Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 06-03-2021, 10:12 PM   #1
highspeed
Ten Point

Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default What finger release are yíall using?

Iíve now had 3 accidental discharges with my Trufire Hardcore and Iím going to go with something else. Let me know what youíre using and what you like or donít like about it.
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 04:50 AM   #2
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Have you tried adjusting the pull/hold weight on your release?
I shoot the Carter 2shot and have fine tuned it to hold and break just how I like it to. But after a while, I have it set up just right for me.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 05:35 AM   #3
tazhunter0
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can!!!

Boss X for hunting or 3d.
tazhunter0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 05:54 AM   #4
80transam
Nubbin' Buck

Been shooting with the same Truefire release for at least 15 years , only adjustment I have made to it was turning the head so it's a little longer to avoid an AD
80transam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #5
highspeed
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
Have you tried adjusting the pull/hold weight on your release?
I shoot the Carter 2shot and have fine tuned it to hold and break just how I like it to. But after a while, I have it set up just right for me.
It doesn't go off unexpectedly at full draw (thank goodness). It goes off about 1/4 draw with no fingers near the trigger. I have adjusted the trigger pull and in doing so, I've come to the conclusion that this release is just wore out.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #6
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by highspeed View Post
It doesn't go off unexpectedly at full draw (thank goodness). It goes off about 1/4 draw with no fingers near the trigger. I have adjusted the trigger pull and in doing so, I've come to the conclusion that this release is just wore out.
Is it firing or is the hook coming off the loop? I've had this issue with another Tru-fire release. Tru-fire uses short hooks, and, if you twist your hand vertically during the draw, it will come off of the loop.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 09:30 AM   #7
DEREKG22
Six Point

Hunt In: Seeking

carter wise choice....and i gotta say, i cant ever get used to it still....when i shot a wrist rocket style release i did not have as tight of groups as with a thumb.....But, with the thumb i have an occasional flyer....by this i mean when im trying to shoot groups into a target ill have one shot every so often thats just waaay off...it bothers me...
DEREKG22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 09:37 AM   #8
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Carter switchback. Love it. But it's a tension release. May not be your cup of tea. I use it for practice and hunting. Fantastic release, easy to modify.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #9
highspeed
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
Is it firing or is the hook coming off the loop? I've had this issue with another Tru-fire release. Tru-fire uses short hooks, and, if you twist your hand vertically during the draw, it will come off of the loop.
I was fiddling with it some this morning thinking that maybe it needed to be cleaned, but I actually got it to do it a couple of times with just pressure from my finger.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #10
highspeed
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEREKG22 View Post
carter wise choice....and i gotta say, i cant ever get used to it still....when i shot a wrist rocket style release i did not have as tight of groups as with a thumb.....But, with the thumb i have an occasional flyer....by this i mean when im trying to shoot groups into a target ill have one shot every so often thats just waaay off...it bothers me...
I've tried a thumb release but I need to adjust my draw. Didn't feel comfortable to me. I get great groups with this Tru-Fire but I think its wore out.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:33 PM   #11
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've tried a thumb release but I need to adjust my draw. Didn't feel comfortable to me. I get great groups with this Tru-Fire but I think its wore out.
if you have to adjust your draw length when switching from wrist to hand held release, your bow isnt set up correctly. The only thing that should change between the 2 is your anchor point.

Either your strap is too long and you are shooting with your fingertip instead of the first knuckle, or your DL is too long and you are anchoring way deep.

That being said, it does sound like your current release is just worn out and the sear wont hold any more at peak draw weight. There are a ton of great releases out there these days, and shooting as many as you can will help you decide.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 08:51 PM   #12
soldierarcher
Nubbin' Buck

Carter Quickie 1 plus
soldierarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2021, 01:26 PM   #13
highspeed
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
if you have to adjust your draw length when switching from wrist to hand held release, your bow isnt set up correctly. The only thing that should change between the 2 is your anchor point.

Either your strap is too long and you are shooting with your fingertip instead of the first knuckle, or your DL is too long and you are anchoring way deep.

That being said, it does sound like your current release is just worn out and the sear wont hold any more at peak draw weight. There are a ton of great releases out there these days, and shooting as many as you can will help you decide.
I am using my first knuckle and my strap is snug, but not tight on my wrist. The anchor point is what threw me off with the thumb release but I will admit that I didnít practice with it enough to get good with it.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:23 PM   #14
HunterDan2006
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, Texas

Sorry the Max Hunter Plus didn't work out for you. I love my TruFire Hardcore but you've definitely made me wary.

One finger release I have used with great success was the Spot Hogg Keaton. It is a very versatile release and you can shoot it several different ways depending on your personal preference.

https://spot-hogg.com/the-keeton/
HunterDan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #15
bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle of Texas

sure love my stan shootoff trios in large with a training pin
bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #16
highspeed
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDan2006 View Post
Sorry the Max Hunter Plus didn't work out for you. I love my TruFire Hardcore but you've definitely made me wary.

One finger release I have used with great success was the Spot Hogg Keaton. It is a very versatile release and you can shoot it several different ways depending on your personal preference.

It just didnít feel comfortable because I had to change my anchor point. I havenít gave it an honest chance to be honest with you. Shot maybe a dozen arrows with it at most.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #17
Kmiles84
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Name:  2B4BC7C1-0BD7-4E68-8F47-1C3749888FD2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  141.7 KB
Stan Shootoff
Kmiles84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #18
highspeed
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDan2006 View Post

I’m going to try the Max Hunter release again. I’ve noticed that I need to move my peep up a little because my anchor point has changed. I’m going to have that done tomorrow and see how it does.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:30 PM   #19
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

I shoot a couple of 4 finger Carter Chocolate Addictions, solid release and a great ďhuntingĒ one at that. Zero complaints, other than if I had to do it all over again Iíd get a 3 finger. Itís no big deal I just drop my pinky and shoot off three anyway. I didnít realize I liked shooting off a 3 finger until I had shot a 4 for several years but you live and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #20
HunterDan2006
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, Texas

Quote:
Iím going to try the Max Hunter release again. Iíve noticed that I need to move my peep up a little because my anchor point has changed. Iím going to have that done tomorrow and see how it does.
Good luck!
HunterDan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top