No announcement yet.

Food plot vs corn feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I do both.I don’t usually plant warm weather plots but I plant ryegrass and winter wheat together and put a corn feeder right in the middle.If I have time I’m going to plant some peas for summer time this yeas.Also salt licks made with table salt work well in east Texas pour it about 2 inches thick and about a 3 or 4 foot circle it will harden up after a rain or heavy dew it’s funny to see the deer stomp on it to break it into bite size pieces

Comment

Food plot vs corn feeders

I prioritized food plots for the first year hunting/restoring the family farm.

2 acre main plot, 1/2 acre kill plot, and I even threw 2 acres in there for dove.

I put an odd “capsule” brand feeder out there, but it hasn’t been throwing most of the year. It was too finnacky for me to keep fiddling with it. With 2 acres of food, I wasn’t too worried about a few seconds of corn throw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Most around those areas im guessing 20 to 30 ft high. It gets a good amount of sun. Do yall use the till or no till method? I dont believe there is an ag field or anything close. I know there are doe and smaller bucks that stay on the place. I will be trying both out this year and let yall know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Food plots are a big gamble in Mills county. Get a good stand about 50% of the time. When we get rain they are lots better for numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Therooster240g View Post
            Most around those areas im guessing 20 to 30 ft high. It gets a good amount of sun. Do yall use the till or no till method? I dont believe there is an ag field or anything close. I know there are doe and smaller bucks that stay on the place. I will be trying both out this year and let yall know how it goes.

The areas we recently cleared were formerly cedar and elm thickets. I disced up the ground then broadcast seed then used drag with atv. I'm getting a cultipacker to have better germination and more uniformity. What is growing in those 3 open areas now? Do you have a no till drill?

Comment

I have nothing but small tiller and hand packer. It was tall grass that was cut down with a weed eater. The smaller area is roughly 20 yards by 40 yards with a small tree in the middle. The others are bigger. The biggest spot will probably be next years project.

Comment

Originally posted by Therooster240g View Post
                I have nothing but small tiller and hand packer. It was tall grass that was cut down with a weed eater. The smaller area is roughly 20 yards by 40 yards with a small tree in the middle. The others are bigger. The biggest spot will probably be next years project.

Look back on this forum for good info. You can plant into the weed/grass thatch with decent success with spraying/cutting to make thatch

Comment

Working...
                X