Pickled Serranos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickled Serranos?

Wife and I got a plant this season that's been way more prolific than we need. Do any of y'all have suggestions on how to preserve them? Anyone ever pickled serranos? Recipies?

Just follow the pickling recipe below; I like to add garlic, bay leaf, oregano, carrots and onions to mine. You will have to make slight adjustment to the spice to find what you like. I do this for every pepper I grow.
    • 2 lbs fresh peppers (any kind), washed, and stems removed
    • 2 cups vinegar
    • 2 cups water
    • 1/2 cup olive oil
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 2 teaspoons pickling spices
    Directions:
    1. Pack peppers into clean, sterilized jars, leaving a few inches at the top.
    2. Bring vinegar, water, oil, salt, and pickling spice to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve salt.
    3. Pour boiling sauce over peppers, leaving at least 1/2" headspace at the top of each jar.
    4. Place caps on, and screw on lids firmly.
    5. Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.( I have skipped this step with no ill effects)
    6. Remove bands when cool.
    7. Check jars seals before storing; any that don't seal, refrigerate promptly.
    8. Age several weeks before using.

Comment

Serg - do they remain crispy with that method?

Comment

Sounds delicious!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Txnrog, if you avoid the boiling step after you seal yes. Even with the smaller piquins, the peppers stay firm.

Serg

Comment

How long will they last if you don't use the boing step?

Comment

Glad I found this!

Comment

Do you cut them up? or put them in whole? If whole do you slice them to let the mixture in the pepper?

Comment

Originally posted by jkk831 View Post
                  Do you cut them up? or put them in whole? If whole do you slice them to let the mixture in the pepper?
                  My guess is you would have to cut them up to get the stems out, but I have never done it before so I could be wrong.

Comment

Thats what i was thinking when I read that but I have put them in whole with the stems before.

Comment

You just break the stems off. This does not open up the pepper in any way. If you slice or cut them they will soak all the juices up and be soggy. If you skip the water bath, boiling and the jars seal they will last for a LONG time. After pouring boiling mixture over peppers wipe rim of jar very clean and dry. Add seal that has been in almost boiling water, screw on band tight and invert jar on cabinet for about 10 minutes. Turn jar right side up and in a few seconds to a few minutes you will hear a "ping". Jar just sealed. Push down on top and it will be pulled down. Any jar that does not seal has to be re-done or refrigerated. Don't make this difficult

Comment

neat idea

Comment

I bet pickled serranos would be awesome. I bought a jar of homemade bread and butter jalapenos at a fundraiser last year, they lasted all of about a week, I couldn't stay out of the jar.

Comment

Working...
                          X