sauce till it's pink.

Dip in SELF RISING flour and go straight into the oil. The self rising flour DOES make a huge difference in the crust...

Comment

The "secret" to any great chicken fried steak, is to NEVER use cubed steak. Get yourself some nice big sirloin tip or eye of round steaks. These are tougher cuts, but they are from well used muscle groups, which means they are leaner and more flavorful. You don't want a bunch of fat and gristle in your chicken fry, and a more tender cut will disentigrate during preparation. You've got to pound your own also... Get a $5.00 meat mallet at wally's (the hammer with all the spikes on one side and a big flat on the other), and some wax paper. Put your steak down on the wax paper and wack it all over a whole bunch with the spiky side. Now flip the steak and repeat. Don't get carried away and beat your meat into oblivion. If you notice that you're pulling chuncks of meat out with the little spikes, then you're past done. You just want to break up the muscle real good. Now sandwich the steak between two sheets of wax paper and beat it again, but with the flat side now. You'll notice the meat getting thinner, you can "shape" your steak with effective hammering, just don't beat it until it starts tearing apart. 1/8" to 1/4" is about where you want it, with 1/4" being very thick (like I said, get some big, thick steaks to start with). If the meat does happen to tear, then you can just pat it back together with your hands, but you never really want it to go that far. Set your steaks in a bowl or pan or whatever that has 1 beaten egg to every cup of milk. I prefer sweet milk (whole milk) to buttermilk. You want enough of this egg wash to completely cover your steaks. In a seperate pan you need flour, salt, and pepper. The amount of salt and pepper is up to you, just however much you like. You'll learn how much the more you cook. Now get you a skillet hot and pour in some vegetable oil. Clarifed butter is really good too. If your oil starts smoking at any point then it's too hot. Chicken Fried's should always be "shallow fried". Meaning that the oil never goes over the top of the steak while cooking. I don't even let my oil get halfway up the side of my steaks. You want to taste the steak, not the grease. Now, pick a hand for your wet hand (the hand that will be dipping in the egg wash), and a dry hand (for the flour). Pull a steak out of the egg wash, and place it down on the flour. Now use your dry hand to scoop up flour and pour on the top of your steaks. Never get your wet hand in the flour otherwise you'll have a bready mess on your hand, in your flour, and in you egg wash. Grab the steak by a corner with your wet hand, and flip flop it in the flour back and forth until it is well coated. Now back into the egg wash for a second dip, and then recoat it with flour. Now put it in the hot oil. You don't want to flip it a bunch or you'll knock off the breading. Fry it on one side until the blood and juices start making a mess and try to wash your flour off the raw side, then flip. You can then flip it another time or two once the breading has set to make sure it gets good and crispy. If you're frying up a bunch, then you'll have to keep adding oil to your skillet as it will eventually cook away. Set your cooked steaks on a plate covered in paper towels to suck up the oil. To make gravy, add flour straight to the oil until it makes a very smooth, thin paste. Add more oil or flour just alittle at a time to get it right. A little goes a very long way.This is your roux. The longer you cook it, the darker it will turn in color, and the richer in flavor it will be. For chicken fried's, don't let it get much past brown (be sure to keep your heat down on low). Now add in milk (a very little at a time, AND STIR. It will get clumpy very quickly, so stir the crap out of it, and add milk a little at a time to keep it smooth. Once it gets smooth and thin, stop adding milk, but keep stirring. The flour will begin to gel and lump up. You've got to keep these little balls moving to mix them in. Add more milk once it starts getting thick until you find your desired consistancy. Now you know the secret...

Comment

dip it in milk and eggs and a flour based mix of what ever spices sound good then fry it

Comment

I always put a little garlic salt in the pepper,and flour.

Comment

x2 on the garlic salt or seasoned salt or Tony Chacheres. I use buttermilk in lieu of regular milk

Comment

Originally posted by mharris1 View Post
                      Coat the steak in seasoned flour, dip in buttermilk, coat with panco breadcrumbs, fry at about 365 till golden brown. Crunchy outside, and tender on the inside.

panko or japanese bread crumbs are the way to go with CFS. i like to mix them with seasoned flour (tony C's and flour) a little shredded parmesan and parsley. the parm gives the breading serious flavor after is is fried. it doesnt hurt to have a great gravy either. i add a bunch of bacon, jalapenos or hatch chilis, and some chicken base.

Comment

I use unkle Chris steak seasoning (a lot of it) to season my flower. Tried it once and have been doing it every since

Comment

I cut up some venison steaks or backstrap and cut them about 1/2 inch thick and then use a stainless steel mallet and pound then out to about a 1/4 inch which will spread out the meat a little wider than your original cut. I also use the pointed side of the mallet to tenderize the meat. I fry my steaks in a big pot with high edges so that the oil won't splatter around. Makes clean up a lot easier. I season my flour with a good amount of black pepper, salt, and some Tony Sasheries Cajun seasoning just for some taste. I mix in two eggs and milk together in a bowl. The key to not having your crust fall off your meat while cooking or when taking it out is to dry dredge your steaks. Put your meat in the flour mix and shake off the excess, then into the egg/milk mix, and finaly back into the flour mix to get it's finaly coat and then into your hot oil. The first flour coating adhears the egg wash to your meat. My wife and 16 month old son loved them a couple fridays ago. Enjoy!

Comment

The trick to good CFS is always double batter and good hot oil. If your oil cools then the CFS will take on all that oil and taste like a greasy mess.

Comment

Take your backstraps and cut them into steaks.
                              Then pound them up to tenderize them. Dip them in some egg and milk then in flour andfry em up. Its heaven!

Comment

Working...
                              X